Switch from Lorazepam to Diazepam

[Co...]

Am currently on 1.5 mg of lorazepam and want to switch to diazepam. Saw doctor yesterday and was told the equivalent dosage of diazepam would be 7.5 mg switched over 7 days. This isn't even close to what the Ashton manual suggests. Has anyone switched at this dosage in this time frame successfully?

The Ashton Protocol is just a general guideline. Some will need more, some less. I do not think 7.5 mgs of V will cover the 1.5 mgs of ativan tho. How long have you been on the ativan?

I used the Ashton manual protocol.  I believe it was schedule #8 in the manual for Ativan c/o.  This schedule was for someone taking 3 mg of Ativan, but since I was taking 1.75 mg of Ativan, I just cut the c/o instructions in half.  The tricky part was that half of that schedule would have been 1.5 mg of Ativan and as I said , I was taking 1.75 mg of Ativan ( .5 am, .75 mid-day, and .5 evening).

I followed the Ahston manual to a tee, except when it came to the .75 mg mid-day dose.  For that I used the c/o protocol as if I were only taking .5 mg of ativan and continued to take the other .25 mg of ativan daily, which would have made the whole .75 mg.  During the sixth and supposedly the final week of the c/o. I was on 15 mg of valium and still the other .25 mg of ativan.  I gave that one more week and then totally quit the other .25 mg of ativan and went strictly to 15 mg of valium.  It was spooky at first giving up that extra .25 mg of ativan, but I had no wd sx at all.

After all of this, I gave myself 3 weeks to stabilize on only valium, which is recommended to make sure your body will tolerate it over a period of time.  And I am glad to say that tomorrow I will begin my slow journey of tapering.

Monkeypig, feel free to PM me anytime with any questions.  I have another member I PM, because their story and mine were identical.  We were on the same dose of ativan and followed the same c/o technique she was taught from another previous identical member.  After c/o, both these members were benzo free.  This system works and is easy to understand.

The doc has short changed you. So sorry.

Get comfortable on 15 minimum imho then reduce at 5-10% every 1-2 weeks.

I always taper too fast and regret it.  More fool me.

Best wishes

Dick

The doc has short changed you. So sorry.

Get comfortable on 15 minimum imho then reduce at 5-10% every 1-2 weeks.

I always taper too fast and regret it.  More fool me.

Best wishes

Dick

What do you mean the Doc short changed me?  I am comfortable on 15 mg.  Actually better than I have been on any amount of ativan over the last 7 years.  I may have even been comfortable on less that, as we all react differently to these meds.  I am good on 15 mg, whereas someone in my same scenario may have needed 20 mgs.  I guess I just don't understand your reply, but thanks for the input

I think he was responding to my original post. Thank you SO MUCH everyone for your valuable input! It’s unbelievably wonderful to finally find people going through the same experience.

Yup I was referring to opening post.

Jo jo is obviously fine and I am glad for you Jo jo !!!

Yes we are all different to a degree, but I was concerned for “ committed to be free”.

Apologies for not making it clear. 

Best wishes

Dick.