Horsetail tea for insomnia -- maybe it helps

[oc...]

Like everyone else in there I have had bad insomnia since I started tapering. Mine has improved quite a bit in the last few months but it still comes in spurts. I will still cut and then spend the next few nights with very little sleep or sleep an hour - wake up - sleep another 30 minutes - wake up etc. Evening when I am sleeping "well" it will take me 2 hours to fall asleep and then I wake up every half an hour or so.

I also started having teeth problems. I think the medicine I was on leeched minerals and nutrients from my body for years and caused me to have a cracked tooth which I had to have removed.

So I started looking into things that can remineralize your teeth and I came across horsetail plants. You can drink this in a tea form. It is supposed to contain silica which allows for teeth and bone strenghting. So i ordered this tea. It came in and on the first day I drank a cup. That night I laid down in bed and in 10 minutes I was out like a light. I did not wake up for 4 or 5 hours. The next day I drank another cup and the following night the same thing, I was out of it. Now, during these two nights I had made a 3 percent cut.

Yesterday I made another cup in the morning and drank it. In the evening I cut another 3 percent. I went to bed and I fell asleep again even tho I had cut my xanax and I was having horrible allergy problems.

I got to reading more on horsetail and these are some of the things I found.

Horsetail May Alleviate Anxiety

Horsetail extract reduced anxiety in mice as strongly as the standard anti-anxiety drug (diazepam), shown in several studies. The anti-anxiety effect of horsetail is attributed to flavonoids, which are now being called the “new benzodiazepines” (anxiety medications) [R].

In fact, flavonoids may actually achieve calming effects by increasing GABA and other key neurotransmitters in the brain. But unlike drugs, flavonoids don’t carry the risk of serious side effects and overdose. The effects of flavonoids on the brain go beyond the simpler mechanism of action of benzodiazepines [R, R].

Horsetail Increases Relaxation and Sleep

When used in higher doses than for treating anxiety, horsetail increased the duration of sleep in mice. The flavonoid isoquercetin in horsetail acts as a mild and safe sedative. This calming effect opens the doors to potential therapeutic use for sleeping problems, and for relaxation before surgery [R, R, R].

https://selfhacked.com/blog/horsetail/

Now they say to use horsetail in moderation and in short term like 2-4 weeks and then stop and then up again.

Dont take my word as gospel. I dont know if horsetail was the reason for me sleeping better. Will it help those that were like I was at the beginning of my taper where i had zero sleep for days? I doubt it.

There are numerous benefits that are listed. And I have not had a chance to see if this actually works for all of them or not as I have just now started drinking it a few days ago.

Hope this might help some others who are suffering from insomnia.