What has helped you the most?

[10...]

Exercise for me, 100% I believe it has saved my life. When Im working really hard physically, it takes my mind off the mental torture. You cant focus on both at once :) When Im dripping in sweat I visualize sweating all of the poison out of my body. Even when I don't feel like it, I force myself to go … there have been days when Ive laid on my yoga mat crying in the back of class, and there are days when Im amazed at how physically fit I have gotten over the past year. Its amazing what our bodies can endure. Exercise is natures antidepressant and for me, it has helped to be around other people who are working on a positive life style. I understand we are all different and in different places in our journey but that has been my experience.

I also use an app called "Calm" that has guided meditations specifically for anxiety and depression and that has helped me a lot. They also have what they call bedtime stories which has helped me immensely when I cant sleep. When my mind is racing at night, I turn on one of those stories and I focus on the story and it has helped SO MUCH!

Sending you good vibes !!!

I second the use of apps like Calm to help with anxiety. I use Pzizz, and it has been a Godsend. 🙂

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [An...]

• [Ev...]

• [Jo...]

• [Cr...]

I walk an hour a day broken up into 30 minute sessions .

This is done at the stables I am now located at in SoCal . They are open and airy and it is a very large ranch . My mares love it and I do too . I walked at the last place where we were also but this is better . I walked 5 miles a day before W/D and I think I probably walk 1-2 miles now . Funny thing is that I am in a wheelchair most of the time if I am not moving . Moving for some reason keeps my heart rate way down , when I stop it goes back up .

The horses were my job also and it helps me to stay around work even if I can't work right now , I get ideas how I can adapt or possibly come back .

I practice meditation with the  Yogoda Satsanga Society of India . I like that alot .

Moving back home to SoCal was the best thing emotionally.

I agree in that I think liking where you live does help quite a bit.

Kindly,

j

• 1 month later...

@Heardaybenz yes yes yes!! I love This, thank you! I too have started taking free guided meditation classes at a local Buddhist monastery and while I’m finding it EXTREMELY hard to get through the entire hour of mediation, I find a lot of peace in the teachings and mantras. I have also recently started going to Kundalini yoga and it’s so powerful! Life changing for sure!

Wow! You're the first person on here that has responded that's even heard of Kundalini, let alone is practicing it! It's pretty great, huh?! I love it, even though there are a lot of moments in there that I wonder to myself if I've joined a cult! (the chanting and the singing.. haha). But the postures and breath work in it are specifically designed to strengthen the nervous system, and it seems to really work! Yes.. I too find it nearly impossible to get through an entire hour of meditation. I usually just do like 5-10 minutes of meditation a day on my own. Even that little seems to help a ton.

I just started doing Kundalini and I agree 100%!

Its amazing. The breath work is so cool. It really works on the nervous system and clearing out bad energy. I would never have done this a few years ago, but now I am ALL in. It does feel a little bit like a cult! I have studied Buddhism off/on for years and am now fully embracing these eastern practices. They are really wonderful.

But its true, sometimes it hard to do too much at once. As our nervous system heals, we will be capable of so much more.

OOOOMMMM  ;)

Hi everyone!

I'd like to ask you a question about exercise. I have been doing P90X, Insanity and other home-based exercise programs for years. Something in my mind "swiched off" that need for exercising. Now I feel very weak (I could pump 20+ pullups at the time and around 50 pushups). I think I could reach the same level of strenght BUT

I feel aweful after an intense workout. I usually have to drink a pre-workout supplement which boost me up to endure a workout, but after it I shake, my whole body is itching and I don't feel comfortable at all. I have used to love the musclefibre, now it is not pleasuble at all. Also, my heart pressure goes up and I don't feel well days afterwards.

Do you think this has anything to do with my benzo tapper? I really don't like that feeling that post-exercise puts me in.  :-\

@Heardaybenz yes yes yes!! I love This, thank you! I too have started taking free guided meditation classes at a local Buddhist monastery and while I’m finding it EXTREMELY hard to get through the entire hour of mediation, I find a lot of peace in the teachings and mantras. I have also recently started going to Kundalini yoga and it’s so powerful! Life changing for sure!

Wow! You're the first person on here that has responded that's even heard of Kundalini, let alone is practicing it! It's pretty great, huh?! I love it, even though there are a lot of moments in there that I wonder to myself if I've joined a cult! (the chanting and the singing.. haha). But the postures and breath work in it are specifically designed to strengthen the nervous system, and it seems to really work! Yes.. I too find it nearly impossible to get through an entire hour of meditation. I usually just do like 5-10 minutes of meditation a day on my own. Even that little seems to help a ton.

Its amazing. The breath work is so cool. It really works on the nervous system and clearing out bad energy. I would never have done this a few years ago, but now I am ALL in. It does feel a little bit like a cult! I have studied Buddhism off/on for years and am now fully embracing these eastern practices. They are really wonderful.

But its true, sometimes it hard to do too much at once. As our nervous system heals, we will be capable of so much more.

OOOOMMMM  ;)

This made me laugh out loud! THANK YOU ! Yes it does sometimes feel a little cultish but the breathwork I swear transports me to a place of peace. It does feel kinda weird sometimes but Im convinced its doing something magical. Let me know how it goes for you!

OOOOMMMM  ;)

This made me laugh out loud! THANK YOU ! Yes it does sometimes feel a little cultish but the breathwork I swear transports me to a place of peace. It does feel kinda weird sometimes but Im convinced its doing something magical. Let me know how it goes for you!

Love hearing about all the other Kundalini fans out there! Yes, it does feel quite magical! I just signed up for a Kundalini class that being put on by my city that starts next week. Once a week until the end of November, I'm so excited! Namaste!!

I'll chime in and concur with the exercising as well. Nothing helps as much as fast as exercise does for me. Although, the serotonin rush I get from it does wear off after a few hours.

I think the thing that has helped me most with my overall mental wellbeing is mindful meditation and buddhist philosophy. Buddhism really drives home the fact that everything is impermanent, and this too shall pass. We are ever-changing, and the 'you' that is reading this will be a different 'you' 10 minutes from now, 10 days from now, 10 months from now, etc. It's also taught me that suffering is a part of life, and to almost 'embrace' it. Rather than trying to run away from anxiety or whatever else, I now try to 'observe' it as though it's not part of me. It has taken practice, and I still have LONG way to go, but it has definitely helped and has starting changing my whole outlook on life and on reality.

Other honorable mentions: Yoga (Kundalini specifically), cutting out caffeine, NO alcohol, healthy eating (although sometimes I cheat, I can't help it), tart cherry juice, probiotics, distracting myself with work, errands, playing guitar, reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, etc.

Following. I'm reading all these comments and there's a bhudist temple in my neighborhood. After reading you I'm considering visiting them.

I'll chime in and concur with the exercising as well. Nothing helps as much as fast as exercise does for me. Although, the serotonin rush I get from it does wear off after a few hours.

I think the thing that has helped me most with my overall mental wellbeing is mindful meditation and buddhist philosophy. Buddhism really drives home the fact that everything is impermanent, and this too shall pass. We are ever-changing, and the 'you' that is reading this will be a different 'you' 10 minutes from now, 10 days from now, 10 months from now, etc. It's also taught me that suffering is a part of life, and to almost 'embrace' it. Rather than trying to run away from anxiety or whatever else, I now try to 'observe' it as though it's not part of me. It has taken practice, and I still have LONG way to go, but it has definitely helped and has starting changing my whole outlook on life and on reality.

Other honorable mentions: Yoga (Kundalini specifically), cutting out caffeine, NO alcohol, healthy eating (although sometimes I cheat, I can't help it), tart cherry juice, probiotics, distracting myself with work, errands, playing guitar, reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, etc.

Following. I'm reading all these comments and there's a bhudist temple in my neighborhood. After reading you I'm considering visiting them.

ValimNoMore, I think you will like it! Most of the temples off a free (vegetarian) lunch after the free meditation classes. I'm not sure you are working or looking or seeking community but they also have volunteer opportunities to work in the kitchen or on site gardens. Its super peaceful and serene and best of all its all free. If you check it out, let me know how it goes! Best wishes.

Wow; I am going to try that!  I find exercise helps me alot! I find.if i over do it, which doesnt take much. I feel kinda sickly gor a day or two. I am always glad i did it though. Ive been doing some yogaanf trying to pay attention to my body. Its pretty cool i feel more in tune with myself. Working on diet  but  nothing overly scr8ct. Cant handle that extra stress right now.

Seems like exercise seems to be the winner.  I just got a stationary bike so I am going to start there. Thanks everyone

I think its wonderful you got an exercise bike. Now you can get on and pedal whenever you want and not have to deal with all the ickiness of a gym (crowds, waiting list for equipment, germs!)

I have an exercise bike in my den and it has been a lifesaver.

Yep, I have one at home too and try to do it daily. I also go to the gym 4X per week to strength train a little. The bike is low to no impact so great if you have issues with things like knee pain for example. I don't do anymore intense cardio workouts. All my cardio is now low to moderate in intensity. That seems to work the best for me. I agree.....exercise can be a game changer for many people and I highly recommend it.

BUMP

I loved exercising, sadly now I find it disturbing for my body. My Dog also suffers. I would like to go hiking, meet with other Dog lovers, do my P90X workouts ... But I can't ... I am too depressed and filled with negative thoughts.  ::)

P90X is pretty intense, isn't it? All my workouts are mild to moderate. Anymore than that revs up my fragile CNS too much.

Forgive me for going off topic, but I noticed you’ve been on benzos almost 30 years.  So have I.  I took Klonopin for years, too, and am on Valium like you, too.  I’m down to 3.75 mg of Valium.  Just wanted to comment, since our signatures (although mine isn’t visible) are almost identical. 

j

Cool! Yes, I have been on these brain toxins for 30 years and I am still having one heck of a time ditching the last 2 mgs of valium. When do you expect to be off?

Cool! Yes, I have been on these brain toxins for 30 years and I am still having one heck of a time ditching the last 2 mgs of valium. When do you expect to be off?

I’m going SUPER slow.  Like slower than imaginable !!  I don’t know when I’ll be off.  All I know is that if I succeed, it will take a very long time.

But for me this one time i worked out for 45min, then jogged 15min. I couldn't sleep that night, and next day i was destroyed with weakness, dizzy, and sleepy.

(I didn't even push myself that much. I just worked out full body fast, to get me going) Should i just try bicycle calm, then do some calm workouts for 30min max? I find it boring to not be able to push hard though...was almost a bodybuilder as a teen :D

To your question. The most things that helped me was jogging, seriously that fixes me.

Also "Inositol" and "black seed oil" those have been miracles.

Other things to support my GABA has been Taurine, and Valerian root, also as many chamomille tea i want. It's kind of nice to drink them, like a ritual. L-theanine too is very good!

For energy i would recommend Maca root, make a tea of it, stir with spoon, and drink so you get the powder in.

Also meditation is a big deal breaker here!! It's harder to do it in withdrawals, but once you get the hang of it, do not leave it. Continue!

I'm thinking to try CBD oil, or BPC-157 peptide, not sure of these ones though. I don't like the idea of throwing in more stuff, without knowing what or who caused the side effects..

But for me this one time i worked out for 45min, then jogged 15min. I couldn't sleep that night, and next day i was destroyed with weakness, dizzy, and sleepy.

(I didn't even push myself that much. I just worked out full body fast, to get me going) Should i just try bicycle calm, then do some calm workouts for 30min max? I find it boring to not be able to push hard though...was almost a bodybuilder as a teen :D

To your question. The most things that helped me was jogging, seriously that fixes me.

Also "Inositol" and "black seed oil" those have been miracles.

Other things to support my GABA has been Taurine, and Valerian root, also as many chamomille tea i want. It's kind of nice to drink them, like a ritual. L-theanine too is very good!

I was wondering how black seed oil had helped, I have some from the uk and have used it off and on, but I am not sure of the benefits....maybe it helps with brain fog?

Also I have some CBD oil coming which I thought I may use for emergency panics or sleeplessness  when I am totally benzo free

For energy i would recommend Maca root, make a tea of it, stir with spoon, and drink so you get the powder in.

Also meditation is a big deal breaker here!! It's harder to do it in withdrawals, but once you get the hang of it, do not leave it. Continue!

I'm thinking to try CBD oil, or BPC-157 peptide, not sure of these ones though. I don't like the idea of throwing in more stuff, without knowing what or who caused the side effects..

Being Grateful and thankful and looking at the glass half full.  Being positive, thinking on how good I'll feel when I'm off.  When sxs happen , which is often, I speak to myself saying I am healthy, I am healed, I am calm, I feel comfort, I am thankful that I can walk for an hour now.....I am thankful that I can eat, etc, etc.  I think about all the good I'm experiencing and do not concentrate on the sxs.  Even when I shake, I still think of the good things and confess them outloud.

And i busy myself and distract myself and meditate, etc.  Try to sing or humm and think happy in the FACE of the sxs.  It is working for me.  I don't give in to Fear.  NO SENSE, it just makes your sxs worse and makes you feel worse.  I speak Peace to myself and I believe it and I know THIS TOO SHALL PASS!! 

• 3 years later...

Hi @Antibenzo. Could you finally get off? I'm down to 0.50 diazepam and every tiny cut is hell. My benzo history is similar to yours. I just ran into this old post and wondered if you are still here. Best, vnm.

Hi @Antibenzo. Could you finally get off? I'm down to 0.50 diazepam and every tiny cut is hell. My benzo history is similar to yours. I just ran into this old post and wondered if you are still here. Best, vnm.

Wondering the same

To add: weighted blanket, hour long hot baths, making plans for life post-suffering & getting excited about it! For example: dinner parties written out with menus, recipes, guest lists-I have made 2 playlists!

Walking 3 times/day, guided meditation (I use Insight); have become serial texter to stay in touch with friends. Exercise bike, stretching; water, water, water, Cranberry juice… ice wrap around head…