What’s better for insomnia? Remeron or Trazadone?

[Re...]

Of course no medication is best :) ...  i’m asking on behalf of a family member, who does NOT  have a history of benzo use.  Sudden onset of insomnia,  which I highly suspect was triggered by Prilosec! Weird I know ...  of course the doctor prescribed Ambien,  and after being on this board,  i’m extremely wary of any z drug.  Let’s say that you’re really desperate to get some sleep .... Would trazodone Or Remeron be a better choice than Ambien?  Which one is better?  I’ve tried both but only for a couple of days ...  they both did help me sleep but I remember that Remeron gave me the munchies.  I’m concerned about side effects and of course with drawl ! Thanks in advance!

I would use natural methods and not touch either with a barge pole.

Both help sleep big time but why oh why add a drug that you will have to with from to the mix.

Trazadone is used here for the elderly depressed.

Have been on both, sleep fine, stopping not straight forward.

Best wishes

Dickie

Well I've been on Ambien, trazodone and remeron. Ambien is an evil drug and has a very nasty prolonged withdrawal. Stay away. Trazodone took me at least 3 years to taper off and I had a very rough time. Lots of s/e's. Remeron made me fat, lazy, but I'm getting sleep from it. Terrible hangover in the AM. I can't get going until afternoon. I have to taper it soon, and I am not looking forward to it. Please tell family member to stay away from Ambien. That is the worst of the three. Burning pain and bladder spasms and inability to walk straight are some of the things that come to mind when I think about my ambien w/d. It's like a benzo.

I would look for natural things like melatonin and good sleep hygiene. I tried sleep restriction therapy and it worked surprisingly.

Becky :smitten:

The best "natural" sleep aids I tired (that worked) were camomille tea (brewed double strength), and melatonin (1 mg).

Oh, and there are plenty of "sleep music" videos on youtube. I just listened to the audio part. Very calming.

I did use Unisom Sleep tabs briefly. Half a 25 mg tablet. Wow -- it turned my lights out for 10 hours. Brother! And I was very groggy in the am. Some like it, though. Maybe a smaller dose? I'd only use it in desperation.

I still use camomille tea.  :thumbsup:

Hope this helps.

Katz

When I was having the worst insomnia from ambien w/d I searched the forums until I came across some postings from an old member jittery18. I read all of her posts. She had horrible insomnia. If you look up this member go to post 9. It explains how she did it.

I would go to sleep an hour later and get up a half hour to 45 minutes earlier. This consolidated my choppy sleep and made me more tired to sleep and stay down longer. It's hard to do at first, but it did help me. After a while my sleep became better and I stopped doing it.

Becky :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, shows how different we all are...  I would not touch mirtazapine at all, ever.  Worst withdrawals of them all, imo, even if only used 6 weeks.

Ambien no longer works so wish I was not on it.

Somewhere I read not do to, or expect you can do, all the standard sleep regimen stuff if you are in withdrawal as you are not up to it... ?  Made sense to me.  I mean sleep where you can if you can I rathe rthink...

For me Remeron withdrawal was almost as bad as benzo withdrawal.

Trazadone made me physically violent (I am a very calm and timid person).

So I personally would not touch either.

Did they try Vistaril, good old Unisom or Benadryl, 5-HTP, passionflower, valerian, melatonin, l-lysine?

l-lysine?  Is that like gelatin?  If so I thought I read not to take-- but then again has to be better than mirtazapine, etc....

If you want to try natural insomnia aids, here's an article that describes some. I'm not endorsing the article, or the author, just putting the info out there.

FWIW I have tried a couple things mentioned in the article and they work well enough.

https://blog.bulletproof.com/sleep-hacking-part-3-falling-asleep-fast-with-biochemistry/

I've never heard that L Lysine helps sleep. I tried L Tryptophan and it worked pretty well. Ditto camomille tea.

Some inexpensive, non-prescription ideas.

Katz