Rapid detox 3 months of 4-6 mg Xanax daily need advice.

[Be...]

I started on Xanax about 3 months ago for extreme panic attacks that led me to thr ER almost every week, I thought something was wrong with my heart and had chest pains, thought I was having a heart attack. Anyways the last visit to the ER they gave me Ativan through the IV and it helped a lot, went to my primary care Doctor and asked for it, he prescribed me 0.5 mg Xanax 3 times a day, I took more then was told my doctor and ended up to around 4-6 mg daily. So I began reading up on Benzo WD because last month my prescription ran out in 10 days I was abusing them. I was forced to cold turkey didn’t know what I was getting my self into. The worst experience of my life. Blurry vision along with so many horrific symptoms I couldn’t function after the 8th day asked anyone I knew if they had ANYTHING. It got so bad I had such an extreme panic attack, I yelled and thought I was dying. My mom called the emergency. They came but I didn’t know what to do, I was so out of it I didn’t tell them anything and that I was just having an extreme panic attack. They checked my vitals and went on their way. Made an appointment to see my doctor and upped my dose with a new script to be able to get my prescription early. Anyways I was prescribed 2mg Xanax 2 times daily. I realized this drug is making things a lot worse for me. I started rapid tapering, I also had no choice, but I’m Determined to get off this nasty nasty drug. I’ve battled with anxiety since I was 15-16 years old and after my brothers death when I was 16 it got worse and worse. Anyways I still would rather be the person I was before and learn to cope than be like this, I tapered from 4-6 mg daily to 1.5 mg in 1 in a half weeks. I feel like complete crap I can barely function, and I’m also running out of my pills, to even make it until my next script I have to do another 50 percent cut for about 2 weeks. My refill date is the on the 20th of this month but usually can get it filled 3 days before. So now I’m stuck and don’t know what to do, I’m scared hopeless and extremely worried. Does anyone have any advice for me I’m new to this forum and I’ve learned so much from you guys already thank you.

After only 3 months sporadic high dose use......if i were you.....i would get a valium script and do about a two week taper off the valium. Ive done high doses for 10-15 days straight then nothing for a week or two just like you have......for 3-4 month periods. Be sure not to get on them any longer then you have been with daily use or youll be in worse trouble if you do.

After only 3 months sporadic high dose use......if i were you.....i would get a valium script and do about a two week taper off the valium. Ive done high doses for 10-15 days straight then nothing for a week or two just like you have......for 3-4 month periods. Be sure not to get on them any longer then you have been with daily use or youll be in worse trouble if you do.

Same here & I completely second this. I did the same thing, I would use high doses daily for several month’s then stop for a couple weeks thinking that the break was preventing me from doing any damage. I was way wrong. It wasn’t until I completely quit did I understand the wrath of what I had been so foolishly avoiding for so long. I wish I would have put it together sooner bc there were tons of signs & sx but when they would subside for a day or two I thought it was gone only for them to return with a vengeance. I would suggest getting stable & then crossing over. If u know for a fact that u can’t control ur usage with the xanax, don’t risk it. It’s not worth it. Get urself off as soon & safe as possible. IMO, these drugs do WAY more harm than good. Listen to ur body. Listen, listen, listen. All the best in healing

I tend to agree with these replies. May I ask how old you are? That might make a difference.

Many people have done what you did, me included. I was a nurse when I got on benzos, and yes, I got them from the hospital I worked in. Back then benzos were not accounted for and many staff helped themselves. I took a heck of a lot of benzos for thirty long years and over time they began to affect my overall health in enormous ways. But because I had never learned in school or on the job what benzos can do, I did not associate my problems with my nightly benzos.

I took benzos for chronic insomnia. NOT to get high. Just at night. But I took a huge amount of them and lived to pay the price. Good for you in wanting to get off them asap.

Let me know if I can help you further.

east

I think the best approach would is, be honest with your doctor.  There is a good chance he has no idea of the WD effects of Benzos, so you might have to educate him.  Let him know you want off the medication and thru your research, it shows the best way to get off is a long-acting Benzo like valium.  If he has any clue about controlled substances he will have you sign a controlled substance contract but should work with you on getting off the medication.  The best possible outcome would be a slow taper and with your history, it could be reasonably quick.  Please let me know if I can be of further assistance in helping you resolve this situation.  I have dealt with a number of people who have been on long term narcotics and benzos. 

You have been given so really good advice from seasoned warriors. I agree with all of them.

But how are you doing now?? What has happened?