Hello

[...]

Hello Everybody,

I was suddenly taken off Alprazolam in a psychiatric hospital 42 days ago.  I had been on the med for 23 years at a stable dose of 2 mgs. per day.  At one point I was also taking Klonopin 2 mgs. daily and voluntarily stopped it with no problem.  This is a different story, perhaps because I was detoxed from a very high daily level of alcohol consumption and my opioid pain medication along with the alprazolam all at once.  It has been a rough ride and I thought I would check in here to see how others who may find themselves in a similar situation - having their benzos suddenly stopped after a long period of daily dosing - are faring.

So far I have found Propanalol to be very useful in dealing with the somatic effects of withdrawal along with Magnesium Glycinate.  I tried Belsomra for sleep but couldn't stand it.  If you want to know what the DT's are like give 20 mgs. of that horrible med a try.  It is interesting that the panic disorder that the Alprazolam was used to treat seems to stem from a physical rather than a psychological cause.  It seems like I get a serious adrenaline surge for no reason which sets up a reaction in my mind which begins an escalating feedback loop...I'm sure you all know the drill.  In any case, the Propanalol has been very helpful in that regard. 

I very much look forward to being a contributing member of this community!

zDFSObb.png

Hello HMOF!

We are very glad that you found us! Congratulations on being benzo free!

Sorry to hear you were so abruptly yanked off the meds and are still struggling. Cold turkey can wreck havoc. May I ask, what exactly are your present symptoms?

I would like to suggest that you do some research on the various boards. Becoming well informed should better enable you to make difficult decisions as well as provide you with the tools you need for a successful recovery. You will find many knowledgeable people here who will support you in your efforts to remain benzo free. I have enclosed a few links below. Check them out!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Bella  :smitten:

Please take the time to tell us about your history by creating a signature:

For a direct link:

CLICK HERE --->

Create a Signature <--- CLICK HERE 

Links:

Professor Heather Ashton's

Boards:

Other Tutorials:

HMOF,

Welcome.  I’m so sorry you were cold turkeyed off your meds.  I can relate.  We can offer support.

Healing is happening.

SaraSue

Hi

Well done. Not a kind way to treat you but you've done it and hope no post jump withdrawal.

Propranolol and magnesium I rate in my taper.

I hope you are not drinking alcohol whilst still vulnerable.

Best wishes

Dick

Thank you all for the warm welcome.  I am absolutely through with drinking (I hope).  It is at the root of most of my problems. If you are coming off of benzos I would strongly recommend staying away from alcohol.  It is a great anxiolytic for about 4 hours, after which it is one of the most potent anxiogenics in existence.  That is one of the main reasons why I drank every waking moment.

The worst problems I have experienced during my withdrawal are:

1) Severe ataxia.  If you have ever competed in a triathalon my legs constantly feel like your legs feel when you make the transition from the cycling to the running stage.  In other words, like lead.  So severe stiffness of gait and numbness.  To what extent this is caused by alcohol abuse and to what extent by benzo withdrawal I cannot say, although I remember a brief period of sobriety back in November when I was still on the benzos and experiencing problems with leg coordination and muscle stiffness.  It is worse this time, but I was almost dead from alcohol poisoning when I checked into the hospital.  My BAC was .35 and I was typically far more intoxicated than I was upon intake.

2)  Horrible mini seizures.  My doctor call them "Myclonic Jerks" which most people experience on a minor scale when they are drifting off to sleep.  Except in my case it is like my whole body convulsing.  Last night after I posted was especially bad.  Strangely I have no problem drifting off to sleep but those mini seizures prevent me from getting there and they are very scary.

3)  An overall feeling of being battered and bruised.  If you have ever received a sharp blow to the nose, that's what my whole body feels like.  This is very subjective and I can't think of a better way of describing it.  I do get glimmers of what life will be like post withdrawal.  Wednesday of last week I felt better than I have in many years and got my first nine hours of non chemically induced sleep in about 23 years.  So in this regard, it's like 2 steps forward and 1 step back.  Last night was like 2 steps back.  I have agoraphobia and I don't think I will make it out of my apartment today.

Just hanging in there one day at a time.

Thanks for sharing....you are brave and have the will, so keep sober, it is well worth the efforts... once fully healed you will be loving life again.  :thumbsup:

Best to you.... :smitten:

Thank you all for the warm welcome.  I am absolutely through with drinking (I hope).  It is at the root of most of my problems. If you are coming off of benzos I would strongly recommend staying away from alcohol.  It is a great anxiolytic for about 4 hours, after which it is one of the most potent anxiogenics in existence.  That is one of the main reasons why I drank every waking moment.

1) Severe ataxia.  If you have ever competed in a triathalon my legs constantly feel like your legs feel when you make the transition from the cycling to the running stage.  In other words, like lead.  So severe stiffness of gait and numbness.  To what extent this is caused by alcohol abuse and to what extent by benzo withdrawal I cannot say, although I remember a brief period of sobriety back in November when I was still on the benzos and experiencing problems with leg coordination and muscle stiffness.  It is worse this time, but I was almost dead from alcohol poisoning when I checked into the hospital.  My BAC was .35 and I was typically far more intoxicated than I was upon intake.

2)  Horrible mini seizures.  My doctor call them "Myclonic Jerks" which most people experience on a minor scale when they are drifting off to sleep.  Except in my case it is like my whole body convulsing.  Last night after I posted was especially bad.  Strangely I have no problem drifting off to sleep but those mini seizures prevent me from getting there and they are very scary.

3)  An overall feeling of being battered and bruised.  If you have ever received a sharp blow to the nose, that's what my whole body feels like.  This is very subjective and I can't think of a better way of describing it.  I do get glimmers of what life will be like post withdrawal.  Wednesday of last week I felt better than I have in many years and got my first nine hours of non chemically induced sleep in about 23 years.  So in this regard, it's like 2 steps forward and 1 step back.  Last night was like 2 steps back.  I have agoraphobia and I don't think I will make it out of my apartment today.

Hey HMOF. We really need you to go the the page the moderator sent you and go to your profile and open it up, look down and you will see signature.  We need you to fill that out so we can see your drug and alcohol history with dates and doses.  It gives us a much better chance to see the overall picture, which is very important .  Most people won't start replying to you until they can see that.  We all want to give you the best advice possible.  Thanks a lot, Mary ❤️