Lexapro and benzos withdrawal. I´m feeling a lot of fear.

[Ho...]

Hi! I have been for 12 weeks off benzos and I started to taper Lexapro. My doctor gave me this because I was diagnosed with OCD. Right now I´m just taking a little bit less than I pill of Lexapro  (10mg) but I been experiencing a lot of fear, fear of my thoughts, of going crazy, feeling depressed, confused and exhausted. I feel like I can´t think clearly and I get scared easily. Is this normal during the taper of these drugs? Or am I letting the OCD do this to me? Is this just benzo withdrawal? I´m really scared of having hallucinations and many other crazy thoughts and I don´t know why. Is this going to pass soon? Has somebody else gone through this? Please help!  :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I have been for 12 weeks off benzos and I started to taper Lexapro. My doctor gave me this because I was diagnosed with OCD. Right now I´m just taking a little bit less than I pill of Lexapro  (10mg) but I been experiencing a lot of fear, fear of my thoughts, of going crazy, feeling depressed, confused and exhausted. I feel like I can´t think clearly and I get scared easily. Is this normal during the taper of these drugs? Or am I letting the OCD do this to me? Is this just benzo withdrawal? I´m really scared of having hallucinations and many other crazy thoughts and I don´t know why. Is this going to pass soon? Has somebody else gone through this? Please help!  :(

Maybe you started to taper escitalopram too early. 10 mg is a low dose. Twelve weeks off the BZD is a very short period of time. Maybe it would make sense to hold the escitalopram till you stabilize.

Hi, I thought nobody answered to this post. Yes, I realized I was tapering Lexapro way too fast. Now, I ´ve been holding the dose for 5 weeks and I´m feeling a bit better.

I wasn´t taking a mid dose. My original dose of Lexapro was 20 mg but like a year before I started my tapering from benzos, I started taking only 15 mg. (Why? Ignorance. I didn´t know I had to be careful and taper it :P). So I started tapering 15 mg, but when I reached a bit less than 10 mg I started feeling that terrible fear, so I stopped reducing the dose. I don´t know when to start tapering it again, and honestly, I´m scared to do that. I think I´m going to wait more time because I don´t want to feel like that ever again. It´s too much for me to have benzos withdrawal and SSRI withdrawal... Although, my family wants me to quit Lexapro, they say it is causing all of my anxiety. I don´t know what to do. Any advice?  :-\

Hi again Honey Lemon,

I am not allowed to give firm advice but I have withdrawn dozens of patients from escitalopram and citalopram. I have to be honest and say it’s not that nice. The main things are anxiety, nausea and head zaps.

I have also withdrawn from it myself ten years ago.  I was on ten mg while looking after my wife. 

I went 5/10alternate then 5 /5/10 for some weeks then 5 a day then 2.5/ 5  etc. I had foul zaps and some panics on the motorway. They tried sertraline without success instead.

So they thumped me on Seroquel ——very bad decision.

I think you are right to go really slowly on the escitaloptam even if it takes 6 months.

I applaud you getting off the the benzos but perhaps wait a bit longer as Estee said.

Escitalopram is vey safe at that dose Imho

Best wishes

Dick

I am also taking lexapro (10 mgs). After I stop the valium, I will continue with the lexapro for another 3-6 months before I attempt a slow taper. :-)

Data guy sent me a link re ADWithdrawal, and I think my suggested withdrawal above my be too fast now we know more about it. He posted it on my post on akathisia today D

Dickie