Ativan for Sleep

[...]

Hi all,

I've been taking Ativan for sleep for about a year now without really understanding the dangers of benzos.  I have been very dangerous in using it because I didn't understand the importance of gradually changing doses - I just took it when I needed it to sleep, changing doses depending on how anxious I was, would stop, then eventually rebound.  I was very foolish.  I currently take about 1.25 mg Ativan to sleep.  Do I need to switch to Valium and then taper if I only take Ativan for sleep?  Or can I just gradually reduce the amount of Ativan I take for sleep?

Hi kjt :hug: and Welcome to Benzobuddies

We are glad you found us. Congratulations on making the decision to taper!  we can help you with support and taper/withdrawal information.  Choose a taper plan that works best for you, In general it’s advised to cut your daily dose by between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  This is depending on how you feel.  If symptoms get too much then you might decide to cut less,  the goal is to remain as functional as possible whilst moving forwards. 

Check out the Ashton Manual, It’s great for understanding the effect benzodiazepines have on our body.  It also provides tapering and withdrawal information.  You will find some valuable support and info on the forum.  Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

You might wish to post to the this support group, 

Ativan Tapering Support Thread

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

Insomnia 

When you can, please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Kjt,

I’m sorry you’re taking a benzo.  I can’t help you with tapering.  I welcome you to BB where you will find support.  I felt foolish I did not know anything about benzos.

SaraSue  :smitten:

Valium isn’t all that sedating at the equivalent dose.

I would look into sleep hygiene first and foremost. Often it just accepting we have rotten nights!

But please look to come off benzos. It’s not a race either.

I believe you may be better off getting used to a liquid taper of Ativan. 

Someone whose experienced both will be along shortly.

Good luck with it

Dick

I'm also curious if I should split my doses 3 x per day so that I take 0.25 in the morning, 0.25 in the afternoon, and 1.0 at bedtime.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Correction: I meant 0.25 in the morning 0.25 in afternoon and 0.75 at night (though I'm concerned that may not be enough to help me sleep...)

Yet another correction.  I am actually taking 2.5 mg Ativan each night.  I take in liquid form, and I thought 1 mL was equal to 1 mg, but is actually equal to 2 mg.....

Would appreciate any help/ advice I can get on tapering off of this.  I think I will start doing the 3 separate doses each day vs. doing the whole dose at night (though I'd like the night dosage to be a little more to help with sleep).  So I'm thinking of taking 0.5 mg in the morning, 0.5 mg in the afternoon and 1.5 mg at night.  Then should I switch to Valium?

I would greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts/ assistance in this...

Hi

You are on a fair bit of Ativan, enough to consider switching to diazepam.

Look at the switch in the Ashton manual and give it some thought.

You must remain positive and try not to cheat, though some folk allow a little extra at change over.

Ativan three times a day might cause dips, but the diazepam would be ok 3 x a day.

I would caution you though. The equivalent night dose of 2.5 Ativan is 25 mg of Valium. You might feel quite hungover so you could take 10mg at 6pm and 15mg at bedtime. Please double check your total doses carefully of Ativan at the moment, it seems that you are on 4 mg a day (ie 40 mg diazepam) --is that correct??

This is going to take time and patience.

You could ask Builder for advice, he knows his stuff.

Dick

I'm sorry for the confusion.  I am on a total of 2.5 mg Ativan.  I had only been taking it at night.  But now I'm spreading it out across the day to 0.5 mg in the morning, 0.5 mg in the afternoon, and 1.5 mg at bedtime.  Would that warrant the crossover to Valium?  I'll try to contact Builder.

I'm sorry for the confusion.  I am on a total of 2.5 mg Ativan.  I had only been taking it at night.  But now I'm spreading it out across the day to 0.5 mg in the morning, 0.5 mg in the afternoon, and 1.5 mg at bedtime.  Would that warrant the crossover to Valium?  I'll try to contact Builder.

Hi kjt,

If you're not experiencing interdose withdrawals dosing Ativan 3x/day, then that may well work for you.  I needed to spread Ativan out to 4x/day during my taper.  My bedtime dose was the largest, as I too initially took it for sleep.  Just listen to your body and adjust dosing frequency as needed.

It's not necessary to cross over to valium.  Initially, I tried, but after 2 days of feeling like a zombie, I decided to stick with Ativan - the devil I know.  I also had to remain functional for work, so couldn't risk not being alert and I didn't have the time to acclimate to valium. 

I just successfully completed a taper with liquid Ativan.  I found the liquid is much easier to measure for consistent dosing than pill cutting and weighing.

As others have suggested, builder can help you with a plan if you ask on the Titration board: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=62.0

You'll get through this.

xo,

sierra  :smitten:

Did you have to refrigerate your Ativan?  If so, how did you manage 4 doses per day?  I'd rather not carry a cooler around... :)

When I'd have to dose away from my house, I took a glass vial with just enough Ativan liquid for those dosings and an oral syringe.  I kept both in a small cosmetics bag. 

I think now we know where you are at the moment liquid Ativan makes sense. I believe from another thread it’s stable in solution. But do follow that link and you’ll be best supported as thing get lower.

You are aiming in the right direction Congrats in order

Dick

Thanks all.  I'm getting really freaked out by all of this.  I just had no idea what I was doing.  I'm worried I'm going to end up disabled from all of this.  Could really use some advice/ encouragement/ kind words.

Kjt,

The more you actively worry the worse you will feel.  (My opinion).  Worry is natural  :(

I say a 1000 times a day “I am healing” and I am.  You will heal.

SaraSue  :smitten:

Hi kjt,

I know how freaked out you must feel right now because I was right where you are a few months ago.  I won't sugar coat it and tell you it's going to be easy.  But please don't anticipate the worst. The good news about tapering directly from Ativan is you will know within a few days if you're tapering too fast and can adjust accordingly.  Starting with a slow taper rate will help get you comfortable & confident in the process.

I just finished my taper and am neither falling apart nor disabled as a result.  While I've yet to return to a full 8 hours of sleep, my symptoms are manageable.  Accepting some symptoms and learning coping skills will make tapering much easier.  Because I originally took Ativan for sleep, learning and implementing sleep hygiene skills has been key.  Setting up a good support system, avoiding stress, eating healthy, avoiding caffeine & alcohol, getting exercise and keeping a positive outlook have also helped.

Although these are not the sources of my glass vials (or a small glass bottle will suffice) and oral syringes, here's some links to give you ideas:

1ml oral syringe

https://westendmedicalsupplies.com/collections/syringe-only/products/1-ml-oral-syringes-with-cap?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyt_dmKza4QIVjMDACh0htQz2EAQYASABEgKxBvD_BwE

5ml oral syringe

https://westendmedicalsupplies.com/products/5-ml-oral-syringes-with-cap-50pk

30ml amber glass vial

https://www.amazon.com/Resistant-Cosmetic-Specimen-Container-Phenolic/dp/B01B8J1QCM/ref=sr_1_24?keywords=amber+glass+vial&qid=1555614111&s=industrial&sr=1-24

Make sure your oral syringe fits into the vial/bottle opening  :)

Hope this helps get you started. 

Take a deep breath and believe in yourself.  To get through this don't overwhelm yourself, but instead pace yourself. You can do this.  One day at a time, one hour at a time, one moment at a time.

xo,

Thanks Sierra.  I really appreciate your support and advice.  Did you add water to the Ativan in the glass vial, and if so, when (when you prepared it or right before you took it)? I'm supposed to add my liquid Ativan to 1 oz. of water.

Also, how bad was your attempted switch to Valium?  I'm concerned about weaning directly off Ativan - I'm on a fairly high dose I think and I've been on and off it for over a year...

Thanks Sierra.  I really appreciate your support and advice.  Did you add water to the Ativan in the glass vial, and if so, when (when you prepared it or right before you took it)? I'm supposed to add my liquid Ativan to 1 oz. of water.

To be clear, the vial is for taking day trips away (i.e. to the office, etc.), so being able to dose away from home.  You could either get your doctor to prescribe liquid lorazepam (Ativan) or you can make your own in a larger glass jar.

For instructions on making your own with the tablets you have, head on over to the Titration board and ask: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=62.0

Also, how bad was your attempted switch to Valium?  I'm concerned about weaning directly off Ativan - I'm on a fairly high dose I think and I've been on and off it for over a year...

In my situation, I only tried valium for 2 days and it completely knocked me out to the point of losing pretty much all the mental clarity I had left.  It turned me into a zombie.  Others have the experience that it takes a few weeks to acclimate and the heavy sedation then wanes.  And still others have no problem transitioning over to valium.  What I'm saying is you won't know until you try it.  If you choose to do so, you'd need your doctor to prescribe the valium equivalent of the Ativan dose you're currently taking (valium may be obtained as a liquid from the pharmacy).  The equivalency may be calculated with this conversion:  1mg Ativan = 10mg Valium. 

Hope this helps get you started.

xo,

KJT,

I started out for two years on 2 MGS of Ativan taking nightly for sleep then the doctor switched me over to Clonazepam in December 2018 because he said it had a longer "half-life" so easier to ween off of, well I weened and ONLY lasted 16 days and then the symptoms gotten too much to handle, DP/DR, tingling all over, interdose anxiety like I needed to take another to feel ok, and worse was the insomnia which made me crack.

I FINALLY switched over to Valium and that has saved my sanity, it is the oldest lowest potent benzo and has the longest half-life (over 200 hours vs only 40 hours for Ativan) so you do not suffer interdose symptoms and "have" to dose during the day multiple times. I was scared I would be a zombie on it as I read on here but I am only on 10 MGS to start (7.5 now) and only take it at night to sleep and it lasts all day the next day until bedtime again.

That is why Heather Ashton recommends it for a successful tapering plan, however many other members have also stuck to Ativan and just multi-dosed throughout the day and got off the medication as well, most recently above member "Sierra7" CONGRATS too again on your jump!!

But in my own opinion most my benzo life (2.5 years) have been with Ativan as per my signature but it was only when I switched over to Valium is when I felt the most normal and easiest to taper and still work and volunteer and be a family man etc...

If you are comfortable on Ativan then stay on it but just multi-dose throughout the day but if you wanna switch then go to Valium, BTW too, I didn't need the equivalent amount of Valium to Ativan to stabilize and feel fine because Valium is sedative so I only started out on 10 MGS not 20, but since you take higher doses of Ativan, if you decide to switch then try say 20 MGS of Valium instead of 25.

It is kind of sedating so I only take it at night and I do feel bit drowsy in the morning however after my morning decaf coffee, shower and some fresh air I am fine all day.

Either way Good Luck!!!!

Hi Sierra,

Thanks for your response.  I am already taking liquid Ativan, it's just that the instructions say to add the liquid Ativan to 1 oz. of water.  I don't know how necessary that is to do, but that is what the instructions say.  Did you add any water to your liquid Ativan in the glass vial, and if so, when (when you prepared it or right before you took it)?

kjt and others

I have given “advice”  in the thread which is outside the rules of BB

I apologise to all and will be more cautious in my postings,

Best wishes

Dick

KJT

There is an active Ativan Tapering group. It is very worthwhile.  I am relatively new here (about 1 month) and maybe the moderator can lead you to it. If not just respond to me and I will ask someone in the Group how to get you there. I began on 4 mg for sleep February and began my ultra slow tapering. I cut with a milligram scale. Powerball