Best AD

[tr...]

Can anyone tell me the best AD to get? I know they're not recommended a lot But somethings gotta give here. Lost my Mom 2 months ago and can't get better, just need a little help maybe

AD's will not help you except in the short term(Very Short Term 1-2 weeks), They are also highly addictive. I would really think over taking any AD's & speak with multiple physiatrists, Doctors As well as find out all risks before resorting to them(Both diazepines & SSRI). Sorry to hear about your loss. Life is hard, But numbing yourself is not the way out. I hope you make the right choice. Best Regards. T.J.

I agree  with TJ, but ADs are NOT addictive in the traditional sense. Some do have a withdrawal and all should be tapered off. My main complaint with the SSRIs is they do not work. They do not help, so why bother taking them? There is some evidence that drug companies invented them ONLY to make money and were well aware ADs (SSRI) do nothing. These drugs were "sold" to the public via TV commercials. Their own studies (which were suppressed from the media) showed they do no better than a placebo.

However, some of the OLDER drugs DO seem to help some people. Tricyclics especially.

I DO agree that numbing yourself is no way to live healthily or happily. Good grief, look at me. I ruined thirty years being on benzos and my health slowly but surely declined. Once I got OFF benzos and ADS, my mood became positive, no depression and my overall health improved hugely. Something I learned the really hard way is that I could no longer lean on pills to ease my fears, anxiety, insomnia, etc. Benzos and ADs almost killed me. but they didn't, thanks to BB.

AD's will not help you except in the short term(Very Short Term 1-2 weeks), They are also highly addictive. I would really think over taking any AD's & speak with multiple physiatrists, Doctors As well as find out all risks before resorting to them(Both diazepines & SSRI). Sorry to hear about your loss. Life is hard, But numbing yourself is not the way out. I hope you make the right choice. Best Regards. T.J.

I am very sorry about your mom trudie. No one can answer that question for you, even the people that think ad's are ok.  Everyone one is different and even if you weren't in withdrawals, it often takes a lot of trial and error to find a ad that helps someone .  Mary ❤️

Mea culpa,

I did use to prescribe them occasionally for grief.  I agree with eastcoast that the older ones had their merits and some folk did really well on dothiepen, and it is easy to come off.

Otherwise I think sertraline is good as you really can adjust the dose along with the patient.

But I would google Joanna Moncrieff before you try an AD.

There is some evidence that psychotropic meds prolong grief and I am sure that was so in my situation. 

Everyone grieves differently and I am sorry about your mum. But as I said to the prescribing psych as he reached for his pen. “That won’t bring her back”.

I joined bereavement groups and tried to stay active.  It’s a hard road. 

Best wishes

Dick

To answer your question - I cannot say for you but I take an SNRI - Effexor XR and it basically turns my world from Black to Grey. It is addictive so I've had to taper. That was when I was going to try a different AD. Turns out that one didn't work as well so I went back on the SNRI. But that's just my case - it's different for each person. I don't advise either way as far as going on it or not - that's your decision. Hope that helps.

Losing mom is a terrible loss. I'm very sorry for you and I understand your pain... Only time can cure this suffering. Hold on! Hugs!

It took me a little over a year to feel better after my dad passed away. I think people have different  times of grief.  There isn't  a normal or abnormal  time for grief.

[26...]

Hugs and my condolences. I lost my mom 11 months ago and i know it's not easy.

For antidepressants, I am also looking for an answer as to which one, have tried ssri's and those don't work for me, cause more anxiety. Maybe the older tricyclic ones, but not sure. I know they help with sleep and can sure use that.

I'm new here just started taper 3 weeks ago. Will try and find out how to follow posts so i can get updated...hugs and healing to you

• 4 weeks later...

SSRIs and SNRIs do not even work effectively often for at least 4-8 weeks after starting them.  The anti-medication sentiment on this board is understandable in some cases, but some people had underlying issues before d/c a benzo.  If you are going to sail on that ship, at least get your facts straight.  This is a HUGE complaint that most people have about this board.

Can anyone tell me the best AD to get? I know they're not recommended a lot But somethings gotta give here. Lost my Mom 2 months ago and can't get better, just need a little help maybe

I am very sorry for your loss, Trudie.  I understand the need for help with the grief.  I have been grieving multiple losses for a year, so I understand what a long process it is.

I cannot recommend an AD, but I understand why you are feeling the need for relief.

Personally, I was on AD's before and after both my parents died in 2007 and it dulled the immediate pain but suppressed and prolonged the grief for years. Not good. Just needed to feel my feelings. I am so sorry for your loss and wishing you comfort during this time.

Because benzo wd comes as such a shock for most of us, we tend to think yet another pill might help us cope. Modern humans have been trained to think that if something doesn't feel right, we have to "take something" to ease it. I hope I never make that mistake again.

I no longer believe in pills, except for things like hypertension (which I do have) or diabetes or heart failure (which I don't have.) My own experience with drugs, especially benzos, only led to more misery, but it did not feel that way for years. In fact, I had NO idea how badly benzos were affecting my overall health until I got off of them. That was a huge shock to me.

Losing a loved one will never be easy. I moved to a new state just to take care of my elderly parents. My sister and I took care of them but because I was the "family nurse," you know who did the most difficult stuff. Plus, my relationships with both parents had been tainted due to something that happened many years back. I worked so hard too help them despite my old hurts. I succeeded but it was exhausting. I did the best I could and ended up being stuck here in Florida, a state I don't like. LOL! Life throws us curveballs.

east

Because benzo wd comes as such a shock for most of us, we tend to think yet another pill might help us cope. Modern humans have been trained to think that if something doesn't feel right, we have to "take something" to ease it. I hope I never make that mistake again.

I no longer believe in pills, except for things like hypertension (which I do have) or diabetes or heart failure (which I don't have.) My own experience with drugs, especially benzos, only led to more misery, but it did not feel that way for years. In fact, I had NO idea how badly benzos were affecting my overall health until I got off of them. That was a huge shock to me.

Losing a loved one will never be easy. I moved to a new state just to take care of my elderly parents. My sister and I took care of them but because I was the "family nurse," you know who did the most difficult stuff. Plus, my relationships with both parents had been tainted due to something that happened many years back. I worked so hard too help them despite my old hurts. I succeeded but it was exhausting. I did the best I could and ended up being stuck here in Florida, a state I don't like. LOL! Life throws us curveballs.

east

I definitely understand not wanting to take meds after going through benzo hell. My ears ring in shrieks and my heart palpitates as I type this.

But I am almost nonfunctional. Getting myself in the shower is a chore. I have to work. I have had depression and anxiety issues for decades. I don’t know what else to do.