Bulging Belly

[Sl...]

Hello group. I’m currently tapering from Lorazepam. I think I’ve been on it for about 3 years, who can remember really?  I started it after experiencing a panic attack. Since then, I take it everyday, twice a day. Currently at 2mg and so scared to go lower. My anxiety is at its worst as soon as I wake up. I take 1mg immediately then another about 3-4 hours later. I was taking 2.5. My stomach hurts bad, like it’s burning. The pain in mostly on my left side right below my rib cage. Some days, I’m so uncomfortable from the distention I can’t close my pants button. I have so much fear about this next taper, I just want to run to the hills!!  I’m also experiencing restless legs that are incredibly uncomfortable and keep me up at night. Any tips for any of this?  Thanks in advance 👍

zDFSObb.png

Hello SlowandSteady200!

We are very glad that you found us!

Sorry to hear you are struggling with withdrawal symptoms. Many folks have good results with a symptom based taper reducing 5-10% every 10-14 days.

I would like to suggest that you do some research on the various boards. Becoming well informed should better enable you to make difficult decisions as well as provide you with the tools you need for a successful taper & recovery.  You will find many knowledgeable members who will support your efforts to be benzo free. I have enclosed a few links below that may help you. Check them out!

Wishing you a smooth taper & speedy recovery!

Bella  :smitten:

Please take the time to tell us about your history by creating a signature:

For a direct link:

CLICK HERE --->

Create a Signature <--- CLICK HERE 

Links:

Professor Heather Ashton's

Taper Info:

Suggested reduction rate is 5% - 10% every 10 - 14 days 

Create Your Own Taper Plan  by Jim Hawk  You-Tube step-by-step  Tutorial Video

Other Tutorials:

Hey Slow and Steady, welcome to BB! 

Just a quick thought before We need you to fill out  your drug signature, the moderator sent in the email.  The distended, hurting stomach , imo, is probably what we call benzo belly.  A lot of us get it and there are some things you can try to ease it.

We'll discuss it more when you have your drug signature filled out, drugs, doses, time period .

All that's important for us to give you good advice.  Welcome again, Mary ♥️

I would also like to learn more about "benzo belly." I have never heard the term and am currently experiencing something like that.

Bulging Belly: One thing that helped me with RLS when I withdrew cold turkey from opioids and now with benzo withdraw is the old blood pressure medication Clonidine.  I only take it prn at a very low dose of .1 mgs. because it causes a noticeable hangover in my case, but it helps with restless legs (which is much worse during the acute phase of opioid withdrawal for many people).  It can cause rebound hypertension but that has never been a problem for me.  Baclofen (a muscle relaxer) 10 mgs. x 3 daily has also proven very useful in the past for me and is sometimes mentioned in the benzo detox protocols with which I am familiar.  I am currently waiting on a fill of that but my current pharmacy only carries the worst generic (Lannett).  Neither of these meds are controlled substances.

I would also like to learn more about "benzo belly." I have never heard the term and am currently experiencing something like that.

Bulging Belly: One thing that helped me with RLS when I withdrew cold turkey from opioids and now with benzo withdraw is the old blood pressure medication Clonidine.  I only take it prn at a very low dose of .1 mgs. because it causes a noticeable hangover in my case, but it helps with restless legs (which is much worse during the acute phase of opioid withdrawal for many people).  It can cause rebound hypertension but that has never been a problem for me.  Baclofen (a muscle relaxer) 10 mgs. x 3 daily has also proven very useful in the past for me and is sometimes mentioned in the benzo detox protocols with which I am familiar.  I am currently waiting on a fill of that but my current pharmacy only carries the worst generic (Lannett).  Neither of these meds are controlled substances.

HMOF, go to the homepage and type in benzo belly.  You will get so much information.  Lot's of people get it and there are many ways of trying to treat it.  We have gaba receptors in our stomachs as well as Brain.  One reason it is such a common symptom imo.  :) Mary

Welcome, slowandsteady.

We’re glad you found BB.  Benzo belly is so miserable, but a common withdrawal symptom. 

You can do this.

Welcome to BB! For what it’s worth, I still have benzo belly at almost three years out. I just wear sweats as often as possible!  Some foods might make it worse—gluten dairy or sugar . You would need to eliminate one of those for a few weeks and see if it’s any better