Author Topic: Migraines  (Read 399 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Migraines
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 02:46:21 pm »
Megan has started on topiramate for vertigo (probably migraine type and WD) and it is licensed for migraine.
There is no reported interaction with triptans on web site however.
My daughter swears by triptans. They were too expensive for my drug budget until generic available!!

Dick
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 04:26:49 pm »
Megan has started on topiramate for vertigo (probably migraine type and WD) and it is licensed for migraine.
There is no reported interaction with triptans on web site however.
My daughter swears by triptans. They were too expensive for my drug budget until generic available!!

Dick
. I understand that all too well, the day it became generic, I celebrated  :laugh: :laugh: :balloon: :balloon:
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 04:31:18 pm »
I'm not advocating for or against the use of Sumatriptan. It is still part of my prescribed plan for symptoms related to cluster headaches.

It is a VERY powerful drug and according to this site, there are 175 known drug interactions:

"Drug Interactions with Sumatriptan"

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/sumatriptan.html

sincere best wishes

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 04:45:32 pm »
I used sanomigran as a preventative treatment for my patients for twenty years. Weight gain is an issue for some but it was great for adolescents as it aborted migraine quickly an i weaned them off with no problems or relapse.
I believe itís an antihistamine and certainly was good for mildly anxious folk with cluster headaches.
And of course as [...] said we were limited to giving 4 triptans a month on grounds of cost.
Ho hum
Dickie

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 05:16:34 pm »
Forty, you state you "weaned them off with no problems or relapse."

Do you mean your adolescent patients had no relapse of migraine (they were cured?) or they had no relapse from withdrawal symptoms related to Sanomigran?

This article indicates: "It (Sanomigran) is not effective in relieving migraine attacks once in progress." There are other items that should be of concern to those considering its use:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizotifen

Not so Ho Hum chronic cluster headache patient, best wishes

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 05:49:33 pm »
When I used it we always agreed a short term treatment. NOT the full dose of 1.5mg at night but 0.5 for two weeks and then max 1mg. Review at two weeks and about 6w. Then the agreement was 3 months. Then down to 0.5 at night for two weeks and stop.
No complaints in coming off received. Several letters of thanks. Continued to look after this cohort for years. No long term relapse.
It was a preventative NOT a treatment once started of course and very effective.
I am always happy to be corrected and can assure you I was never a pen happy GP--
I am sorry you have problems.
Best wishes
Dick

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 02:29:25 am »
I started getting sinus migraines last week-the WORST nose and eye pain I've ever had! Not allowing a moment's rest from the pain. Usually starts late afternoon inti the wee hours of late night. I've suffered from sinusitis on and off for 30 years but, nothing like the sinus pain that crushes my eyes/nose for hours! Only thing I started taking as of late is Tumeric for shoulder inflammation. Will not take a dose of Tumeric tomorrow to see if that's causing my sinuses to explode with pain!  Possible EXTRA sensitive to seasonal allergies now? I can't take all these added and weird ailments/SXS?. MY BODY IS RIDDLED WITH A NEW AILMENT AND SX EVERY MONTH!
Are Migraines common in W/D with some????
Thanks

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 06:18:54 pm »
Really bad head pain / pressure most days... I believe this is more common with Klonopin users but I'm not absolutely sure. I'm 30 months out now and I can't really believe this is still happening to me. Quality of life with head pain / pressure / headaches daily = 0.

I don't know what to do for it... I've tried so many things but it never seems to go away.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this as well...

The only thing I have found to relieve the head pain/pressure has been ice for about 15 minutes at a time. Anything longer and it puts me in a daze. Know exactly what you are experiencing. Also as a substitute for ice try frozen peas.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 02:50:37 am »
Ice the only things what helps for my severe head pain too or cold water on my scalp.  I have this terrible headpain over 3 years 24/7.
Iím off benzo 3 years and remeron 16 months.
Not taking any medication.

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 07:20:38 am »
Started hemimigraines on reducing Remeron this last week.
Hoping itís short lived. Never has crazy paving vision and vertigo like it before. 
Bother
Dick