Need help with liquid Valium taper

[Cr...]

Hello. I have been on 2mg of klonopin for 24 years! Went to new doctor and told me I needed to get off of them. My doctor is very understanding. I will be switching over to Valium which equates to 40mg Valium. I would like to go as slow as possible, since I have taken it so long. I just confused about how to do it. Would like to go with water. I have no idea on how much water to mix the pill in. I have watched YouTube and I kind of get it. Don’t know about the water though. I want to minimize withdrawals. I could really appreciate your guys help!!

Unfortunately, the YouTube videos are all either misleading, overly complicated, or just plain wrong.  First, and most important, Valium (and other common benzos ) is NOT water-soluble.  Valium cannot be dissolved in plain water.

But  if you have a cooperative doc, he can give you a scrip for Rx liquid Valium.  That's the easiest, most reliable way to do a liquid taper.

If you can't get a scrip for Rx liquid, you can easily make your own by using a solvent, then diluting with water.  The common solvents are vodka (alcohol) or propylene glycol.  There are many folks here on BB using those procedures.  Basically, you use this ratio to prepare your liquid:  1mg V + 2ml solvent + 8ml water.  That makes a very convenient .1mg=1ml solution.  And you can prepare it in multi-day batches.

And the procedure most often shown on YouTube ("pull and discard") is a silly, labor-intensive, wasteful concept.  You just draw up the appropriate amount for each days dose, and drink it, just like you would any other liquid med.l

At your dose (40mg/day), you should probably consider taking most of your dose from tablets, and just use the liquid for the "taper portion" of your dose.  For example, at 40mg, you might take 35mg with tablets, use the liquid for remaining 5mg, then just reduce the amount of liquid each day.

At your dosage (40

Thank you builder. I originally thought that you could get a liquid script. Someone told me I had to make my own medicine. My doctor will have no problem writing a liquid script. When you’re going through hell you’ll look up anything to make things better! Unfortunately there is a lot of people online and YouTube claiming this is the way it’s done. I guess those people should not be acting like a doctor or giving out information that is inaccurate. I feel better about the liquid script and will use the pills until I’m at the lower doses. I have one more question I’m on klonopin right now, but she wants to co to Valium. I have heard that some people have a rough time versus just staying on klonopin. Sooo much stuff to take into account! Makes my head spin.

Using Rx liquid is absolutely the most convenient and reliable choice for a liquid taper. 

There are 2 Rx liquid V formulations, Diazepam Oral Solution, and Diazepam Intensol.  What you want is the Diazepam Oral Solution.

This is a 1mg=1ml solution with a propylene glycol solvent.  It comes in 500ml batches from the mfgr, but your pharmacy can repackage in smaller quantities,, if your doc doesn't want to Rx 500mg/ml at a time.

Once you get your solution, dilute it 9:1 with water in convenient quantities so you have a supply of convenient, easy to dispense .1mg =1ml solution.

I am dry tapering.  I started at 40 mg. Hang in there. There can be times you do not see progress but it is  happening  nonetheless.

Sounds like you have a great doctor.  :)

So ideally, you can get a prescription for both pills and the liquid oral diazepam that is 1 mg/ml. That’s the “Diazepam Oral Solution” builder mentioned. I use that one for my taper. And I dilute it to 0.1 mg/ml like builder mentioned. It’s really simple to do.