Water Retention/Swelling...Please Help!!

[...]

I quit 4mg of Klonopin cold turkey and within days noticed rapid swelling/water retention. I have been off of the Klonopin for months now but this issue won’t go away. It is definitely worse in the legs but all over the body as well. It seems like salt and sugar make it 10 times worse but even without that it’s still really bad and unbearable! There have been a few times it drastically improved overnight but I can’t see a reason. PLEASE respond if you’ve dealt with this!! I haven’t heard of anyone else dealing with this and what may help it or the timeline to expect recovery. It’s by far the worst experience of my life. Thank you!
  • Like 1

Before I can advise you correctly I need to know a couple things. How old are you? What medical problems do you have, such as hypertension and cardiac trouble???

Edema is a bit unusual in benzo WD but I am also sure it can happen. But before you assume that, this needs to be looked at a lot closer. If you are, say, over 50 years old and have a cardiac history you need to see your doctor.

I have chronic edema, due to an injury caused by my being on benzos. I also have chronic hypertension. I am 69 years old, God help me! I take a diuretic but it doesn't do much.

Being an RN I can tell you that salt WILL make it worse. Salt makes you retain fluids.

What other symptoms are you having?

Feel free to private message me. I only get here once a day now, as I do work. But I always answer private messages.

east

Thanks for replying! I know it seems strange and believe me I have spent thousands on different blood tests and ultrasound of the legs/chest. Everything has come back normal. I am in my 20’s and was in very good health (no other meds ever, 6’1 160, worked out quite frequently) before this happened. I went on it per a doctors suggestion to alleviate undiagnosed stomach discomfort I was having thinking maybe “it’s stress”. After going CT I noticed this. It is Definitely way worse with salt. However it gets very bad when I’m stressed even if I haven’t eaten or drank anything all day. It is extremely uncomfortable accompanied by a burning sensation in my skin. I also have a frequent intense burning/general discomfort in my stomach but most of the other symptoms from CT have dissipated and everything feels good mentally but I simply can not get rid of this months after stopping. Thanks for the help!

Hi GSB,

Feel free to PM me. I welcome private messages. I don't get here much now but always answer PMs right away.

It does sound as if your swollen legs might be due to benzo WD. You did go CT off a very high dose of K. What hints at benzo wd is your skin burning. That is a very common BWD symptom. I* have never heard from anyone else that they had edema, but nor have I read all the posts on BB. Benzo WD truly is mystifying, causing so many possible symptoms. Because all of those things are caused by your brain, almost anything is possible.

I truly wish I had seen your reply to me sooner. Forgive me, please.

Lots of psychotropic drugs make you drink less when on them. I was 20 % dry on blood screen, adjusted it and got mild oedema.

Secondly and this guesswork, when off benzos I believe serotonin and dopamine go up and we know SSRIs cause fluid retention.

A bighter person will be along soon

Dick