Detox Centers

[bu...]

So today to distract myself I decided to check out detox centers online. I found one by the ocean. It's a really nice mansion that I could totally see myself recovering in. I called them and they told me I'm not addicted, just dependent. I said but I can't get off of it (klonopin) and it's no longer working. They said but since you're taking it as prescribed you're not an addict? They said if I were stealing klonopin then I would classify as an addict. So I told them I have a friend who takes them and that I will "steal" some of hers and call them back. Anyway, I wouldn't really do that but it's frustrating that there aren't treatment centers for people who are not addicts but damaged and in need of help none the less. That being said, I'm pretty sure it's a 7 day detox which would not be good. I guess I'll have to forget about staying in the mansion.

Yes, detox centers ARE NOT recommended for benzo people. A slow, steady taper is the best, as it doesn't shock the CNS. It's interesting that they used the word "dependent" instead of outright considering you an addict. Maybe they're learning...

Yes, detox centers ARE NOT recommended for benzo people. A slow, steady taper is the best, as it doesn't shock the CNS. It's interesting that they used the word "dependent" instead of outright considering you an addict. Maybe they're learning...

Very true.  "Detox" was designed for alcoholics and hard drug abusers, both of which ironically have much shorter recovery times for most users than does benzo use.  Really, tapering, at home, is best.  Here's my own detox experience, in a nutshell:

In 2009 a well meaning but clueless doctor sent me to a major Seattle hospital detox, which supposedly was led by a "benzo expert."  The minute I got there, I was c/t'd off a high dose of xanax (FYI, a week long "taper" is the same as a CT).  I found myself in a ward full of alcoholics.  They left me in my room, and came in to feed me and check my blood pressure several times a day.  That was all. I never saw the benzo "expert" or any other counselor.  After 5 days of this, I was sent home with no follow up treatment whatsoever except a short term prescription for seroquel and neurontin.  Even with those, I was all alone and my symptoms were so hellish and unrelenting I reinstated several months later.  For this "service," I was charged over $15,000 (10 years ago, price would be much higher now).  Several years later, after I'd kindled, I had to go through the whole taper and awful multi year recovery again for the last time.  IMO, the "detox" set me back greatly and caused great suffering that I probably wouldn't have had if i'd tapered.  Getting off benzos was the hardest thing I've ever done, and it took me three tries to do it. 

:smitten: