Has anyone tried Paxil/paroxetine after withdrawing from benzo?

[Su...]

Hi buddies

I'm 7 months off xanax. I went to a dr just to see what they think about my symptoms. He said I need to take praxil.

Has anyone tried this before? Plz let me know your experience with this AD, especially after quitting your benzo. 

Thank you

Plz plz I need to know your experiences with this AD after going off your benzos

I'm going through a very tough time.

I was given it with oxazepam twenty years ago and it made me fat and impotent. It’s not regarded as the best AD in the uk for anxiety or after benzos.

Here citalopram and mirtazipine are preferred.

Take care though as they too have to be weaned off.

Just what are your symptoms ?

Dick

I was given it with oxazepam twenty years ago and it made me fat and impotent. It’s not regarded as the best AD in the uk for anxiety or after benzos.

Here citalopram and mirtazipine are preferred.

Take care though as they too have to be weaned off.

Just what are your symptoms ?

Dick

I am 7 months off. Depression is stronger than ever. Intrusive thoughts too.

I wake up with extreme anxiety, palpitation and feeling horrible.

I have never been this much sick. I just want something to save me. I'm suffering too much. I even have panic attacks in the mornings too.

Hi

I would decline the paroxitine and ask for citalopram or sertraline.After the first few days it does help with anxious thoughts. It is a reasonable antidepressant and the horrid thoughts might ease.

The first few days will be hard though.

Let me know how you get on or just keep posting,

Best wishes

Dick

Hi

I would decline the paroxitine and ask for citalopram or sertraline.After the first few days it does help with anxious thoughts. It is a reasonable antidepressant and the horrid thoughts might ease.

The first few days will be hard though.

Let me know how you get on or just keep posting,

Best wishes

Dick

Hi. Plz tell me why? The dr told me this is the treatment for me. Plz tell me why you say that?

Very sorry Survivor! if your Doc wants to try Paroxetine then go for it! It ceratainly saved my life in 1997 and I could return to work.

I just hated difficulty peeing and we were trying for more kids so the impotence put me off it.

Its still used in UK but I think newer ones are kinder perhaps.

I hope it helps and BB will support you in your recovery

Dick

Very sorry Survivor! if your Doc wants to try Paroxetine then go for it! It ceratainly saved my life in 1997 and I could return to work.

I just hated difficulty peeing and we were trying for more kids so the impotence put me off it.

Dick

Thank you.

This is my only option for now as I'm really suffering.

Hope you are doing well now

Take care

Dick

Thank you.

This is my only option for now as I'm really suffering.

Hope you are doing well now

Take care

My dr gave it to me and told me it was not addictive, no withdrawal, blah blah blah.  And something else too, I can't remember.  I came home, researched it, everything he told me was a lie.  I threw the script in the trash.  You may decide to take it, but please research it first, just a suggestion  :(. Love Mary.

• 3 months later...

Hi buddies

I'm 7 months off xanax. I went to a dr just to see what they think about my symptoms. He said I need to take praxil.

Has anyone tried this before? Plz let me know your experience with this AD, especially after quitting your benzo. 

Thank you

Um... don't try Paxil. It will make you feel 10 times worse, due to the adverse reaction with benzos. Any SSRI will adversely react with your benzo. You are better off not going down the SSRI path, and use natural means and methods to come off your benzos. Check out my thread here:

My Paxil Experience

Dave.

Noooooo x1,000,000! Don't take Paxil/Paroxetine! Please! I'm begging you!

It is the strongest and hardest SSRI to come off of and has a litany of terrible side effects and a truly brutal withdrawal. Paxil is worse than a benzo IMO.

If you must try an SSRI, I agree with Dick. Try Sertraline (Zoloft) or Citalopram (Celexa). These SSRI's are a lot milder on your system and easier to withdraw from, should you choose to do so. But please, exercise caution if you decide to use SSRI's.

My Paxil horror story:

My Paxil/Paroxetine Horror Story

Dave.

I've only heard Horror stories on paxil. More than benzos even to be honest.

I was started on mirtazapine 1 month off ativan and it h helped with sleep and appetite, I'm in the process of tapering off and am on 1.5mg now. It hasn't really touched my anxiety or depression. I would say if you have sleep or appetite issues, mirt is an option. It also needs to be tapered off. At this point out, I would say no drugs is better to allow your brain to fully heal. No drug will speed up the process of recovery from the damage done by benzos,

I took Paxil for 8 years and came off it in 2011. About 2 weeks after my 6 week taper ended I started having severe insomnia, severe gut problems and severe anxiety/depression/akathisia. That's when I started taking Ativan just to be able to sleep. I'm now 7 months off the benzo and experiencing what I was experiencing back in 2011 coming off the Paxil. Everyday is Hell.

I've done research on SSRI's and Paxil and wish I knew then what I know now. Paxil can cause what's called tardive dysthymia, a condition of depression with agitation/akathisia which in some cases can be permanent.

Dr. David Healy who's an expert on SSRI anti-depressants talks about it here at survivingantidepressants.org

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1454-dr-david-healy-on-prolonged-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome-2009/?tab=comments#comment-13488

In addition to tardive dysthymia, he also calls the condition MISS which stands for "Medicine Induced Stress Syndrome". You can't handle any type of stress. You get overwhelmed just like with benzo withdrawal.

Another article says there is research saying that the receptor 5HT1A which Paxil attaches to doesn't always grow back. In other words the MISS is a permanent condition.

"Several receptors—including 5-HT1A—aren't especially malleable, moreover, and take longer to sprout anew after drug treatment ends, delaying the patient's return to neuronal health. Indeed, some studies I consulted found that in certain patients those receptors fail to grow back at all, in effect leaving the patients worse off than before. (See for instance "Dissociation of the Plasticity of 5-HT1A Sites and 5-HT Transporter Sites" in Paxil Research Studies 19.3 [1994], 311-15.)"

Find it here:  https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/side-effects/201107/antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome

I have additional articles citing other "experts" saying the same thing. When you take an SSRI you're taking a chance you'll disable yourself for the rest of your life.