Author Topic: What has helped you the most?  (Read 2566 times)

[Buddie]

Re: What has helped you the most?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 12:32:56 pm »
What has helped you the most with the mental symptoms?  Is time the only thing or are there other things that can be done?

Taking up running 18 months ago. I'll never be fast but it has really helped with my anxiety and depression, plus I've made some new running friends  :)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 06:11:06 pm »
Seems like exercise seems to be the winner.  I just got a stationary bike so I am going to start there. Thanks everyone
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 11:49:58 pm »
Seems like exercise seems to be the winner.  I just got a stationary bike so I am going to start there. Thanks everyone

I think its wonderful you got an exercise bike. Now you can get on and pedal whenever you want and not have to deal with all the ickiness of a gym (crowds, waiting list for equipment, germs!)

I have an exercise bike in my den and it has been a lifesaver.

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 02:43:14 pm »
Low stimulation video games   :thumbsup:

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 10:07:01 am »
Getting out of the initial mindset of: "I can't exercise, I'm too tired," and just doing it. Go to the gym and workout, even if you feel really flat. Work slowly, and ease your way into a routine. You'll feel exhausted afterwards, but I swear it helps with all the s/x.

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 04:05:42 pm »
exercising, juicing, half body weight in water, plant based diet, probiotics and prebiotics, breathing with 4-7-8, very little meat, cutting out chemicals from food.

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 01:15:30 pm »
exercising, juicing, half body weight in water, plant based diet, probiotics and prebiotics, breathing with 4-7-8, very little meat, cutting out chemicals from food.

I agree with all these things, especially the diet. Iíd start out slow with exercise though.

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 02:55:32 pm »
Exercise for me, 100% I believe it has saved my life. When Im working really hard physically, it takes my mind off the mental torture. You cant focus on both at once :) When Im dripping in sweat I visualize sweating all of the poison out of my body. Even when I don't feel like it, I force myself to go Ö there have been days when Ive laid on my yoga mat crying in the back of class, and there are days when Im amazed at how physically fit I have gotten over the past year. Its amazing what our bodies can endure. Exercise is natures antidepressant and for me, it has helped to be around other people who are working on a positive life style. I understand we are all different and in different places in our journey but that has been my experience.

I also use an app called "Calm" that has guided meditations specifically for anxiety and depression and that has helped me a lot. They also have what they call bedtime stories which has helped me immensely when I cant sleep. When my mind is racing at night, I turn on one of those stories and I focus on the story and it has helped SO MUCH!

Sending you good vibes !!!

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 04:44:15 pm »
I'll chime in and concur with the exercising as well. Nothing helps as much as fast as exercise does for me. Although, the serotonin rush I get from it does wear off after a few hours.

I think the thing that has helped me most with my overall mental wellbeing is mindful meditation and buddhist philosophy. Buddhism really drives home the fact that everything is impermanent, and this too shall pass. We are ever-changing, and the 'you' that is reading this will be a different 'you' 10 minutes from now, 10 days from now, 10 months from now, etc. It's also taught me that suffering is a part of life, and to almost 'embrace' it. Rather than trying to run away from anxiety or whatever else, I now try to 'observe' it as though it's not part of me. It has taken practice, and I still have LONG way to go, but it has definitely helped and has starting changing my whole outlook on life and on reality.

Other honorable mentions: Yoga (Kundalini specifically), cutting out caffeine, NO alcohol, healthy eating (although sometimes I cheat, I can't help it), tart cherry juice, probiotics, distracting myself with work, errands, playing guitar, reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, etc.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 04:59:20 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 05:45:30 pm »
I'll chime in and concur with the exercising as well. Nothing helps as much as fast as exercise does for me. Although, the serotonin rush I get from it does wear off after a few hours.

I think the thing that has helped me most with my overall mental wellbeing is mindful meditation and buddhist philosophy. Buddhism really drives home the fact that everything is impermanent, and this too shall pass. We are ever-changing, and the 'you' that is reading this will be a different 'you' 10 minutes from now, 10 days from now, 10 months from now, etc. It's also taught me that suffering is a part of life, and to almost 'embrace' it. Rather than trying to run away from anxiety or whatever else, I now try to 'observe' it as though it's not part of me. It has taken practice, and I still have LONG way to go, but it has definitely helped and has starting changing my whole outlook on life and on reality.

Other honorable mentions: Yoga (Kundalini specifically), cutting out caffeine, NO alcohol, healthy eating (although sometimes I cheat, I can't help it), tart cherry juice, probiotics, distracting myself with work, errands, playing guitar, reading, listening to podcasts/audiobooks, etc.

@Heardaybenz yes yes yes!! I love This, thank you! I too have started taking free guided meditation classes at a local Buddhist monastery and while Iím finding it EXTREMELY hard to get through the entire hour of mediation, I find a lot of peace in the teachings and mantras. I have also recently started going to Kundalini yoga and itís so powerful! Life changing for sure!