Questions about rapid detox

[...]

Hey all!

First of all, I’m so glad to have found this group. There is so much helpfulinformation and everyone is so kind.  So, I entered a rapid “ medical” detox program.  I started tapering from 3mg of klonopin about 2-3 months ago, and had my last dose a week ago yesterday.  In between over 2 days, I took 4 .25 mg Xanax.  I have been having to most awful withdrawals so I went to the ER Sunday night and they gave me 2 10 mg of Valium.  I checked into the detox program yesterday.  While I think it’s great, they are giving me Librium every 4 hours...does this seem like a step backwards to any of you?  I feel like my withdrawals will start all over again when I leave.  It’s a 3-5 day program.  Has anyone done this before and had success?

Thanks all,

- J

J,

Rapid detox is not advised here on BB.  If you are going to have withdrawals, there seems to be nothing to stop them (possibly a long taper).  Librium is sometimes used to prevent seizures.  I’m sorry you are going through this, we are here to support you.  I am not a medical professional, this is my opinion and experience. 

SaraSue  :smitten:

I wish I had seen your post earlier. I don't spend much time here now but would have liked to try to advise you.

Did you go into a detox? Has it helped you? SaraSue is right, detox places are sort of frowned on here, but I also know from personal experience that they DO help some people. Some people feel safer being under watchful eyes, because of the small risk of seizures. Could you let us know how you are doing?

I helped "train" the Dr running the PP detox centre locally on heroin etc withdrawal and would rather have BB on board than a profit orientated organisation at 8k a week.-)

Rapid detox is so tempting isnt it? I have done it twice and fallen flat on my face! But in my thirties managed Diaz CT from 30mg

Odd how age and other issues muddy the waters.

Good luck

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

$42,000, SaraSue.  OMG! 

What becomes of the poor people? 

Pity the poor innocent. 

Hope you are improving SaraSue.  It's been a long, and arduous journey. 

We are going to make it. 

Dee x

I agree with fortylongyears. Detox centers are formed to make money and I don't think they have a clue about benzos. I worked in a detox facility for over a year, and not a single one of the staff knew how benzo WD can be for some. I also worked on an acute psych unit for 3.5 years and the same thing happened. Benzo people were treated pretty much as alcohol people were. And I WENT to a detox for the first 5 days after going CT off benzos and ADS. Not a single staffer asked about my symptoms. They obviously knew nothing about benzos. But to be honest, I am an RN and I did not know. Well, now I do.

The only really good part about these facilities is that you will be, sort of, monitored for seizures, nd that is the only dangerous thing about benzo wd. If you have a seizure, you will be sent to the local ER, where they wont know a darn thing about benzos either.

This is why BB exists. To help people get off benzos are provide the information you will need to do this. Never give up.

Hi Everyone

I rapid detoxed (10 days) in a medical facility in Florida from 13 year long heavy Benzo use.

This was after I had gone to my prescribing Dr with the Ashton Manual.

He was happy to support me on the Ashton taper but advised me to detox; I had tried a taper before and failed.

Anyway- did the detox facility know about Benzos? No.

Did I stop taking benzos after 13 years? Yes.

Was it a complete nighmare? Yes. I went to the edge of total insanity.

Is it, after almost 8 months, any better? Yes. I have the windows and waves as many people have reported, but the trend is gently up.

Not sure if this helps anyone. Coming off Benzos has been the most difficult thing in my life, but it is possible, and it seems things are getting better.

Take Care

Hey all!

First of all, I’m so glad to have found this group. There is so much helpfulinformation and everyone is so kind.  So, I entered a rapid “ medical” detox program.  I started tapering from 3mg of klonopin about 2-3 months ago, and had my last dose a week ago yesterday.  In between over 2 days, I took 4 .25 mg Xanax.  I have been having to most awful withdrawals so I went to the ER Sunday night and they gave me 2 10 mg of Valium.  I checked into the detox program yesterday.  While I think it’s great, they are giving me Librium every 4 hours...does this seem like a step backwards to any of you?  I feel like my withdrawals will start all over again when I leave.  It’s a 3-5 day program.  Has anyone done this before and had success?

Thanks all,

- J

A detox program would work for benzo's if you could stay there for 2 or 3 years :o

This really has to be done at home and for the most part GP doctors hate to get involved, unfortunately.

$42,000, SaraSue.  OMG! 

What becomes of the poor people? 

Pity the poor innocent. 

Hope you are improving SaraSue.  It's been a long, and arduous journey. 

We are going to make it. 

Dee x

Dee,

I just saw your response ... my insurance paid.  It saved my life.  It was brutal.  I am healing, We are healing!!

SaraSue  :smitten:

• 1 month later...

Sarasue,

How are you doing? Can you share your detox experience? Having rough go in tolerance.

Wishing you well on your healing,

Sun🌻

Sun,

I must have chosen a great place as I have no complaints about the time I spent in rehab.  My docs and nurses were educated.  BB never recommends detox or rehab. 

I went my second week of CT as I could not care for myself.  I knew nothing about withdrawals from my pdocs.  My husband was just as frightened as I was and I had told no one else.  When you forget how to brush your teeth, take a shower, eat, and basic skills as I did with no one to help ... I felt fortunate to be in rehab. 

I did not relate to most meetings I attended the last week as I had a physical dependence not an addiction.  I attended for insurance purposes. 

I feel my life was saved.  After brutal days at home ... I needed care and help, I received it. 

Sara

SaraASue,

I am not a fan of rehabs but if one worked for you, I am really happy. You deserve this. Your road has not been easy. I know you have stumbled and fought to hang on. But you know what, lady? You have done it. Stuck to it, used BB appropriately and made some good friends along the way. I really am proud of you! I know your journey is not over yet but each day brigs you closer to the end of that long painful journey.

You deserve a HUGE round of applause.

love you,

east (Annie)

Jlaw

How are you doing now? I was in facility in April as well and did the Ativan to Librium for 6 days

Was sent home entering PAWs....so still very rough

Wondering how you are managing?

Holy cow, 42K? That does seem a bit (more than a bit) much. Detox is not something I would recommend but it's understandable when you don't want thing to drag on and on. Trouble is, could drag on at the other side - considering how it's gone for me. But that's sort of my suspicion. Wish I knew but I really don't.