2 weeks already very rapid tapper

[Be...]

It’s been about two weeks. I used Xanax for about 5 months and on very high doses 4-6 mg daily. Last week I had no choice to stop and also realized this will get much worse if I keep taking it. From 4-6 sometimes even 8 mg a day, I cut it in half. For about 3 days then I cut that in half I was on 2mg a day, that’s when it got and is still really bad. Extreme fear restlessness can’t no appetite isolation depression blurred vision can’t remember things and consistent anxiety. Cut 0.5 and tried to do 1.5 a day but would loose it at night and take a 0.5 Now I have no choice to go down to 1 mg a day starting tomorrow, I was honest with my doctor about coming off this and how bad I feel I told her how extremely fast I cut down she said it’s ok, at first she wanted me to take some SSRI I immediately refused and told her I want off all drugs. She seemed to like that and told me to still see a psychiatrist and go to “walks on the beach” and things like that. Anyways she wrote a prescription for 1 mg a day. I just want off this stuff, for 2 days I have just took 1mg once in the morning and that’s it, today same I took 1 mg and around 3 o’clock took 0.25. The company behind Xanax says to cut no more than 0.5 every 3 days. I read the Ashton Manual and pretty much everything you can find on Xanax and Benzo withdrawal but I’m stuck. No other option. Symptoms currently. Pacing back and forth, heart racing attacks, minor twitches at night around midnight, sleep 2 hours in the day and a couple at night. Isolation and don’t wanna talk to anyone. I’ve been anti social and have had social anxiety since my teen years but this just makes it worse,10 times worse Blurred vision and just overall very bad, but I’m very determined to get off this horrific drug and move on. I would rather make the process quicker than stretch it and take it longer, it was great at first but it became a nightmare in the end. So to sum it up from 4-8 mg a day in a 5-6 month timeframe I’m down to 1-1.5 mg a day, I only have 30 pills of 1 mg tablets for a whole month and would want some advice on how to tackle these last few cuts and jump. I know a slow taper is the best option but I don’t have that option. Thank you guys so much for everything I pray to god that every single one of you suffering make it out and see the light and live in peace, from what I’ve seen 90 percent of people make it out just fine. All the best wishes

[c1...]
Please be careful, i was put on a very rapid taper by a clueless dr and all hell broke loose. Although 90% of people may come out ok i was one of the unlucky 10% and i had a stroke, which was attributed to the too fast taper by the neurologist at the hospital. I had no previous heart issues. I also know of someone else that had a stroke coming off Xanax too fast. I'm not saying this to scare you but to just say to be careful, keep an eye on your heart rate and blood pressure if you can and if it gets way too high go to the ER. Thankfully i am now recovered from the stroke but it was no fun having it on top of bwd and still having to taper off. It wasn't much fun for my family either. BWD can be very dangerous, please take care. xx

Bestrong,

You do have another option. Go back to this doctor, as she seems willing to help you. But before you see her, design a new and slower taper. Take your plan with you and be honest with her and tell her why you think you need to slow down. I cannot imagine a good doctor denying a patient something reasonable like this.

Your symptoms are all normal for BWD. But I am sure you already know that, as you have done your research.

Let us know what happens and how you feel. Feel free to PM me if it might hep you get through this.

east

Any sensible Doc would back you coming off in atried and tested way a la Ashton and I am sure she will see that. They are told to offer SSRIs but you’ve been there and it’s not for you.

She’s offered distraction and exercise, good advice but it’s a coping strategy not a healing process.

Slower is safer and less prone to relapse.

Please try East Coasts advice and best wishes

Dick

• 1 month later...
Thank you guys for the advice. A little update. Since being lowered to 1mg I’ve gotten better with time and the withdrawal aren’t crazy anymore although still annoying I’m pretty stable on 1mg. Now I’m down to 0.5, not many issues just a little harder to get in sleep. I’m now thinking of jumping, I don’t know.