Author Topic: What has helped you the most?  (Read 2252 times)

[Buddie]

Re: What has helped you the most?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2019, 04:36:42 pm »
@Heardaybenz yes yes yes!! I love This, thank you! I too have started taking free guided meditation classes at a local Buddhist monastery and while Iím finding it EXTREMELY hard to get through the entire hour of mediation, I find a lot of peace in the teachings and mantras. I have also recently started going to Kundalini yoga and itís so powerful! Life changing for sure!

Wow! You're the first person on here that has responded that's even heard of Kundalini, let alone is practicing it! It's pretty great, huh?! I love it, even though there are a lot of moments in there that I wonder to myself if I've joined a cult! (the chanting and the singing.. haha). But the postures and breath work in it are specifically designed to strengthen the nervous system, and it seems to really work! Yes.. I too find it nearly impossible to get through an entire hour of meditation. I usually just do like 5-10 minutes of meditation a day on my own. Even that little seems to help a ton.

I just started doing Kundalini and I agree 100%!
Its amazing. The breath work is so cool. It really works on the nervous system and clearing out bad energy. I would never have done this a few years ago, but now I am ALL in. It does feel a little bit like a cult! I have studied Buddhism off/on for years and am now fully embracing these eastern practices. They are really wonderful.

But its true, sometimes it hard to do too much at once. As our nervous system heals, we will be capable of so much more.

OOOOMMMM  ;)

This made me laugh out loud! THANK YOU ! Yes it does sometimes feel a little cultish but the breathwork I swear transports me to a place of peace. It does feel kinda weird sometimes but Im convinced its doing something magical. Let me know how it goes for you!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2019, 09:35:00 pm »
@Heardaybenz yes yes yes!! I love This, thank you! I too have started taking free guided meditation classes at a local Buddhist monastery and while Iím finding it EXTREMELY hard to get through the entire hour of mediation, I find a lot of peace in the teachings and mantras. I have also recently started going to Kundalini yoga and itís so powerful! Life changing for sure!

Wow! You're the first person on here that has responded that's even heard of Kundalini, let alone is practicing it! It's pretty great, huh?! I love it, even though there are a lot of moments in there that I wonder to myself if I've joined a cult! (the chanting and the singing.. haha). But the postures and breath work in it are specifically designed to strengthen the nervous system, and it seems to really work! Yes.. I too find it nearly impossible to get through an entire hour of meditation. I usually just do like 5-10 minutes of meditation a day on my own. Even that little seems to help a ton.

I just started doing Kundalini and I agree 100%!
Its amazing. The breath work is so cool. It really works on the nervous system and clearing out bad energy. I would never have done this a few years ago, but now I am ALL in. It does feel a little bit like a cult! I have studied Buddhism off/on for years and am now fully embracing these eastern practices. They are really wonderful.

But its true, sometimes it hard to do too much at once. As our nervous system heals, we will be capable of so much more.

OOOOMMMM  ;)

This made me laugh out loud! THANK YOU ! Yes it does sometimes feel a little cultish but the breathwork I swear transports me to a place of peace. It does feel kinda weird sometimes but Im convinced its doing something magical. Let me know how it goes for you!

Love hearing about all the other Kundalini fans out there! Yes, it does feel quite magical! I just signed up for a Kundalini class that being put on by my city that starts next week. Once a week until the end of November, I'm so excited! Namaste!!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2019, 10:02:30 pm »
I'll chime in and concur with the exercising as well. Nothing helps as much as fast as exercise does for me. Although, the serotonin rush I get from it does wear off after a few hours.

I think the thing that has helped me most with my overall mental wellbeing is mindful meditation and buddhist philosophy. Buddhism really drives home the fact that everything is impermanent, and this too shall pass. We are ever-changing, and the 'you' that is reading this will be a different 'you' 10 minutes from now, 10 days from now, 10 months from now, etc. It's also taught me that suffering is a part of life, and to almost 'embrace' it. Rather than trying to run away from anxiety or whatever else, I now try to 'observe' it as though it's not part of me. It has taken practice, and I still have LONG way to go, but it has definitely helped and has starting changing my whole outlook on life and on reality.

Other honorable mentions: Yoga (Kundalini specifically), cutting out caffeine, NO alcohol, healthy eating (although sometimes I cheat, I can't help it), tart cherry juice, probiotics, distracting myself with work, errands, playing guitar, reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, etc.

Following. I'm reading all these comments and there's a bhudist temple in my neighborhood. After reading you I'm considering visiting them.

[Buddie]

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2019, 10:57:50 pm »
I'll chime in and concur with the exercising as well. Nothing helps as much as fast as exercise does for me. Although, the serotonin rush I get from it does wear off after a few hours.

I think the thing that has helped me most with my overall mental wellbeing is mindful meditation and buddhist philosophy. Buddhism really drives home the fact that everything is impermanent, and this too shall pass. We are ever-changing, and the 'you' that is reading this will be a different 'you' 10 minutes from now, 10 days from now, 10 months from now, etc. It's also taught me that suffering is a part of life, and to almost 'embrace' it. Rather than trying to run away from anxiety or whatever else, I now try to 'observe' it as though it's not part of me. It has taken practice, and I still have LONG way to go, but it has definitely helped and has starting changing my whole outlook on life and on reality.

Other honorable mentions: Yoga (Kundalini specifically), cutting out caffeine, NO alcohol, healthy eating (although sometimes I cheat, I can't help it), tart cherry juice, probiotics, distracting myself with work, errands, playing guitar, reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, etc.

Following. I'm reading all these comments and there's a bhudist temple in my neighborhood. After reading you I'm considering visiting them.

ValimNoMore, I think you will like it! Most of the temples off a free (vegetarian) lunch after the free meditation classes. I'm not sure you are working or looking or seeking community but they also have volunteer opportunities to work in the kitchen or on site gardens. Its super peaceful and serene and best of all its all free. If you check it out, let me know how it goes! Best wishes.

[Buddie]

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2019, 09:26:43 pm »
Wow; I am going to try that!  I find exercise helps me alot! I find.if i over do it, which doesnt take much. I feel kinda sickly gor a day or two. I am always glad i did it though. Ive been doing some yogaanf trying to pay attention to my body. Its pretty cool i feel more in tune with myself. Working on diet  but  nothing overly scr8ct. Cant handle that extra stress right now.

[Buddie]

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2019, 03:00:38 pm »
Seems like exercise seems to be the winner.  I just got a stationary bike so I am going to start there. Thanks everyone

I think its wonderful you got an exercise bike. Now you can get on and pedal whenever you want and not have to deal with all the ickiness of a gym (crowds, waiting list for equipment, germs!)

I have an exercise bike in my den and it has been a lifesaver.
Yep, I have one at home too and try to do it daily. I also go to the gym 4X per week to strength train a little. The bike is low to no impact so great if you have issues with things like knee pain for example. I don't do anymore intense cardio workouts. All my cardio is now low to moderate in intensity. That seems to work the best for me. I agree.....exercise can be a game changer for many people and I highly recommend it.

[Buddie]

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2019, 08:22:58 pm »
In acute we, walking. Now with anxiety but milder, this sleep hypnosis video :

https://youtu.be/Cp9abS-7m_A

[Buddie]

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2019, 06:34:59 pm »
BUMP

I loved exercising, sadly now I find it disturbing for my body. My Dog also suffers. I would like to go hiking, meet with other Dog lovers, do my P90X workouts ... But I can't ... I am too depressed and filled with negative thoughts.  ::)

[Buddie]

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2019, 07:35:49 pm »
P90X is pretty intense, isn't it? All my workouts are mild to moderate. Anymore than that revs up my fragile CNS too much.

[Buddie]

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2019, 09:20:36 pm »
P90X is pretty intense, isn't it? All my workouts are mild to moderate. Anymore than that revs up my fragile CNS too much.

Forgive me for going off topic, but I noticed youíve been on benzos almost 30 years.  So have I.  I took Klonopin for years, too, and am on [...] like you, too.  Iím down to 3.75 mg of [...].  Just wanted to comment, since our signatures (although mine isnít visible) are almost identical. 

j