Which is more accurate, measuring with syringes or the markings on side of jars?

[jo...]

For those of you do a DLMT, do you use a syringe to make your dose or do you rely on the ml markings on the side of jars. and then pull your dose with a syringe?  I ask this because I have several jars with ml markings on the side of them, but when I fill them up to the markings with the same same syringe, I get different amounts of liquid in each jar.

I found some small jars that had 10 ml, 20 ml, 30 ml... all the way up to 100 ml markings on the side of the jars,  but when I filled each jar with a 10 ml syringe (using the syringe 10 times to = 100 ml), all of the jars showed 90 ml which is a 10 ml discrepancy.  I used this same method with different jars I had with ml markings on the side and they all showed different amounts of liquid, with none of them showing 100 ml exactly.  I was disappointed, because it would have saved a lot of time making several batches of solution to dose from.

I am not saying which way is right or wrong, I just want to know which way of measuring is the most accurate.  Because, if the jar marking are not accurate, what makes us thing that the syringe markings are accurate?  Just a question for discussion which could lead to an accurate decision for all of us.

Well, unless you have some lab-certified standard to measure against, there is no way to know which (or either) is accurate. 

But accuracy is really not important; consistency is.  As long as you use the same measure consistently, it doesn't matter if it conforms to perfect accuracy.

And because liquid so dramatically reduces the error factor, none of that really matters.  If you're using a .1mg=1ml solution, then, for example, a .1ml measurement error is only .001mg  5mg diazepam tablets typically have an error factor of +/- 5%, or .5mg variation.  Your liquid dosing will almost certainly be far more "accurate" than your tablet doses, no matter how you measure.!  Especially with diazepam, dose-to-dose errors are self-cancelling.

The whole concept of a DLMT is you're going to make gradual reductions NOT accurate or precise reductions

syringes are meant to be accurate, as long as they're medical grade.

Jars are not meant to be accurate. They're meant to hold an approximate amount, not to accurately measure it.

In the lab, beakers are not used to accurately measure liquids. To accurately measure liquids, there is a choice:

1.  a volumetric flask, which contains a certain volume, and the volume is marked on the very skinny neck of the flask.

2.  A graduated cylinder, to measure and pour out a certain volume. Not as accurate as a volumetric flask, but good enough for certain purposes.

I bought a set of graduated cylinders from amazon (10 mL, 25 mL, 50 mL, and 100 mL).

My syringes are more narrow than jars or measuring cups etc. With smaller surface area, I would think the syringes are more accurate.

I measure the Xanax mixture with a syringe (4.75 ml at this time). I put that in a measuring cup for one day and top off with water. Then I just pour one quarter cup per dose four times a day.

The syringe amount will keep going down, but I'll keep topping off in the measuring cup for four even doses that I can measure easily.

My syringes are more narrow than jars or measuring cups etc. With smaller surface area, I would think the syringes are more accurate.

I measure the Xanax mixture with a syringe (4.75 ml at this time). I put that in a measuring cup for one day and top off with water. Then I just pour one quarter cup per dose four times a day.

The syringe amount will keep going down, but I'll keep topping off in the measuring cup for four even doses that I can measure easily.

And no matter what the actual amount of your total dose is, 1/4 cup will always be 1/4 of that days dose!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I do everything with the same 50 ml syringe which has 50 marks.

I dissolve my 1 mg lorazepam tablet in 100 ml water, which is 2 full syringes.

I draw my daily dose out with the same syringe.

This way it is easy to work with an accuracy of 1 ml, which is 0.01 mg lorazepam

I do everything with the same 50 ml syringe which has 50 marks.

I dissolve my 1 mg lorazepam tablet in 100 ml water, which is 2 full syringes.

I draw my daily dose out with the same syringe.

This way it is easy to work with an accuracy of 1 ml, which is 0.01 mg lorazepam

Where did you get the 50 ml syring?  And thanks for the reply.