Ferritin: Low Iron

[bo...]

On Monday, I'm going to a functional doctor and getting some vitamin and mineral tests run. One buddy has been adamant about getting my ferritin levels tested. As I read more about low ferritin, which are your iron reserves, I notice that I had many of the symptoms of low ferritin before benzos. Fatigue, lightheadedness, anxiety. Has anyone started an iron supplement during withdrawal because of low iron or ferritin and did it help you at all?

Anybody familiar with this? Here are the symptoms of low ferritin.

unexplained fatigue

dizziness

chronic headaches

unexplained weakness

ringing in your ears

irritability

leg pains

shortness of breath

I had four of these before taking benzos again and kindling.

I just did a search for low ferritin in your post came up. Did you get any information from your doctor? Are you supplementing?

My ferritin level is low. My dermatologist checked due to hair loss and I'm going to see a doctor today. I have all the symptoms you listed except for the ringing in the ears.

My dermatologist recommended ferrous gluconate but I have gut issues and I've read that some of the ferrous supplements are not absorbed well in the gut. When I was seeing a naturopath years ago I also had low ferritin and was taking iron carbonyl. I still have that bottle and I'm bringing it into the doctor today for her advice.

Can you get Spatone in the US ?

It’s a well tolerated iron drink and my daughter dietician rates it for her pregnant clients.

I only found I was iron deficient recently.  It was Omeprazole reducing absorption and excess blood donation!

That’s for pointing out the similarities

Dick

• 2 weeks later...
I've had good results with Proferrin, a low-dose heme source of iron. It has worked well to get my hemoglobin levels up, but it does take time. I believe it's an American product, but I can get it here in Canada. Kinda pricey, but for me, it's worth it. No side effects. You can take up to three a day, but I take two max. When I have my blood test done at the end of the month, I'll probably drop it back down to one a day, i.e. if my hemoglobin level is within normal limits again.

Hi again

For my own peace of mind I have to remind folk that in the absence of heavy periods or a very poor diet, a low ferritin level can be a sign of something like poor absorption but as a doc I always excluded bowel and renal tumours as a cause and would hope your doctors would do the same for you.

Dick

• 4 weeks later...

So my hemoglobin was at 10.5 (normal range 11.2+) and doctor wants to test my ferritin.  I guess I will but supplements usually dont' agree with me.  I had previously been on PPI and had excluded a lot of red meat.  I've been eating a hamburger each day.  Looking into buying cast iron skillets.

How do you know if some of your symptoms are due to low iron or just the benzo w/d?  Hard to distinguish.  Also, 10.5 doesn't seem all that low to me. 

Just afraid to add iron into the mix with stomach issues/prior reflux already. 

As a multiparous mum you will have been anaemic before I am sure. I suppose it’s what you are used to.

When we were in Africa the women did all the heavy work and often had Hb of 7 or so due to sickle cell disease. !

Raw potatoes was a cure for mothers who could not tolerate iron back in the day. 

Hope your doc nice and thorough.  Won’t help WD I guess but prob minimal effect?.

Best wishes

Dick 

So my hemoglobin was at 10.5 (normal range 11.2+) and doctor wants to test my ferritin.  I guess I will but supplements usually dont' agree with me.  I had previously been on PPI and had excluded a lot of red meat.  I've been eating a hamburger each day.  Looking into buying cast iron skillets.

How do you know if some of your symptoms are due to low iron or just the benzo w/d?  Hard to distinguish.  Also, 10.5 doesn't seem all that low to me. 

Just afraid to add iron into the mix with stomach issues/prior reflux already.

Do look up Proferrin, as it is usually well-tolerated. It's a low dose, unlike many of the other iron supplements.

I have heavy period so my iron is always low.  I was recommended Floradix iron supplements.  They're pretty easy on the stomach.  I also cook a big pot of beans after each period and eat them with molasses.  It's rather hideous but my body likes it.

I do agree with others that as a man, if you don't suffer from digestive issues, it might be a bit concerning if your iron is low.  Do you eat much meat?

• 4 months later...
I have low iron, but I think it was from Lasix and also a chemo wash I was given. I took supplements but felt anxious, so I quit them. I'm interested in Spatone. I've always had trouble with the stomach with iron supplements.