Hi

[Kb...]

Hi! I have been using prescription Klonopin on and off for over 12 years. I started taking it for the anxiety part of my diagnosed depression. A few years ago, a Dr. took me off of it suddenly and I had discontinuation symptoms like insomnia, rebound anxiety. That issue and  combined with a few other problems I had with the DOC made me switch to another doc who put me back on them. Along with the other medications, helped me  greatly. I saw no reason to change my meds. However, I had to see another doctor who recently, abruptly halved my dosage. It's causing problems, but it's not the worst. But since she wants to take me off of klonopin completely next month I'm worried and looking for support and answers fro m others.

Hello Kbent20 :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community, you will get plenty of support here.  Make an appointment with your doctor, ask if s/he will support a slower taper 50% reduction is too fast.    Benzodiazepines should only be used short term (2/3 weeks). The nature of benzodiazepines is they need to be tapered slow and carefully. 

The rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  Some need to taper much slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

We do have  dedicated boards dealing with Insomnia Anxiety and Depression issues, I'll give you links so you can connect with others who can offer some ideas and help.

Anxiety     

Depression       

Insomnia 

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

• 4 months later...