Migraines

[Me...]

Did anyone else start getting migraines in the afternoons AFTER detoxing?

I never had them before K....

15 months out and I get them every day

Really bad head pain / pressure most days... I believe this is more common with Klonopin users but I'm not absolutely sure. I'm 30 months out now and I can't really believe this is still happening to me. Quality of life with head pain / pressure / headaches daily = 0.

I don't know what to do for it... I've tried so many things but it never seems to go away.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this as well...

The head shit is the worst.  I never had migraines until I jumped. I finally got Botox six months ago and it helped but it’s still my worst symptom. Most other things are gone.

Are you on any other meds?

No I'm not on any other medications. I tried a couple of things in 2017 but nothing since then.

For all of you that have answered , you might talk you your Dr about Sumatriptan"s.  I have had migraines for years, they help me most of the time.  My pills are a 100 mgs but I try to get by with 50 mgs.  It's just a suggestion, migraines every day beyond suck.  Mary 🌺

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27206964

"Abstract

Background Impaired oxygen utilization and cerebrovascular dysfunction are implicated in migraine. High-flow oxygen is effective in cluster headache and has shown promise in animal models of migraine, but has not been adequately studied in patients with migraine. Methods In this randomized, crossover-design, placebo-controlled trial, adult migraineurs self-administered high-flow oxygen or medical air at 10-15 l/min via face mask in blinded fashion starting soon after symptom onset for 30 minutes, for a total of four migraine attacks. Participants recorded the severity of headache, nausea, and visual symptoms on visual analog scales periodically up to 60 minutes. Results We enrolled 22 individuals (mean age 36 years, 20 women) who self-treated 64 migraine attacks (33 oxygen, 31 air). The pre-specified primary endpoint (mean decrease in pain score from baseline to 30 minutes) was 1.38 ± 1.42 in oxygen-treated and 1.22 ± 1.61 in air-treated attacks ( p = 0.674). Oxygen therapy resulted in relief (severity score 0-1) of pain (24% versus 6%, p = 0.05), nausea (42% versus 23%, p = 0.08) and visual symptoms (36% versus 7%, p = 0.004) at 60 minutes. Exploratory analysis showed that in moderately severe attacks (baseline pain score <6), pain relief was achieved in six of 13 (46%) oxygen versus one of 15 (7%) air ( p = 0.02). Gas therapy was used per protocol in 91% of attacks. There were no significant adverse events. Conclusion High-flow oxygen may be a feasible and safe strategy to treat acute migraine. Further studies are required to determine if this relatively inexpensive, widely available treatment can be used as an adjunct or alternative migraine therapy."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27206964

"Abstract

Background Impaired oxygen utilization and cerebrovascular dysfunction are implicated in migraine. High-flow oxygen is effective in cluster headache and has shown promise in animal models of migraine, but has not been adequately studied in patients with migraine. Methods In this randomized, crossover-design, placebo-controlled trial, adult migraineurs self-administered high-flow oxygen or medical air at 10-15 l/min via face mask in blinded fashion starting soon after symptom onset for 30 minutes, for a total of four migraine attacks. Participants recorded the severity of headache, nausea, and visual symptoms on visual analog scales periodically up to 60 minutes. Results We enrolled 22 individuals (mean age 36 years, 20 women) who self-treated 64 migraine attacks (33 oxygen, 31 air). The pre-specified primary endpoint (mean decrease in pain score from baseline to 30 minutes) was 1.38 ± 1.42 in oxygen-treated and 1.22 ± 1.61 in air-treated attacks ( p = 0.674). Oxygen therapy resulted in relief (severity score 0-1) of pain (24% versus 6%, p = 0.05), nausea (42% versus 23%, p = 0.08) and visual symptoms (36% versus 7%, p = 0.004) at 60 minutes. Exploratory analysis showed that in moderately severe attacks (baseline pain score <6), pain relief was achieved in six of 13 (46%) oxygen versus one of 15 (7%) air ( p = 0.02). Gas therapy was used per protocol in 91% of attacks. There were no significant adverse events. Conclusion High-flow oxygen may be a feasible and safe strategy to treat acute migraine. Further studies are required to determine if this relatively inexpensive, widely available treatment can be used as an adjunct or alternative migraine therapy."

It is a cheap thing to try and I believe in trying anything that may help you.  I tried it, but it didn't help me  :(

Mary, did you try it with a non rebreathing mask and high flow oxygen (15 liters per minute)?

A non rebreathing mask looks like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-rebreather_mask

(Some modifications may be necessary to insure only 100% oxygen is inhaled)

I have cluster headaches and pure oxygen therapy is 90% effective for me in aborting attacks. Although I sometimes have to resort to Imitrex injections (which are very effective), there are possible serious health consequences from the use of Sumatriptan, including rebound attacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatriptan 

Mary, did you try it with a non rebreathing mask and high flow oxygen (15 liters per minute)?

A non rebreathing mask looks like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-rebreather_mask

(Some modifications may be necessary to insure only 100% oxygen is inhaled)

I have cluster headaches and pure oxygen therapy is 90% effective for me in aborting attacks. Although I sometimes have to resort to Imitrex injections (which are very effective), there are possible serious health consequences from the use of Sumatriptan, including rebound attacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatriptan

No, mine looks like a tank with a mask on it.  The suma shots used to work well for me, but they are more hard on the heart, so as I got older, I just went back to the pills.  They only cause rebound if you use too many, so just make sure you don't  ;). I am not advocating them,but I had chronic migraines for years, and they worked best for me  :)

Megan has started on topiramate for vertigo (probably migraine type and WD) and it is licensed for migraine.

There is no reported interaction with triptans on web site however.

My daughter swears by triptans. They were too expensive for my drug budget until generic available!!

Dick

Megan has started on topiramate for vertigo (probably migraine type and WD) and it is licensed for migraine.

There is no reported interaction with triptans on web site however.

My daughter swears by triptans. They were too expensive for my drug budget until generic available!!

Dick

. I understand that all too well, the day it became generic, I celebrated  :laugh: :laugh: :balloon: :balloon:

I used sanomigran as a preventative treatment for my patients for twenty years. Weight gain is an issue for some but it was great for adolescents as it aborted migraine quickly an i weaned them off with no problems or relapse.

I believe it’s an antihistamine and certainly was good for mildly anxious folk with cluster headaches.

And of course as Mary said we were limited to giving 4 triptans a month on grounds of cost.

Ho hum

Dickie

Forty, you state you "weaned them off with no problems or relapse."

Do you mean your adolescent patients had no relapse of migraine (they were cured?) or they had no relapse from withdrawal symptoms related to Sanomigran?

This article indicates: "It (Sanomigran) is not effective in relieving migraine attacks once in progress." There are other items that should be of concern to those considering its use:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizotifen

Not so Ho Hum chronic cluster headache patient, best wishes

When I used it we always agreed a short term treatment. NOT the full dose of 1.5mg at night but 0.5 for two weeks and then max 1mg. Review at two weeks and about 6w. Then the agreement was 3 months. Then down to 0.5 at night for two weeks and stop.

No complaints in coming off received. Several letters of thanks. Continued to look after this cohort for years. No long term relapse.

It was a preventative NOT a treatment once started of course and very effective.

I am always happy to be corrected and can assure you I was never a pen happy GP--

I am sorry you have problems.

Best wishes

Dick

I started getting sinus migraines last week-the WORST nose and eye pain I've ever had! Not allowing a moment's rest from the pain. Usually starts late afternoon inti the wee hours of late night. I've suffered from sinusitis on and off for 30 years but, nothing like the sinus pain that crushes my eyes/nose for hours! Only thing I started taking as of late is Tumeric for shoulder inflammation. Will not take a dose of Tumeric tomorrow to see if that's causing my sinuses to explode with pain!  Possible EXTRA sensitive to seasonal allergies now? I can't take all these added and weird ailments/SXS?. MY BODY IS RIDDLED WITH A NEW AILMENT AND SX EVERY MONTH!

Are Migraines common in W/D with some????

Thanks

Really bad head pain / pressure most days... I believe this is more common with Klonopin users but I'm not absolutely sure. I'm 30 months out now and I can't really believe this is still happening to me. Quality of life with head pain / pressure / headaches daily = 0.

I don't know what to do for it... I've tried so many things but it never seems to go away.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this as well...

The only thing I have found to relieve the head pain/pressure has been ice for about 15 minutes at a time. Anything longer and it puts me in a daze. Know exactly what you are experiencing. Also as a substitute for ice try frozen peas.

• 1 month later...

Ice the only things what helps for my severe head pain too or cold water on my scalp.  I have this terrible headpain over 3 years 24/7.

I’m off benzo 3 years and remeron 16 months.

Not taking any medication.

Started hemimigraines on reducing Remeron this last week.

Hoping it’s short lived. Never has crazy paving vision and vertigo like it before. 

Bother

Dick

The last 4 days, I have had head/eye pain 24/7.  Of course my head was exploding during acute but the pain  continued only in the mornings until this past Monday.  I too wonder about seasonal allergies.  There is so much crap in the air right now.  What do I do to get the oxygen treatment started?  I refuse to see a Dr. at this time. I am in U.S.  Do I need a script for a tank?  No clue.  Thanks

The last 4 days, I have had head/eye pain 24/7.  Of course my head was exploding during acute but the pain  continued only in the mornings until this past Monday.  I too wonder about seasonal allergies.  There is so much crap in the air right now.  What do I do to get the oxygen treatment started?  I refuse to see a Dr. at this time. I am in U.S.  Do I need a script for a tank?  No clue.  Thanks

If you are thinking the kind you can hold and breath out of, you can get them on Amazon.  :)

Massage therapy has done wonders for my migraines.  Also I went keto for 6 weeks and my migraines are less and less severe.  I often get migraines triggered by flashing lights- like the ones that give a seizure warning.  Does anyone else get that?  I don't know why that has happened to me but it started in withdrawal that I noticed the triggers. 

• 5 months later...

I use high flow 100% oxygen therapy for "cluster headache" at 14 liters per minute bubbled through a water filter. The regulator and non rebreathing mask may need to be prescribed or possibly obtained on-line, but large tanks & the oxygen can be obtained through welding/gas supply stores at MUCH cheaper prices than medical. Best Wishes