Excellent new article about psychiatric drug withdrawal from the New Yorker

[Ma...]

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/04/08/the-challenge-of-going-off-psychiatric-drugs

Benzo Buddies is even referenced here! I don't want to spoil the story, but I'll say that the headline of the article sums it up nicely and will likely resonate with most folks on this board. Feels very validating to read this and I'm glad what we're going through is getting attention from a well-respected publication like the New Yorker.

I'm curious what you all think about it.

It's been added twice in the Benzos in the News section. An excellent article, and I hope it sends some big ripples out into the medical community!!!

thanks for the link. I think its really good to see some discussion of this. Overall very positive to see this article.

I will say that i had two criticisms come to mind:

"Fava’s work is widely cited, yet he said that he has struggled to publish his research on this topic. To some degree, that makes sense: no one wants to deter people from taking drugs that may save their life or lift them out of disability. But to avoid investigating or sharing information on the subject—to assume that people can comprehend the drugs’ benefits and not their limits—seems to repeat a pattern of paternalism reminiscent of earlier epochs in the history of psychopharmacology"

- This is one of the most 'hit you in the face' obvious realisation to stumble on if you are investigating it and the author skips right over it. the reasoning is laughable and doesn't hold up at all. No one wants to deter people from taking drugs that may save their lives...........oh thats pretty convenient, guess we cant talk about over prescribing. We need to prescribe more the save more lives right. Moron. How about questioning this pure speculation? no just repeat it and move on regarding the most controversial issue in your whole story.

There is money, wealth and privilege by people who run society involved here. Take the evil Sackler family who have contributed to the opiod epidemic currently wrecking communities. This article should have at least touched on these forces pushing this massive wave of psych drugs. But no, they just trot out the bs line thats always used. Negligence here on authors part.

2. they chose and used the story of a wealthy middle upper class women whose family carried her through alot of the worst parts of how this, i thought they could have mentioned at least how many lose jobs, homes and familes and are not supported by wealthy families.

3. there were weird things i didnt understand scattered throughout this article like this part.....

"e.g. He reminded her, “You described hating becoming a woman.” Laura decided that “he wasn’t legit.” She stopped going to her appointments." - can anyone explain the point of this inclusion or why they felt it required zero context/explanation? ill be honest that this seemed like a political wolf whistle.