Urinary frequency

[De...]

Hi!

I’m at the end of my taper, a few days to go. I’ve had urinary frequency for almost twenty days. I had a urinalysis and everything is fine. Does anyone else has this symptom and do you have any suggestions to alleviate it?

Thanks!

I had this for a while. I kept waking up multiple times during the night to go to the bathroom. It has subsided completely.

Restoration123,

Read your symptoms, I’ve had them all!

What a journey.

Thanks again, you gave me hope that this too will subside.

Yup, this happens a lot. I would guess it is because as one heals, you start to relax a bit. Producing more frequent urinations. Nothing to worry about if your U/A was fine.

How are you doing otherwise?

east

Demelza,

This was an all night problem for me in months 1-3 (post jump), it has disappeared in month 4.

We are healing!

SaraSue  :smitten:

Restoration123,

Read your symptoms, I’ve had them all!

What a journey.

Thanks again, you gave me hope that this too will subside.

Glad you are feeling reassured :) The majority of my symptoms have gone away. Healing is happening! Hang in there!

East coast 62,

Otherwise as of today I’m doing pretty good, some generalized anxiety, my constipation is not fully resolved, but alleviated, all things considered, better.

SaraSue, For me it’s mostly during the day, I did suffer from this before during interdose withdrawl and had all types of tests for it, but every thing was fine.

Restoration123,

Hearing that your symptoms have cleared up gives me hope.

Thanks to all!

Hi,

It’s just a thought but phenothiazines and the benzos can cause central dehydration.

I was 20% dehydrated on Seroquel and my creatinine levels went very high. It is thought that when medicated we drink less and don’t feel thirst.

So over time our need to pee is less and our bladders are not naturally distended.

When we come off, or in my case down to 25% of meds we feel more thirst, drink more and I had to get up in the night for the first time in 3 years. Now settled nicely after about ten weeks on Seroquel reduction.

There was a study published on this and I will try and find it again.

Best wishes

Dick

I buy urine testing sticks from amazon to ensure I am keeping the wee right. Because when I was dry I was swimming in higher doses of meds in the blood.  -))

Forty long years,

Thanks for your response.

I’m definitely drinking more water than when I was taking my regular Xanax dose. I had a urinalysis last week and everything was fine. I just hope this symptom gets better like so many before it, I had every symptom in the Ashton Manual, and  slowly but surely they have improved.

Thanks again, every suggestion or word of encouragement is greatly appreciated.

🦋

Thanks Demelza

Dehydration on “shut up” drugs for the elderly in care homes is a common cause of dehydration and death. It’s quite a scandal in care homes and hospitals in the UK.

It’s so sad when visiting a psychiatric client for my work to be told they are deteriorating only to find the water jug is out of reach and cold untouched tea is on the locker! 

Ok rant over

Best wishes

Dick

FortyLongYears,

How sad, people should care more about the elderly, because unless they die young, they will find themselves in the same situation.

I’ll keep n mind the importance of drinking more water, specially since presently I’m living in a very hot climate.

Best.

When your circadian rhythm is thrown off by benzos you don't produce enough anti diuretic hormone I think, which causes frequent urinating at night.

I too have had this symptom along with many others.  For about 6-8;weeks, has not improved yet?  I have had multiple tests all negative.  Very pleasant to read so many have had this as well. I really wish I had found the form long ago.  How about sensitive skin?  Anyone experienced that? 

Has it settled yet Demenza

It should have

Mammoth I will research ADH hormones and medication and see what I come up with.

Best wishes.

Dickie

I have this also :'(  I have been in a wave since the end of January, I think brought on by stress.  This sxs has come and gone since I have been off Xanax. 

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.  :smitten:

lkingf4peace n Demelza

RE weeing more when off psychotropics.

I think its because  in use they cause Inappropriate  ie EXCESS Anti-diuretic Hormone secretion in some subjects. So Diuretics normally make you wee more, but ADH makes you retain fluid. I am thinking you (and I ) got so used to weeing less its is only when off or tapering we then slowly (but as Demelza) says get back to passing a lot for while.

I can find no studies to say how long etc but I copy below a typical medical paper.

I was dangerously dry only weeing once a day and my blood was so thick it went 20% above normal for Hb Sodium creatinine, as well as triglycerides. My GP said the private lab results were due to being posted overnight -)) Until her NHS ones showed the same-)

Best wishes

Dick

Hyponatraemia and the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH) induced by psychotropic drugs.

Spigset O1, Hedenmalm K.

Author information

Abstract

The use of psychotropic drugs has been associated with the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH) in a number of case reports. SIADH is characterised by the sustained release of antidiuretic hormone (ADH) from the posterior pituitary. The patients have a reduced ability to excrete diluted urine, ingested fluid is retained, and the extracellular fluid expands and becomes hypo-osmolar. The cardinal signs are hyponatraemia, serum hypoosmolality and a less than maximally diluted urine. Common symptoms include weakness, lethargy, headache, anorexia and weight gain. These symptoms may be followed by confusion, convulsions, coma and death. The early symptoms are vague and nonspecific, and they may even mimic the symptoms of the psychiatric disorder itself. For antidepressants, the risk of SIADH seems to be highest during the first weeks of treatment. For antipsychotics, the risk seems to be more spread out in time. The causative role of the drug may sometimes be difficult to estimate, as even drug-free psychiatric patients, mostly those with schizophrenia, develop SIADH on the basis of psychogenic polydipsia. Smoking is another factor associated with the development of SIADH, and the risk may also increase with age. The acute treatment of SIADH induced by a psychotropic drug includes discontinuation of the drug as well as restriction of fluid intake. In cases with significant clinical symptoms, infusion of sodium chloride is recommended. After the acute management, it is useful to evaluate the causative role of the drug by performing a water loading test and/or drug rechallenge. If continued treatment with an antidepressant or antipsychotic is indicated, a drug with a different pharmacological profile should be chosen, and the serum sodium levels should be monitored closely. If treatment with the drug that caused SIADH must be continued, concomitant treatment with demeclocycline may reduce the tendency of hyponatraemia.

Thanks Forty,

So if I am understanding this correctly (benzo brain here)  When I was on Xanax it created an ADH so that I didn't have to wee/pee as much....this makes sense because I didn't.  So when xanax is taken away the ADH is gone or reduced and therefore I am running to the bathroom constantly..... :'(.....

The only thing that is making me a bit mad is that it comes and goes.  My guess is stress is a factor.  I was great for almost a year...Then I hit the wave in January and here it comes again.....  So I guess I just have to wait it out?  and hope that it goes away again...... :(  Ugh....  I guess there is nothing that would increase that hormone ..... :-\

Thank you so much for answering me.  You have given me more information than any doctor has.  That is why I love BenzoBuddies  :)

Iking4peace,

For me it is definitely related to stress, even when I was on Xanax, interdose withdrawl I had it, because for years I never increased my doses. A month ago it came and stayed for one month and now it went away, the only thing I did was to drink some chamomile tea, that I read relaxes the muscles of the bladder. But I’ve read it can increase other withdrawals symptoms...

What a long road.

Best

I have been hospitalized twice for hyponatremia, the first time when I had just finished the Klonopin taper, the second time recently,  very severe - 106. I could have died because my brain was swelling and I couldn't think straight, was blacking out, lost my ability to walk for a bit. VERY SCARY. It was put down in my chart that I have SIADH.

Yet my nephrologist keeps hounding me to take more diuretics. In addition, I've been taken off of every diuretic I've been on because of the same low-sodium issue. I told him, but he still won't budge in his thinking. He said my creatinine is rising (probably due to the 100 mg. Losartan), and do I want to end up on dialysis? He uses every argument to get me to take diuretics again, but I REFUSE TO. I don't care what it is. This was just too damned frightening. It took me weeks after the hospitalization to start feeling better. Or maybe it was at least a month. 

I'm also on a boatload of drugs which dry me out - ALWAYS THIRSTY. I have high blood pressure and terrible urinary frequency. About 4 times per night. The high bp is due to anxiety, which came with the benzos and hasn't left although has gotten a lot better. I am not overweight at all, eat well, walk a lot (usually). When I told my urologist I was diagnosed as having SIADH, he said, "Very interesting." But I wonder what this means because I am 5+ years off the benzos.

I do drink chamomile tea almost every night.

I am tapering off my pills but very, very slowly. I truly think I have problems because of the heavy dose of Labetalol I'm on - 1,000 mg.!

Dick, can you explain any of this? I would be forever grateful because my nephrologist laughs at my symptoms and doesn't believe me. I don't even talk about benzos with him.

Hi

Terry and other friends. I so wish I had done more endocrinology and nephrology. !!!

The longevity of your symptoms makes me wonder if we have stumbled on yet another side effect of long term benzo use.. And of course stress hormones would makes the withdrawal bump cause more

Terry I don’t understand the mechanism of severe hypnonatraemia  at the moment but if you tell me your tabs and blood tests I will have a go. I cannot advise you legally but can try to explain things.

I am so sorry your severe hyponatraemia has nearly killed you. 

I believe psychotropics ruin the pituatry which of course means we have daft levels of cortisol etc, melatonin is effected and so much more.

I am a retired medic but Maugham1 might chip in as he has great clinical acumen. And access to more research as still working.

I am sorry I cannot square the circle.

Best wishes.  It has certainly got my ageing brain to work.

Dickie 

Thank you for even answering, Forty!!! All the doctors do is try to ply me with more pills. I can't get any answers from them or speculations.

What are "tabs"? What blood tests do you want?

Again, THANK YOU!!!