Coming off Hydroxyzine. Withdrawal anxiety?

[Le...]

I’ve been taking a hydroxyzine for a month to help the anxiety/panic.  I’ve been taking a pretty consistent dose throughout the day.  It’s not supposed to have withdrawal effects and I’m tapering (probably too fast) but today my nerves are buzzing pretty bad and I’m fighting the feeling like I need to take more.  I’m working towards being able to start Buspar to help with a recent resurgence of anxiety. I’m not taking anything other meds and I’m long past a successful withdrawal.  Just wondering if this could be withdrawal from hydroxyzine.

I would take it pretty consistently during w/d and I was able to stop without tapering much - maybe 1 or 2 days at a lower dose before stopping.  It gave me a little difficulty. I had parasthesia symptoms, a little more anxiety and a bit of a craving for it and some sleep disruption for a couple days but it was all pretty mild. I avoid taking it but will occasionally (once a month now) if sleep becomes really difficult.

I’m down to 75 mg (1.5) a day from 200mg (4doses). I’m supposed to go down 25 mg every 3-4 days as a precaution.  Today I go down to 50mg a day.  So I have at least 6-8 more days before I can start Buspar.  My doctor said I could start it once I got down to 25mg (1/2pill). I think I want to be done with the hydroxyzine when I start the Buspar.  That way I can better judge/manage any start up side effects.  I’m anxious to get going on the buspar. I wondering if all this tapering of the hydroxyzine is really necessary or can I just stop taking it now so I can start the Buspar sooner. I’m struggling every day with anxiety.  The physical symptoms are very much like what I had when I was going through withdrawal.  It going to take a few weeks to feel any differences and I want to get going on that.  Any thoughts?

I think you might be suffering from withdrawal syndrome. Any drug that alters receptors (which then become up or downregulated) can induce withdrawal symptoms when abruptly stopped.  I have experienced the same with cetirizine, another antihistamine.

Just go slower.

Every time I go down a notch my CNS feels out of control for the day and the anxiety gets bad.  I’m down to 25mg a day.  After that for a few days, I can stop.  My rational brain is telling me to wait it out, my irrational brain is thinking the worse and overwhelms me.