Diabetes diagnosed a month after benzo withdrawal

[...]

Can the WD process and post-WD period after jumping off a benzo  wreak havoc on blood sugar levels and cause diabetes type 2? In my case, possibly yes. I’m 32 days off valium and my blood sugar has gone high to diabetic range. My diet is ideal and I exercise. I’ve started taking metformin. I’m hoping this reduces my post-WD extreme fatigue, although metformin can cause fatigue in and of itself.

Anyone here have a similar experience after WD from any benzo?

This topic has been bandied about, but there seems to be no consensus. Yet I believe that, yes, a diagnosis of diabetes after taking benzos can happen. I know of one person who had that, and I'm sure there are others. People have reported wild ups and downs in blood sugar also.

I've had terrible blood issues, namely platelets that suddenly rise very high, bloody noses out of nowhere, and blood pressure issues.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. 

Terry38,  My gut says that your high platelets and nose bleeds are benzo-related. I developed secondary polycythemia in the midst of withdrawal. Gone now. I also have  blood pressure issues. I hope that the hematological effects of benzo use and withdrawal are studied. I’m convinced, with no data to back me, that blood parameter changes are a significant issue for benzo users past and present. My sense is also that the issue of incapacitating fatigue is blood parameter change-based.

Can the WD process and post-WD period after jumping off a benzo  wreak havoc on blood sugar levels and cause diabetes type 2? In my case, possibly yes. I’m 32 days off valium and my blood sugar has gone high to diabetic range. My diet is ideal and I exercise. I’ve started taking metformin. I’m hoping this reduces my post-WD extreme fatigue, although metformin can cause fatigue in and of itself.

Anyone here have a similar experience after WD from any benzo?

This is an interesting question!

We know cortisol levels and insulin levels are transiently affected even with a single dose.  Cortisol affects blood sugar levels as well.

But to cause diabetes is quite another thing.

Has the doctor measured your serum AM and PM cortisol levels?.  It can take a while for cortisol levels to return to normal levels after a long WD program.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC387833/

And a non scientific article on cortisol and blood sugar.  There’s many others.....

https://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/111609p38.shtml

Has the doctor formally diagnosed you with type 2? 

Do you mind sharing your morning fasting blood glucose level?

Thanks

You’re welcome! AM cortisol is 17. PM cortisol unknown. Morning fasting blood glucose has recently been 126-128. ‘Informal’ diagnosis so far. I’ve been insulin resistant for many years, along with having PCOS. The benzo belly is coming down but still impressive.

You’re welcome! AM cortisol is 17. PM cortisol unknown. Morning fasting blood glucose has recently been 126-128. ‘Informal’ diagnosis so far. I’ve been insulin resistant for many years, along with having PCOS. The benzo belly is coming down but still impressive.

Thanks for the quick reply.

That’s a perfect AM cortisol level.

I’m glad you are “only” a tad bit above prediabetic in terms of your serum glucose.  You caught it early😄👍👍

I hadn’t realized you were insulin resistant. 

I just ran across this interesting study.  Who would of thought the two were related like this?  Amazing....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29606630

I just ran across this interesting study.  Who would of thought the two were related like this?  Amazing....

This is fascinating! Thanks!

‘...Here we use native GABAA receptors in human islet β cells as biological sensors and reveal that 100-1000nM GABA elicit the maximal opening frequency of the single-channels. In saturating GABA, the channels desensitized and stopped working...’

I wonder if potentially permanently or only transiently stopped. Might be difficult to determine.

This is fascinating! Thanks!

‘...Here we use native GABAA receptors in human islet β cells as biological sensors and reveal that 100-1000nM GABA elicit the maximal opening frequency of the single-channels. In saturating GABA, the channels desensitized and stopped working...’

I wonder if potentially permanently or only transiently stopped. Might be difficult to determine.

It appears to be transient.  I don’t think this is directly related.

When were you diagnosed with PCOS?

• 4 weeks later...

So diabetes from withdrawal, not from being on??

Hi, cs!  Did you manage to complete your taper? Hope so

So diabetes from withdrawal, not from being on??

Hi, cs!  Did you manage to complete your taper? Hope so

Hi Barbara,  I am down to the last few milligrams of librium. 

• 3 months later...
I’ve always been a thin person and my gkucose levels were always normal....on the lower side. Yesterday I took my glucose in the morning and it marked 100...it has never been like that :( I am exercising a lot! And also in a coprologic test there were a lot of fats in my stool. I am scared this will give me a metabolic syndrome :( I was healthy before this!!!