Does the sedation from valium come down as you taper?

[jo...]

Anyone who has c/o to valium, does the sedation effect lessen as your taper lengthens?

Since I c/o to valium, sedation is my biggest sx.  Please tell me that it will lesson as I get further along in my taper.  I am at 14.880 mgs daily from 15 mgs 3 days ago. 

How far in your taper did you have to go before the sedation got better, if it did at all?

After 51 years I barely know I am on it.  But yes the sedation does disappear, and in the 70s we really didn’t know how quickly the patients got used to, and stuck on it.

I used stelazine not benzos for folk with anxiety in the main because a wise boss was wary of new meds especially in the massive 4000 bed units back in the day.

Dickie

I'm afraid it didn't go away for me, I am down from 20 mgs to 10.52 and I still have to nap at least once and some days twice.  Everyone told me it would ease off, but it didn't for me.  It has made the taper quite a bit harder.  Good luck, as you can see, it does ease off for most 🍀.  Mary

• 1 month later...
I am done from 15 mg to 13 mg and the sedation has not gotten any better for me.  Maybe it will get better the lower I get, but I am not getting my hopes up.  It may only take a couple of weeks to get better if you are only taking 5 mg or less, but not at a higher dose.  Just my opinion.

You’ve crossed over and it’s a long half life. You may want to take the bulk of it at night.

Suggest don’t go any faster though.

Best W

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on low dose and still it makes me dizzy and tired.  Of course I never sleep no matter what, it seems... my original problem.

Wish I knew which to try get off first... the.08 mg clon or the 1.75 mg valium.  I was trying to recross to the clon, as valium was awful... then at half way I got stuck.

Wonder if I were back on clonopin at bit higher dose if would be functional and could taper from there not be so incredibly symptomatic.

Anyhow, yes valium makes me tired/ fatigued.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone who has c/o to valium, does the sedation effect lessen as your taper lengthens?

Since I c/o to valium, sedation is my biggest sx.  Please tell me that it will lesson as I get further along in my taper.  I am at 14.880 mgs daily from 15 mgs 3 days ago. 

How far in your taper did you have to go before the sedation got better, if it did at all?

I haven't crossed from anything to Valium, but even reducing from 5mg Valium can be as rough as guts, although I could be sensitive to it. Valium is not as bad as Paxil though. THAT was a withdrawal and a half I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Honestly.

Valium withdrawal makes me very tired and dizzy. Whenever I cut, I have a day's "window", then two days of "waves". That's the rollercoaster ride though. So in answer to your question, yes, the sedation of Valium eventually goes away as you go further into your taper. The knocked-out feeling went away as soon as I cut from 7.5mg to 5mg which was about two months ago. 7.5mg nowadays knocks me completely on my backside, so I won't ever touch 7.5mg again!

Dave.