Should I try the ashton manual?

[Ia...]

Right now I'm splitting up .75 mg of Ativan into 4 doses every 6 hours. I read about the ashton method & I'm a little worried about trying valium. Is it stronger than ativan? I'm very sensitive to meds & I'm afraid if I switch to valium or take valium & ativan at the same time that I'll be knocked out & out of it. Anybody have experience doing the ashton method on .75 mg of ativan? My Dr said she didn't feel comfortable prescribing valium, she mentioned switching to Klonopin. But I was thinking about showing her the ashton method. Just don't want to switch to valium & be more out of it than I am now!

Folks switch to diazepam 1) because of its "low dose density", and 2)  its long half life, both of which make it more suitable for tapering .

K also has a long half-life, but its "dose potency" makes it difficult to do a dry-cut or scale taper.

But if you do a liquid taper, it solves that problem.  You could stay on the ativan and liquid taper, or switch to K and do a liquid taper.

There is an Rx liquid ativan, but you can very easily make your own liquid from either.

Folks switch to diazepam 1) because of its "low dose density", and 2)  its long half life, both of which make it more suitable for tapering .

K also has a long half-life, but its "dose potency" makes it difficult to do a dry-cut or scale taper.

But if you do a liquid taper, it solves that problem.

exactly, this is why i chose not to crossover to diazepam from Klonopin, because my body is used to Klon and the DLMT makes it super easy to titrate as slow as i want to and not worry about new SX's from switchign to a different drug.

TRUST ME, as a member whom just switched to Valium, DO IT.....it will change your taper and make it so much smoother, as builder mentioned it is the oldest but most importantly lowest potent benzo with the LONGEST half-life, thus why Heather Ashton recommended it.

I had 2 year Ativan addiction using 1-2 MGS per day then last December Doctor decided to switch me over to Clonazepam due to longer half life and "easier" to ween off of, however worst mistake I ever made and thank god I was only on it for three months. It is (to me at least) a very strong potent psychoactive Benzo that I hated the side effects from it.

I thought same thing as well about Valium, will I be a zombie etc....I am on 10 MGS per night and no it is no where as near drowsy as I thought it would be, I do not have interdose symptoms anymore, I have stabilized on it and am now going to a full time job and starting my slow taper plan.

But the side effect I do have TBH is kinda bit blurry a bit at night but that might be from staring at screens all day too but I only take my dose at night before bed, also use eye drops to add moisture to my eyes because like any benzo it dries your eyes out, and well other effect I have is kinda bit sedated when I wake up but that usually clears up with a shower and cup of decaf coffee and morning cigarette, but no to answer your question. Valium is no where as sedating as you think. I had so many more intrusive thinking, DP/DR, tingling everything from the clonazepam. Valium has been by far the best Benzo I ever took and will be the very last Benzo I ever take too after my Taper.

Thank you guys! I'll try to decide whether I'm going to do the ashton method or liquid titration. Both sound good. Nick 1982, it would be nice to not have the intrusive thoughts, depersonalization & tingly feeling anymore! Because I have that with ativan too. Thought I was just going crazy! Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Buddie!

I would just taper .75 of ativan. I would taper .25 mg every week. Because .75mg of ativan is not a high dose and exit your body quickly i would not cross over to valium. You will just be fine, at least i was, but everyone is different. This is something you should ask your doc and make a nice taperscedule. Do it your way, if you have to do it slow, so it will be. Listen to your body and eat healthy things. Try some sports or read a book or do both!!

Hope you will be fine soon. Try not to listen to "horrorstories". A .75 is a low dose, nothing to worry about. Stay strong. :thumbsup:

Taperdudep

Can you cope with a dose daily or twice a day? 0.5 is a tricky razor job to do 4 x a day! You might have dips in the 24 hours.?

I am with Builder on doing a liquid taper especially as you have had to updose recently.

If twas me I would learn the liquid taper and do it really slowly

And very best wishes

Dickie

If it was Valium 7.5 eqivalent you might get away with daily. Shame your GP wont let you take diaz--but you are determined. Good luck

I wouldn't suggest kicking over from Ativan to Klonopin. I found Ativan to be far more potent than Klonopin and, as others have pointed out, it is difficult to taper from Klonopin. I plan on kicking over to Valium once I get to a lower dose of Klonopin.

[ff...]

But if you do a liquid taper, it solves that problem.  You could stay on the ativan and liquid taper, or switch to K and do a liquid taper.

There is an Rx liquid ativan, but you can very easily make your own liquid from either.

THIS. The first 7-8 months of my taper were pretty manageable and meh uneventful. Things got difficult dry cutting when I got below 1mg. Liquid tapering has been so much more tolerable!!!

Sorry guys. I'm just now seeing these. I had to updose to 1mg a day. I'm taking .25 every 6 hours. I started Lexapro. I really need to try to get off this stuff, but I'm confused about the liquid taper. I tried to click on the video, but it's not available anymore. I feel like I'm never going to get off this. Had a panic attack last night and had to take extra. Even though I'm taking it every 6 hours😒Help! Not sure what to do. I'm only on 5 mg of Lexapro, btw.

Sorry guys. I'm just now seeing these. I had to updose to 1mg a day. I'm taking .25 every 6 hours. I started Lexapro. I really need to try to get off this stuff, but I'm confused about the liquid taper. I tried to click on the video, but it's not available anymore. I feel like I'm never going to get off this. Had a panic attack last night and had to take extra. Even though I'm taking it every 6 hours😒Help! Not sure what to do. I'm only on 5 mg of Lexapro, btw.

The videos are garbage, full of false and misleading information, and overly complex.  Here's liquid tapering 101:

1) Combine 3 ingredients (benzo, solvent and water) to make a dilute liquid.

2) Drink a lettle less each day.

If you can add cream and sugar to your coffee, you can prepare your liquid,  If you can read a ruler, you can use an oral syringe.

Lexapro can exasperate anxiety feelings, especially within the first two weeks of use. I took it for a month at 10mg and it was just too much. Couldn’t concentrate, constant anxiety and quite honestly it made me feel like a mad man. I know many others have had a ton of success on it so that’s my personal experience but I would bet your issues are stemming from the Lexapro but don’t give up on it yet.

Two months ago I had the same feelings as you and now the end is in sight for me. I was on 1.25mg of Xanax a night and now I’m down to 0.0625mg which is so low I’m not sure it’s doing anything for me.

I didn’t do a DLMT but it seems like it’s confusing to everyone at first then it’s pretty easy once it’s worked out.

0.75mg per day is not a lot of the medication in the grand scheme of things. I would recommend trying a dry cut of 10% and holding two weeks and see how it goes.  There are two parts of this journey, the physical addiction and the psychological addiction.  The psychological one is the harder part of the battle since it adds to your physical symptoms. The good thing is your mind can over power your body with positive thinking and acceptance of what you’re feeling.  Try working on meditation and you’ll start to notice positive steps. I NEVER thought meditation would work for me but it has been a lifesaver. I use the Headspace app on my phone every day and would highly encourage you to give it a try.

This will happen for you. You can do it and everyone is here to help.  Don’t rush and do what your body and mind allows.

I'm actually back up to 1 mg a day. How do you know how much to dry cut off the pill? And with the liquid titration if you cut back a little everyday won't you get withdrawals? I was going to try cutting 5 or 10 % every 7 days. Guess I'm still confused. Lol. And if I do a liquid taper, which solvent is best? Can't really use vodka due to health issues.

[ff...]

I'm actually back up to 1 mg a day. How do you know how much to dry cut off the pill? And with the liquid titration if you cut back a little everyday won't you get withdrawals? I was going to try cutting 5 or 10 % every 7 days. Guess I'm still confused. Lol. And if I do a liquid taper, which solvent is best? Can't really use vodka due to health issues.

Use propylene glycol instead.

I'm actually back up to 1 mg a day. How do you know how much to dry cut off the pill? And with the liquid titration 1) if you cut back a little everyday won't you get withdrawals? I was going to try cutting 5 or 10 % every 7 days. Guess I'm still confused. Lol. And if I do a liquid taper, 2) which solvent is best? Can't really use vodka due to health issues.

1)  The whole concept of a daily microtaper is you are more closely matching your cut rate to your body's natural recovery rate.  If you choose an appropriate rate, you will probably have only minor sxs, if any at all.

2)  Use propylene glycol.