Vegetable glycerine for liquid titration ?

[ch...]

Hi everyone. I may have a problem getting my RX Valium in future as the Doctor is arguing over  who prescribed it. Questioning if I had got it privately. I had not, It was supplied by my NHS Doctor per instruction for my psychiatrist. I have been ringing each day to see if they have sorted the problem, but as yet I have not had a positive response.

I am therefore looking into alternatives in order to use liquid titration for the  taper part of my dose.

I do not wish to use any alcohol for personal reasons, and I seem to react to dairy since taking Valium, though not before.

I read someone on BB that vegetable glycerine can be used, and can get some that is pharma quality, for human consumption, on line from Amazon.

However I am puzzled how this would work. I can see that the glycerine might well dissolve a Valium tablet, but then do you mix it with water? I did not think that oil and water would mix but end up like an oil slick on the surface. Also how much would be needed per mg of Valium

My only other thought is almond milk, but I don't know if this will work.

Thank  you for any advice you can give.

I don't know anything about glycerine. Maybe someone who does know will chime in. But . . .

I do know some people use propylene glycol as a suspension agent. Maybe they will chime in too.

I don't see anything wrong with using almond milk. Does it have a significant fat content? That would be best.

I used Ora Plus for awhile then switched to vodka. Here's the info on Ora Plus:

Ora-Plus is a unique suspending vehicle used to simplify the process involved in the extemporaneous compounding of oral suspensions. Medicated powder can be incorpo- rated into Ora-Plus to form elegant, uniform and physically stable suspensions

I wanted something that would let me make a solution, not a suspension, hence the vodka.

The "medicated powder" in your case would be valium. Just grind it up. It really tasted like nothing. And the advantage is that you could dilute the suspension to make tiny cuts.

It's available from amazon.

Katz

Thank you Katz. I will look up Ora Plus on Amazon UK. We don't always have the same things as you but it might be there. If it has to be imported it becomes too pricey. Did you grind you tablets, or did you just wait for the tablet to dissolve?

This is just a contingency plan in  case I am unable to get the RX Valium. I don't know why they are being so difficult. I hope they don't think I am getting Valium from two sources and then cut back on my allowance of 2mg Valium a day. I need to stabilise on the liquid before I do anything else.

What ratio did you use to dilute your valium. Everyone seems to use 1mg valium to 10 mgs liquid, but my eyes would struggle to read the tiny increments on a 1mg syringe. I thought perhaps for me I would use 1mg to 100mls over liquid?  going down 1ml a day as I am at such a low level and super sensitive .

Thank you for replying builder, I was thinking about the side effects of PG on the digestive system. From what I have read it can cause disturbances. Does it mix with water the same way that vodka does?  and what amount would you use when dissolving 1mg of valium, please

1)  The formula/ratios are the same as with vodka

2)  As with vodka, the amounts required are so tiny its extremely unlikely that it could cause any difficulty.

3)  But we all know that continuing to take benzo will cause significant issue.

Everyone seems to use 1mg valium to 10 mgs liquid, but my eyes would struggle to read the tiny increments on a 1mg syringe.

Hmm. Liquids are measured in mls, not mgs. A milliliter (ml) is a measure of volume.  A milligram (mg) is a measure of weight. You in all likelihood do not have a 1 mg syringe.

I used the vodka method. I put 1 mg (half a 2 mg tab) of valium in a 100 ml beaker, then added 2 ml of vodka (I measured this with a 5 ml syringe that I got from my pharmacy) and filled the beaker with water. I had no trouble reading the lines on the syringe.

For measuring other amounts, I also had a 10 ml syringe. No problem reading it.

Your pharmacy may give you syringes for nothing. Mine did. Or you could get some at your vet's office if you have a pet. They are very generous. Or, you can order them from amazon. That's where I got my 100 ml beaker.

I don't know what others have suggested. The above worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Katz

Thank you builder. I am holding for the past 2.5 weeks at 2mgs, from my original 4mg. It took me 5 months to drop the 2mgs, but all a struggle, and am still very jittery but know that I need to continue with my taper. Sadly unlike you I am not symptoms free, but what else can I do. I have to continue at some point. Thank you for the advice.

Thank you Katz. I will look up Ora Plus on Amazon UK. We don't always have the same things as you but it might be there. If it has to be imported it becomes too pricey. Did you grind you tablets, or did you just wait for the tablet to dissolve?

This is just a contingency plan in  case I am unable to get the RX Valium. I don't know why they are being so difficult. I hope they don't think I am getting Valium from two sources and then cut back on my allowance of 2mg Valium a day. I need to stabilise on the liquid before I do anything else.

What ratio did you use to dilute your valium. Everyone seems to use 1mg valium to 10 mgs liquid, but my eyes would struggle to read the tiny increments on a 1mg syringe. I thought perhaps for me I would use 1mg to 100mls over liquid?  going down 1ml a day as I am at such a low level and super sensitive .

Katz , thanks for the advice. I made a slip before about ml's and mg's . Could you tell me did you stay on the same 100ml's liquid to 1mg Valium all the way down and did you taper to nothing. I am only thinking that the % rate gets larger as you drop. Just want to get this last bit right, as I've had such a difficult journey. 

Thanks Jen

100ml's liquid to 1mg Valium all the way down and did you taper to nothing.

Yes and yes.

From my 100ml/1 mg of valium/vodka, I took a tiny taper amount for the last mg. It was .01 mgs or 1 ml of my liquid. It took me 100 days to taper off the last mg.

And I did taper to zero.

As for the OraPlus, remember that it will not dissolve your valium. It will only make a suspension. So I ground the pill up as finely as I could. I abandoned the OraPlus, as I said, when I heard about the vodka method. I wanted a solution. I didn't want to worry that the valium might not be evenly distributed in the OraPlus.

Good luck. And you may be able to get the pharmacy grade liquid. That will make things easier.

I just wonder about the fact that you said you did not want to use alcohol (i.e. in the vodka method) for personal reasons. You do realize, don't you, that the pharma liquid contains a significant amount of alcohol? Just thought I'd mention this in case your reluctance is, e.g., is a religious thing.

Again, good luck.

Katz

100ml's liquid to 1mg Valium all the way down and did you taper to nothing.

I just wonder about the fact that you said you did not want to use alcohol (i.e. in the vodka method) for personal reasons. You do realize, don't you, that the pharma liquid contains a significant amount of alcohol? Just thought I'd mention this in case your reluctance is, e.g., is a religious thing.

Again, good luck.

Katz

In the US, there are 2 Rx liquid diazepam products.

Diazepam Intensol is a 5mg=1ml concentrate and uses alcohol as a solvent (19%)*

Diazepam Oral Solution is 1mg=1ml solution, and uses propylene glycol as a solvent (no alcohol)

*...and while 19%  sounds like a lot of alcohol, keep in mind the concentration (5mg per ml).  That really works out to less than .04ml alcohol per mg.  So even, say, a 5mg dose would only be .2ml alcohol