Author Topic: Migraines  (Read 655 times)

[Buddie]

Migraines
« on: April 17, 2019, 02:56:47 pm »
Did anyone else start getting migraines in the afternoons AFTER detoxing?
I never had them before K....
15 months out and I get them every day
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Migraines
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 06:42:18 pm »
Really bad head pain / pressure most days... I believe this is more common with Klonopin users but I'm not absolutely sure. I'm 30 months out now and I can't really believe this is still happening to me. Quality of life with head pain / pressure / headaches daily = 0.

I don't know what to do for it... I've tried so many things but it never seems to go away.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this as well...
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 01:27:00 am »
Are you on any other meds?

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 03:04:04 am »
The head shit is the worst.  I never had migraines until I jumped. I finally got Botox six months ago and it helped but its still my worst symptom. Most other things are gone.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 11:54:23 am »
Are you on any other meds?

No I'm not on any other medications. I tried a couple of things in 2017 but nothing since then.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 12:02:12 pm »
For all of you that have answered , you might talk you your Dr about Sumatriptan"s.  I have had migraines for years, they help me most of the time.  My pills are a 100 mgs but I try to get by with 50 mgs.  It's just a suggestion, migraines every day beyond suck.  [...] 🌺

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 12:52:14 pm »
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27206964

"Abstract
Background Impaired oxygen utilization and cerebrovascular dysfunction are implicated in migraine. High-flow oxygen is effective in cluster headache and has shown promise in animal models of migraine, but has not been adequately studied in patients with migraine. Methods In this randomized, crossover-design, placebo-controlled trial, adult migraineurs self-administered high-flow oxygen or medical air at 10-15 l/min via face mask in blinded fashion starting soon after symptom onset for 30 minutes, for a total of four migraine attacks. Participants recorded the severity of headache, nausea, and visual symptoms on visual analog scales periodically up to 60 minutes. Results We enrolled 22 individuals (mean age 36 years, 20 women) who self-treated 64 migraine attacks (33 oxygen, 31 air). The pre-specified primary endpoint (mean decrease in pain score from baseline to 30 minutes) was 1.38  1.42 in oxygen-treated and 1.22  1.61 in air-treated attacks ( p = 0.674). Oxygen therapy resulted in relief (severity score 0-1) of pain (24% versus 6%, p = 0.05), nausea (42% versus 23%, p = 0.08) and visual symptoms (36% versus 7%, p = 0.004) at 60 minutes. Exploratory analysis showed that in moderately severe attacks (baseline pain score <6), pain relief was achieved in six of 13 (46%) oxygen versus one of 15 (7%) air ( p = 0.02). Gas therapy was used per protocol in 91% of attacks. There were no significant adverse events. Conclusion High-flow oxygen may be a feasible and safe strategy to treat acute migraine. Further studies are required to determine if this relatively inexpensive, widely available treatment can be used as an adjunct or alternative migraine therapy."

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 12:54:21 pm »
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27206964

"Abstract
Background Impaired oxygen utilization and cerebrovascular dysfunction are implicated in migraine. High-flow oxygen is effective in cluster headache and has shown promise in animal models of migraine, but has not been adequately studied in patients with migraine. Methods In this randomized, crossover-design, placebo-controlled trial, adult migraineurs self-administered high-flow oxygen or medical air at 10-15 l/min via face mask in blinded fashion starting soon after symptom onset for 30 minutes, for a total of four migraine attacks. Participants recorded the severity of headache, nausea, and visual symptoms on visual analog scales periodically up to 60 minutes. Results We enrolled 22 individuals (mean age 36 years, 20 women) who self-treated 64 migraine attacks (33 oxygen, 31 air). The pre-specified primary endpoint (mean decrease in pain score from baseline to 30 minutes) was 1.38  1.42 in oxygen-treated and 1.22  1.61 in air-treated attacks ( p = 0.674). Oxygen therapy resulted in relief (severity score 0-1) of pain (24% versus 6%, p = 0.05), nausea (42% versus 23%, p = 0.08) and visual symptoms (36% versus 7%, p = 0.004) at 60 minutes. Exploratory analysis showed that in moderately severe attacks (baseline pain score <6), pain relief was achieved in six of 13 (46%) oxygen versus one of 15 (7%) air ( p = 0.02). Gas therapy was used per protocol in 91% of attacks. There were no significant adverse events. Conclusion High-flow oxygen may be a feasible and safe strategy to treat acute migraine. Further studies are required to determine if this relatively inexpensive, widely available treatment can be used as an adjunct or alternative migraine therapy."

It is a cheap thing to try and I believe in trying anything that may help you.  I tried it, but it didn't help me   :(

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 01:21:03 pm »
[...], did you try it with a non rebreathing mask and high flow oxygen (15 liters per minute)?

A non rebreathing mask looks like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-rebreather_mask

(Some modifications may be necessary to insure only 100% oxygen is inhaled)

I have cluster headaches and pure oxygen therapy is 90% effective for me in aborting attacks. Although I sometimes have to resort to Imitrex injections (which are very effective), there are possible serious health consequences from the use of Sumatriptan, including rebound attacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatriptan 

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 01:27:50 pm »
[...], did you try it with a non rebreathing mask and high flow oxygen (15 liters per minute)?

A non rebreathing mask looks like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-rebreather_mask

(Some modifications may be necessary to insure only 100% oxygen is inhaled)

I have cluster headaches and pure oxygen therapy is 90% effective for me in aborting attacks. Although I sometimes have to resort to Imitrex injections (which are very effective), there are possible serious health consequences from the use of Sumatriptan, including rebound attacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatriptan

No, mine looks like a tank with a mask on it.  The suma shots used to work well for me, but they are more hard on the heart, so as I got older, I just went back to the pills.  They only cause rebound if you use too many, so just make sure you don't  ;). I am not advocating them,but I had chronic migraines for years, and they worked best for me  :)