Was your entire body SEVERELY NUMB? My spine is still numb...

[Sa...]

I’m in early month 4 since CT off Xanax.  I have not felt my spine (except for a huge feeling of something in it).  Most of my body is NUMB.

I have not felt my bed, I do not feel my butt when sitting, walking, laying down, etc.  I’m worried!!  My left arm tingles and is numb most hours.  Legs and feet also.

Peripheral nueropathy in feet is so painful.

Does this spine numbness go away?  Did you experience this?

SaraSue

Just entered month 7 from a xanax CT & I know exactly what ur talking about. I still get bouts of the burning sharp nerve pain as well as numbness often but it has severely lessened. Now when I get hit with a wave it more so feels like the areas running down both sides of my spine from the base of my skull just tense up. They do also feel a bit numb when this happens but it’s not nearly as widespread as it was at first if that makes sense. It seems like the areas affected are basically shrinking. It’s definitely going away that’s for sure. And when it does happen now, the worst of it lasts for about 30 min & then seems to die down rather quickly. By my next sleep cycle I feel the same as I did before the onset of the wave. Hope this can b helpful, hang in there it does get better.

Have skin sensation but it is very altered. I have lost sensation underneath. Lost all internal visceral sensation. No feeling of ever feeling full regardless of how much I eat, no bowel sensations. Side of mouth is sort of numb as are teeth which also feel horribly tight. Can’t bear to hold bfs hand as feels unreal

I have the feeling of there being something g inside my spine like there is a tight tree growing up through it from coccyx to top of neck.

What does the feeling in your spine feel like?

Have skin sensation but it is very altered. I have lost sensation underneath. Lost all internal visceral sensation. No feeling of ever feeling full regardless of how much I eat, no bowel sensations. Side of mouth is sort of numb as are teeth which also feel horribly tight. Can’t bear to hold bfs hand as feels unreal

I have the feeling of there being something g inside my spine like there is a tight tree growing up through it from coccyx to top of neck.

What does the feeling in your spine feel like?

That’s a great description of what it feels like. I can totally visualize it. That crazy pulling/tightness running down from the back of my head all the way to my coccyx. When I’m in a wave it seems like I’m much more aware of this feeling as well. Such an odd sensation.

Easy, is your so tight you can’t sit but lying down is agony like back is rigid and won’t let go at all.

Do you also have horrible jaw tightness that makes your teeth feel too big, tight, numb?

Easy,

Thank you, I’m hoping the feeling comes back soon!  It is odd to have a numb body, to not feel my bed.  Sxs are horrid!!

Ajusta,

The tree growing up my spine feeling has stopped and left a tree “trunk”  in my spine :(

I rarely feel hunger ...  which is normal for me.  I try to eat or snack often. 

I’m sorry you two are going through this.  May we ALL heal quickly.

Easy, is your so tight you can’t sit but lying down is agony like back is rigid and won’t let go at all.

Do you also have horrible jaw tightness that makes your teeth feel too big, tight, numb?

Luckily, it has gotten drastically better for me over the last couple month’s. I still have some daily tightness, but most of the time it is just in the background & not too bothersome. Although I still don’t like to lay flat or fall asleep on my back. I feel like this causes the tightness to move into my chest. I also am more prone to experience sleep paralysis or have night terrors if I fall asleep laying flat on my back. I couldn’t lay on my left side for months tho bc it would go completely numb within 5 min of laying down. Felt like the entire left side of my body would fall asleep & I’d get a really uncomfortable prickling & tingling all throughout my extremities. I also read that laying on ur right side helps activate ur vagus nerve which is essential to reducing widespread inflammation. The jaw numbness & pain has subsided quite a bit. For month’s my jaw & neck would b completely numb even all the way up & around my ear & temple. The numbness would then become this deep & agonizing pain. It got so bad I went to the dentist to see what was going on bc it would actually prevent me from getting any possible sleep. A LOT of this has subsided. I’m lucky enough to b able to exercise daily & continue to bc I really think this is helping to speed up this process. I hope that it’ll fade away soon for u, I know how horrible this can b.

Easy,

Thank you, I’m hoping the feeling comes back soon!  It is odd to have a numb body, to not feel my bed.  Sxs are horrid!!

Ajusta,

The tree growing up my spine feeling has stopped and left a tree “trunk”  in my spine :(

No problem. This too shall pass. You will heal, just a slow process but our brains & bodies r built to heal. Just keep letting it do it’s thing. All the best in healing.

Easy,

Ajusta,

Yes, tree trunk is right as dose wears off. Lying on sofa with knees up on cushions and back just won’t let go at all. Feels like hovering rigid above the sofa and buttocks and sacrum are stuck as well and won’t let go. Neck rigid on cushions. Back of head like it is full of a bag of rocks.

Ajusta,

3+ months since jump and the tree is much smaller.  I was concerned it was permanent!  It was not!

Hope you are better soon!

SS

Ajusta,

3+ months since jump and the tree is much smaller.  I was concerned it was permanent!  It was not!

Hope you are better soon!

SS

Thank you!

First WD it was all still getting worse for me at 4 mnths out but I developed very severe dystonia.

Are you getting any feeling of stretch back?

My legs are like tree trunks as well and they just won’t stretch and I can’t feel any sensation of stretch in my body even when stretching but I also have altered sensation to pressure as well. There is no give in anything.

Did you have any back problems before WD?

Adjusta,

I did not have back problems.  I had pain from Fibromyalgia (which I now question).  I can stretch more freely now.  My legs get heavy (for a short few hours a day).  They were so heavy months 1 & 2  that I could barely walk (so a huge improvement). 

Hopefully, with a small bit of time you are going to better.  I believe we are healing just not as quick as we would prefer.

SS :smitten:

Hard to tell for me because of pre-existing stuff I was on it for.

Did your legs ever go too ‘bouncy’ - very bad spasticity?

Adjusta,

My legs have been bouncy and a whole list of things I would not have thought possible.  Mine are WD related I believe.

I’m so sorry about your pre-existing things.  I’m sure they make WD more difficult.

May you have faster healing.

SS

Thanks!

Just wondering if the bouncyness is related to previous spinal surgery or is WD. Did it feel like you couldn’t control them? My bodily sensations get transposed on to visual perception of world so if a I am bouncy ppl look too bouncy etc. Terrifying!

Adjusta,

I didn’t have any preexisting illnesses that would have caused the bouncy feeling or the “perception” oddness I have going through WD.  So I’m hoping it’s a temporary WD symptom??  My body is doing so many weird things in WD.

SS

SaraSue,

I think it is akesthesia you are talking about. Bouncy legs, feel like you cannot sit still, feel like you have to move or pace.

Ajusta, are you doing any better now?

east

East,

Thanks for putting a name to bouncy legs!  I’m learning so many new terms. As you’ve often said, we are healing and our bodies are doing odd and weird things in BWD.  Hoping this passes soon.

SS :smitten:

Sara, it was a learning experience for me too. This nurse thought she knew it all and it turned out I didn't know squat when it came to benzos and ADs.

We can learn and grow from this stuff. One just has to keep an open mind.

• 1 month later...
Hi SaraSue & Congratulations on quitting Benzo's!  Hardest thing I ever did, I'm 8 1/2 months Benzo Free after 7 years & Antidepressant Free after 11 years and I feel great, everyday I get better! I have some setbacks but overall it's improvement everyday- Hang in there, it's not uncommon for healing to not be linear, there will be days where you feel you took I step forward & two back, but keep going, it only gets better! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me Take Care, Laydefish

Thank you, Laydefish!

Congratulations ... a great accomplishment!  I will contact you.

BTW did you have full body numbness?

SaraSue  :smitten: