I've been on 300 mg of Gabapentin at night for sleep. Will I still heal?

[Ma...]

The last few weeks have been brutal with my symptoms. I have soo much sensitivity, intrusive thoughts, nerve pain, and boating like crazy..

I've been about 9 months off of .5mg of Klonipin now, I had also been on about 900 mg of Gabapentin during that time which I had tapered down to 300 mg per night for sleep, as it been soo difficult, as I feel as though I am sleeping through fire many nights. So even amidst these horrible symptoms,  I have wanted to get off of the remaining Gaba as I truly wish to heal, but I'm so afraid as I don't want to be any more uncomfortable than I already am.

Bottom line.. Could  this small dose of Gabapentin possibly contrbute to impeding my healing? If so, then I guess I would need to taper.. ugh.. I can't bear feeling any worse nerve pain than I'm already experiencing.

Sleep has improved ever so slightly.. some nights, not all,  n it has been the only thing that has improved at all so far.. so it would be a scary move.

Does a drug like this actually inhibit the gaba receptors from naturally growing back, as we're told they will, with time?

Also, I eat a fairly clean, rich in nutrients kind of diet.. quite strict about it usually.. I have also been completely off of alcohol and caffeine for months, of course. but lately, I have fudged a bit here n there on maybe a scoop of ice cream or piece of pizza. It has  been soo many months of not having anything.. fun like that, that I succumb to a craving maybe once or twice a week now. I believe it can rev up symptoms,  as I suffered from intense sx's all day Monday, after doing this on Sunday.. but does this actually impede the brain from healing Gaba receptors from growing back sooner?

As for the nerve pain these days.. does this more intense wave of feeling all my nerves.. pain, more severe, and throughout my entire body, mean that I'm actually healing?Essentially "waking up" from the tranquilizer K that I had been on for 5 years? If so, I'll be welcoming it, instead of fearing it so much.. Yet, when it feels this bad, it doesn't often seem as though it could be a good thing.

Apologies for my running on and on.. seems to be part of this weirdness too..My filter not so good, n my thoughts are all over the place these days. :/

Geez, I'm such a limbo, and still soo confused about it all.

I’m on 2,000mg gaba

CT’d of 5mg K about 15 months ago

It’s gotten better...SLOWLY.

I’ve been buzzy, and spinning for months

The doctors think it’s vestibular migraines

I think it’s medication injury.

From gaba or protracted Benzo, idk.

I’m in the same boat as you.

The only relief I’ve had was Topamax.

15mg

But I felt sooooo zombified for 24 hours

Congratulations on your progress. Sometimes it seems extremely slow, but you are healing. Some people have more symptoms than others, and although we share common stories, each person handles it a bit differently based on age, sex, general health, and genetics. Your timeline is not necessarily mine or vice-versa.  Be kind to yourself. If a person had a traumatic brain injury or stroke, no one would set unrealistic healing goals for them...you deserve the same consideration.  :smitten:

Both gabapentin and pre-gabalin are anti-convulsants.  A 2008 study showed anti-convulsants can cause distress, even suicidal thoughts. The FDA required Pharma to put a warning on them. Using gabapentin, and withdrawal from it can contribute to these intrusive thoughts, etc. you describe. (Had two relatives on it- they had all the same problems too.) This was also my experience with pre-gabalin (gabapentin's wicked cousin).

We all seem to agree about the need to avoid triggering events- alcohol/ high sugar foods/caffeine, psychological stressors, and too much physical exertion. I understand the desire to remain drug free after the Klonipin, but you might need a little help. Each person is different so that what helps me may do nothing for you. I'm offering my experiences; make your own choices.  There is Ashton, and alternative routes like Dr. Abram Hoffer's (Canadian psychiatrist) withdrawal protocol. I did both.

I had all the usual- panic attacks, intrusive thoughts, muscle tremors, disturbed sleep. I needed some assistance due to these, and severe bouts of vomiting. These are my choice: Tapered pre-gabalin at 10% intervals. (If your Doctor is skeptical about slow tapers, show him or her  CDCs guidelines https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/pdf/clinical_pocket_guide_tapering-a.pdf.)  I used very low dose Valium on Ashton (6mg/day to start).  Also did Hoffer's vit C and niacin. Vit C helped me with muscle tremors, and some anxiety. Use a buffered form to avoid GI upset. The niacin (non-flush only) helps with psychological factors/relaxation. Hoffer used flushing niacin. but the protocol was shorter. For myself, I'll do the flushing intermittently, but find it tends to aggravate me.

I use very low dose Taurine for muscle tremors. It is a pseudo amino acid, and a natural anti-convulsant. It has numerous benefits like healing diabetic eye problems. Very important- taurine drops blood sugar so you must eat something when you take it. I noted in myself, and seems confirmed with others' comments, don't let the blood sugar drop.  When it does, the adrenals turn on.  This can trigger an episode. I often do a protein snack like a teaspoon of nut butter before bed to help with sleep.

I am off pre-gabalin 18 months, and Valium taper for 7 months. Not symptom free, but improving. I still use a minimal dose of natural items daily for regulation of sleep, etc. I use more if there is a flare up. Please hold onto the assurance that it takes time for the nervous system to right itself. You're getting better every day, no matter how it may look or temporarily feel.

Thank you hothot and meganz for your replies. Your responses always welcome. Still not able to titrate iff of my last 300 mg of Gaba. My waves so bad the past two weeks I cannot bear to think of causing any more discomfort to myself as of yet. Fire under my skin everywhere now, where it used to be primarily in my feet and legs. Intrusive thoughts that there are no words for. A level of grief, no way to describe, yet I am absolutely unable to cry.

Thanks again for your kind words of hope.  :angel: I choose to believe this is all on the the path towards healing.  :smitten:

• 1 month later...
I am on 100mg 3 times a day. Do you feel drowsiness from it? Sometimes i have to add 150mg valproate to shut me down. But thats me