Four month Ativan user

[er...]

I posted this in introductions but thought I'd copy here since it seems to fit this topic best.

I had taken 0.5mg Ativan a day for about three months and then 1mg for a month but it didn't do much for my anxiety and my psychiatrist didn't want to go higher (I give him credit for that) so I discontinued. Dr. didn't mention any taper (I blame him for that) so I stopped cold Turkey last Wednesday or Thursday night (can't remember which). I didn't have any immediate symptoms then Saturday night into Sunday I noticed upset stomach, some mild flu-like symptoms on Monday and lack of appetite. Those general symptoms are continuing today with mild headaches. No psychological symptoms other than my usual anxiety. It's been close to a week since I went off so I was wondering if I should reset with a taper or continue to ride it out.

Have you read Ashton? She comes down strongly in favour of a taper. A taper for me would have taken about 10 months and that seems a hell of a long time BUT I am still having symptoms after 6+ months (with a one month taper) even though they are diminishing.

Don’t be fooled by nothing much happening at the moment. This could change at any time. My worst months were 4 and 5.

I think it would be wise to follow Ashton.

Good luck

Hey there. I was almost in the exact same situation as you.  I took Satan‘s drug for approximately two months. By the time I realized that I was experiencing with drawl, I had already stopped cold turkey for about a week. Personally I am really glad that I did not reinstate. My symptoms were definitely uncomfortable but they were tolerable, so I stayed the course. Ativan has a very short half-life, so the with drawl symptoms tend to hit quickly.

I am now nearly 3 months off and am feeling SO much better.  Cold turkey worked out for me, but I was a very short term and low dose user.  I can’t tell you what to do,  but thought that I would share my experience because it sounds similar to yours. Good luck whatever you decide !

Hey there. I was almost in the exact same situation as you.  I took Satan‘s drug for approximately two months. By the time I realized that I was experiencing with drawl, I had already stopped cold turkey for about a week. Personally I am really glad that I did not reinstate. My symptoms were definitely uncomfortable but they were tolerable, so I stayed the course. Ativan has a very short half-life, so the with drawl symptoms tend to hit quickly.

I am now nearly 3 months off and am feeling SO much better.  Cold turkey worked out for me, but I was a very short term and low dose user.  I can’t tell you what to do,  but thought that I would share my experience because it sounds similar to yours. Good luck whatever you decide !

This is basically my feelings and why I don’t want to start up again.. It’s unpleasant but not intolerable so I’ll try to hold out. Thanks for sharing.