What has helped you the most?

[79...]

[79...]
What has helped you the most with the mental symptoms?  Is time the only thing or are there other things that can be done?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [An...]

• [Ev...]

• [Jo...]

• [Cr...]

Exercise has dramatically helped me mentally.  I do it as much and as often as I can and the mental benefits really kick in when I push myself hard.  It erases all the mental pain for up to a few hours after I finish.  The benefits are starting to spill over between workouts now too.  Eating super healthy helps too.

But for me this one time i worked out for 45min, then jogged 15min. I couldn't sleep that night, and next day i was destroyed with weakness, dizzy, and sleepy.

(I didn't even push myself that much. I just worked out full body fast, to get me going) Should i just try bicycle calm, then do some calm workouts for 30min max? I find it boring to not be able to push hard though...was almost a bodybuilder as a teen :D

To your question. The most things that helped me was jogging, seriously that fixes me.

Also "Inositol" and "black seed oil" those have been miracles.

Other things to support my GABA has been Taurine, and Valerian root, also as many chamomille tea i want. It's kind of nice to drink them, like a ritual. L-theanine too is very good!

For energy i would recommend Maca root, make a tea of it, stir with spoon, and drink so you get the powder in.

Also meditation is a big deal breaker here!! It's harder to do it in withdrawals, but once you get the hang of it, do not leave it. Continue!

I'm thinking to try CBD oil, or BPC-157 peptide, not sure of these ones though. I don't like the idea of throwing in more stuff, without knowing what or who caused the side effects..

This is unfortunately a question that is so unique, it’s hard to answer. If I tried half of some of the things other suggested, I’d be sick 24/7. If half the people tried my methods, they’d be sick 24/7. Everyone’s journey is so much trial and error, it’s hard to give advice.

However, I agree with excercise. While a pain at first, the long term benefits are worth it. I can’t take ANY supplements, I have to eat a Whole Foods plant based diet so cover all my bases. Outside of that, time is all that’s helped. Time and a lot of self care.

When I started to feel overall better and be able to go outside after acute: Staying busy, distract, socialize, push myself out of the mental loop and challenge my thoughts.

Also not dwelling too much on my symptoms with others and faking it.

From september til the end of december I couldn’t watch TV, read, sleep well or go outside without freaking out. At this time I was just reading success stories here and did positive self talk as much as I could.

It really depends on what you’re able to do in the moment.

Distract was best thing for my mental sx find something keep your mind busy project of some sort what ever your into i rebuilt 2 motors and remodeled bath room just because it made mental go away why i was doing it just pace your self

This is unfortunately a question that is so unique, it’s hard to answer. If I tried half of some of the things other suggested, I’d be sick 24/7. If half the people tried my methods, they’d be sick 24/7. Everyone’s journey is so much trial and error, it’s hard to give advice.

However, I agree with excercise. While a pain at first, the long term benefits are worth it. I can’t take ANY supplements, I have to eat a Whole Foods plant based diet so cover all my bases. Outside of that, time is all that’s helped. Time and a lot of self care.

I also eat a WFPB diet. John McDougall has a wonderful forum. I am a member there but do not post often. I go there to mostly read. I eat mostly how Dr. Joel Fuhrman advocates however.

How long have you been eating WFPB and why did you make the change from SAD?

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums

Exercise has dramatically helped me mentally.  I do it as much and as often as I can and the mental benefits really kick in when I push myself hard.  It erases all the mental pain for up to a few hours after I finish.  The benefits are starting to spill over between workouts now too.  Eating super healthy helps too.

This

And 5htp for me

What has helped you the most with the mental symptoms?  Is time the only thing or are there other things that can be done?

Taking up running 18 months ago. I'll never be fast but it has really helped with my anxiety and depression, plus I've made some new running friends  :)

[79...]
Seems like exercise seems to be the winner.  I just got a stationary bike so I am going to start there. Thanks everyone

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like exercise seems to be the winner.  I just got a stationary bike so I am going to start there. Thanks everyone

I think its wonderful you got an exercise bike. Now you can get on and pedal whenever you want and not have to deal with all the ickiness of a gym (crowds, waiting list for equipment, germs!)

I have an exercise bike in my den and it has been a lifesaver.

• 2 weeks later...
Getting out of the initial mindset of: "I can't exercise, I'm too tired," and just doing it. Go to the gym and workout, even if you feel really flat. Work slowly, and ease your way into a routine. You'll feel exhausted afterwards, but I swear it helps with all the s/x.

exercising, juicing, half body weight in water, plant based diet, probiotics and prebiotics, breathing with 4-7-8, very little meat, cutting out chemicals from food.

exercising, juicing, half body weight in water, plant based diet, probiotics and prebiotics, breathing with 4-7-8, very little meat, cutting out chemicals from food.

I agree with all these things, especially the diet. I’d start out slow with exercise though.

• 3 weeks later...

Exercise for me, 100% I believe it has saved my life. When Im working really hard physically, it takes my mind off the mental torture. You cant focus on both at once :) When Im dripping in sweat I visualize sweating all of the poison out of my body. Even when I don't feel like it, I force myself to go … there have been days when Ive laid on my yoga mat crying in the back of class, and there are days when Im amazed at how physically fit I have gotten over the past year. Its amazing what our bodies can endure. Exercise is natures antidepressant and for me, it has helped to be around other people who are working on a positive life style. I understand we are all different and in different places in our journey but that has been my experience.

I also use an app called "Calm" that has guided meditations specifically for anxiety and depression and that has helped me a lot. They also have what they call bedtime stories which has helped me immensely when I cant sleep. When my mind is racing at night, I turn on one of those stories and I focus on the story and it has helped SO MUCH!

Sending you good vibes !!!

I'll chime in and concur with the exercising as well. Nothing helps as much as fast as exercise does for me. Although, the serotonin rush I get from it does wear off after a few hours.

I think the thing that has helped me most with my overall mental wellbeing is mindful meditation and buddhist philosophy. Buddhism really drives home the fact that everything is impermanent, and this too shall pass. We are ever-changing, and the 'you' that is reading this will be a different 'you' 10 minutes from now, 10 days from now, 10 months from now, etc. It's also taught me that suffering is a part of life, and to almost 'embrace' it. Rather than trying to run away from anxiety or whatever else, I now try to 'observe' it as though it's not part of me. It has taken practice, and I still have LONG way to go, but it has definitely helped and has starting changing my whole outlook on life and on reality.

Other honorable mentions: Yoga (Kundalini specifically), cutting out caffeine, NO alcohol, healthy eating (although sometimes I cheat, I can't help it), tart cherry juice, probiotics, distracting myself with work, errands, playing guitar, reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, etc.

I'll chime in and concur with the exercising as well. Nothing helps as much as fast as exercise does for me. Although, the serotonin rush I get from it does wear off after a few hours.

I think the thing that has helped me most with my overall mental wellbeing is mindful meditation and buddhist philosophy. Buddhism really drives home the fact that everything is impermanent, and this too shall pass. We are ever-changing, and the 'you' that is reading this will be a different 'you' 10 minutes from now, 10 days from now, 10 months from now, etc. It's also taught me that suffering is a part of life, and to almost 'embrace' it. Rather than trying to run away from anxiety or whatever else, I now try to 'observe' it as though it's not part of me. It has taken practice, and I still have LONG way to go, but it has definitely helped and has starting changing my whole outlook on life and on reality.

Other honorable mentions: Yoga (Kundalini specifically), cutting out caffeine, NO alcohol, healthy eating (although sometimes I cheat, I can't help it), tart cherry juice, probiotics, distracting myself with work, errands, playing guitar, reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, etc.

@Heardaybenz yes yes yes!! I love This, thank you! I too have started taking free guided meditation classes at a local Buddhist monastery and while I’m finding it EXTREMELY hard to get through the entire hour of mediation, I find a lot of peace in the teachings and mantras. I have also recently started going to Kundalini yoga and it’s so powerful! Life changing for sure!

@Heardaybenz yes yes yes!! I love This, thank you! I too have started taking free guided meditation classes at a local Buddhist monastery and while I’m finding it EXTREMELY hard to get through the entire hour of mediation, I find a lot of peace in the teachings and mantras. I have also recently started going to Kundalini yoga and it’s so powerful! Life changing for sure!

Wow! You're the first person on here that has responded that's even heard of Kundalini, let alone is practicing it! It's pretty great, huh?! I love it, even though there are a lot of moments in there that I wonder to myself if I've joined a cult! (the chanting and the singing.. haha). But the postures and breath work in it are specifically designed to strengthen the nervous system, and it seems to really work! Yes.. I too find it nearly impossible to get through an entire hour of meditation. I usually just do like 5-10 minutes of meditation a day on my own. Even that little seems to help a ton.

Wow! You're the first person on here that has responded that's even heard of Kundalini, let alone is practicing it! It's pretty great, huh?! I love it, even though there are a lot of moments in there that I wonder to myself if I've joined a cult! (the chanting and the singing.. haha). But the postures and breath work in it are specifically designed to strengthen the nervous system, and it seems to really work! Yes.. I too find it nearly impossible to get through an entire hour of meditation. I usually just do like 5-10 minutes of meditation a day on my own. Even that little seems to help a ton.

Hahaha yes! Sometimes I sit in class and look around and wonder "what the heck is going on in here?!" but something about the breathwork and mantras, I just feel transported to a place of peace if even temporarily and I feel like it helps my meditation practice as well. Im really looking forward to getting deeper into the practice.

The quote I took from this mornings practice which I thought is so applicable to all of us on here …. "The path to happiness is to train the mind." - Yogi Bhajan.

• 2 weeks later...

Sleep (if you can), celery juice, distractions, and getting out of your dwelling place periodically (at least once per week), and trying to move around (if you can't exercise) as opposed to just laying in bed or on the couch.  Also Benedryl and Melatonin (fast melt melatonin 3mg at Walmart)  L Lysine is good for lots of things, too.  It's supposed to help balance hormones which affect the mental stuff.  Also fiber and nutritious foods at least included in the diet.

Kindly,

j

1) My slightly above average intellect with the propensity to connect the major dots very fast, and also analyze.

2) Bouts when my selfishness steers off track to the point I rediscover primordial empathy and trust at its purest (doesn't stick though  :sick:)

I walk an hour a day broken up into 30 minute sessions .

This is done at the stables I am now located at in SoCal . They are open and airy and it is a very large ranch . My mares love it and I do too . I walked at the last place where we were also but this is better . I walked 5 miles a day before W/D and I think I probably walk 1-2 miles now . Funny thing is that I am in a wheelchair most of the time if I am not moving . Moving for some reason keeps my heart rate way down , when I stop it goes back up .

The horses were my job also and it helps me to stay around work even if I can't work right now , I get ideas how I can adapt or possibly come back .

I practice meditation with the  Yogoda Satsanga Society of India . I like that alot .

Moving back home to SoCal was the best thing emotionally.