New to this forum!

[ho...]

Hi! 

I am joining benzobuddies after it being referenced by "benzobrains" on youtube. 

I was put on Clonazepam (Klonopin) Fall 2017, for anxiety and insomnia induced by trauma and grief (the latter was a late term miscarriage June 2017).  Now I'm at a place where I THINK I could live without the med.  So since Christmas 2018 I have begun to taper.

Right now I am on 0.75mg breakfast, 0.5mg lunch and 0.5mg supper.  Right before Christmas 2018 I was still on 1mg breakfast, 0.5mg lunch and 0.75mg supper. (If my memory is correct!!)

In the last 2 months I tapered TOO fast.  I cut from 1mg to 0.75 in 2 weeks' time.  Then 4 weeks after that I dropped to 0.5mg at supper (just cutting 1/4 of 0.5mg pill). 

And it's been ROUGH. 

I am almost 3 weeks since my most recent taper and sx come off and on.  Most days I am very functional.  But I have moments of complete exhaustion, difficulty focusing on a task or housework, difficulty connecting with my preschool and school aged children, headaches, dizziness, heat flashes, insomnia and through the roof anxiety.  :( 

I am NOT planning to taper again until my body says, "I'm feeling normal again!"  Determined not to go back on previous dose.  But of course, if needed, I will.

My husband and I would love to have more children - one pressing question I have is - has anyone gone through pregnancy on Clonazepam?  If so, tell me about it.  My previous psychiatrist said clonazepam is "safe" in pregnancy - she's had clients give birth to perfectly healthy babies.  But I think the general idea out there is the understanding that it is NOT safe.  And I have to switch to a different psychiatrist b/c my other one is moving to another practice.  Please tell me if you have any experience in this area!

Any encouraging advice or 'yeah I've been there' is appreciated!  Thanks!!!!

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  We are glad you decided to join us.  You'll find a lot of support and information on this forum, which is the only one of its kind online.  I can't help you with your pregnancy questions, but others may be able to.

For those starting a taper, we generally recommend starting out at a rate of 5 to 10% every 10-14 days, then adjusting the taper to suit your own needs.  Note: very short term users may be able to taper faster.

Withdrawal symptoms, which vary widely but commonly include anxiety and insomnia, often occur during a taper, but these are temporary and will get better in time.  In general, first tapers are easier, but cold turkeys or multiple withdrawals may be more severe and longer lasting.  Here are a few links to get you started:

The Ashton Manual, a concise reference for tapering and symptom issues.  Chapter III contains excellent descriptions of common symptoms such as muscle issues, anxiety, and hyper-awareness

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Once again, welcome!

Thank you, Megan, for your encouraging welcome!

Thank you for the helpful information, suggestions and links for getting started! :thumbsup:

How could Kpin be safe during pregnancy? Your child would be addicted just like eberone else and suffer horrendous wds at birth. Id get off before more children if i were u. Good luck.

Hope97,

I was abruptly withdrawn from alcohol, benzos and opiods over a 9 day stretch in a psychiatric hospital beginning March 2, 2019 although I am now on buprenorphine which takes care of opioid withdrawal and also seems to have some anxiolytic properties not to mention totally killing any cravings for alcohol.

It was very rough at first since I have been on the benzos and opioids for 23 years but I guess I am one of the lucky ones.  Over the last week the clouds have begun to part and yesterday all of the sudden my legs started working dramatically better.  This was NOT a subtle improvement.  The anxiety has gone down also.  I do not discount the horror stories of people who have taken years to get off of benzos.  I spent about 10 years jumping from one SSRI to another during the 1990s simply to avoid withdrawal and tapering off of Paxil took me about a year, and in my own case was much worse and more disabling than benzo withdrawal.

But in order to stop any medication you (obviously) have to stop taking it.  Everyone's experience is different of course.  I know people who have quit Cymbalta cold turkey with no problem.  I am not one of them.  My point is that there is light at the end of the benzo tunnel, and your tunnel may be one that is not so long.  It's a pretty nice light too!

Hope, you can go to the home page and find search, put in pregnancy and the posts on pregnancy will be there.  Look right above in Bold letters to see where it is on the board if it interests you.  :)

But imo, you should be off the drug.  Good luck, Mary ♥️

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to comment on my introduction. 

A special thank you to those who offer such hope that I can do it and maybe the road won't be too long.  Thank you!!!  :)