Cigarettes

[97...]

[97...]

Has anyone tried to wean off cigarettes during withdrawal?  I was reading it affects GABA/glutamate to some degree but can't really understand it in the state I am in.

Any experience/input would be great.  Thanks!

Yes I quit was forced to with a gum infection. I used vaping. Its absolutely no problem! I thought it would be but wasn't. I had a reason though cause I didn't want an infection meaning crazy antibiotics...

[97...]

Scooby99,  That's what I want to do but I'm concerned it will cause my neurotransmitters to go haywire even more.

Pheonixrising, I've tried vaping in the past but made my heart palpitations worse despite whatever nicotine content.  I want to quit because I'm reading nicotine affects GABA and glutamate quiet a bit.

Oh sorry I know what u mean. What I found with me was that when I smoked afterwards I would feel awful for 5 10 mins and an increase in heart rate. My heart rate was already high though.

I noticed if I tried the vape I was fine so that's why I eventually switched. I think it's the chemicals in the smoke that affect neurochemistry but obviously not sure. I understand nicotine is a stimulant but I have been ok with just nicotine. No heart racing etc...

Ciggies have approximately 400 nasty chemicals attached to them and we're not allowed to know most of what is used to treat the tobacco.    :idiot:

Through BWD, smoking began to increase my heart palps etc so I have returned to vaping.  With vape, no heart rate increase, cough /congestion goes away in about 30 minutes, no brain rush, no hand shakes, no feeling of addiction (although my brain is certainly addicted).  I'd like to cold turkey and just roll on and am not sure yet that I can handle it.  I personally see vaping as a way to stop cigarettes, nothing more.  I use a vape juice with 3% nic, regardless of what percentage is 'recommended' based on length/amount of use.  Like benzo reduction, the body/brain will adapt to this lesser amount.

I've been able to vape from about 9 am to 4 pm - I smoke a few cigs on either side of this, and continue to eliminate incidence of use.  Just what has been working for me  :)  I think ultimately I will just get to a point in my BWD that I feel okay about cold turkeying cigs and will just do it.  In the meantime, the vape has been a great help. 

If you can't quit CT there is a plant based alkaloid called cytisine that stimulates the same receptors as the nicotine in tobacco. The brand of the supplement is called Tabex. It works better than nicotine replacement aids imo.

I’ve been wondering about this too... smoking makes my symptoms worse (heart race, shakes, nerve pain) but worried if I quit it’ll make my mental symptoms worse!

I heard smoking reduces glutamate / excitocity but that seems odd as it’s so toxic..

I’ve cut down to only a few a day lately

Keen to see what everyone thinks! If quitting is gonna help my symptoms then I’m keen on that!! Too expensive anyway!

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

Well, I am a heavy smoker..a box a day... sometimes I experience an increase of heart rate and on bad says makes my symptoms worse .I tried to quit and that drove me crazy, so I went back. Try to smoke less though but eventually I will give up too. If you can , do it! Will do good for you. 

Hi hope u can.quit that would be awesome! I want to but i have sx amd the withdrawal  of quitting might be too hard. For  me know. I am going to try to cut down. I did see in theashton manual that prof ashton said  that quitting  in bwd may not be a good to quit something like that.  If u can then do it. I def feel it can make sx worse. Good luck!