Dysautonomia - Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction

[to...]

Interesting article ~ sound familiar?  Lots of good info regarding potential "coping skills" that might

apply to our situation.  Never heard this condition called "Dysautonomia". Guess whats in vogue now is what the Mayo Clinic calls it ..... "Allied Central Sensitization Syndrome" .

Dysautonomia - Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction

https://www.holistichelp.net/dysautonomia-autonomic-nervous-system-dysfunction.html

....Dysautonomia, also known as autonomic nervous system dysfunction or disorder, is a blanket label applied to a variety of conditions that develop, at least in part, because of malfunction or faulty regulation in the involuntary nervous system. Generally speaking, there is typically an excess of activity in the sympathetic nervous system and underactivity of the parasympathetic nervous system. It can be the other way around, but most people are suffering from the former.

....When we are under stress, the fight or flight system is activated and the sympathetic nervous system is in control; digestion is shut down, metabolism, immune function, and the detoxification system is impaired, blood pressure and heart rate are increased, circulation is impaired, sleep is disrupted, memory and cognitive function may be impaired, neurotransmitters are drained, our sense of smell, taste, and sound are amplified, high levels of norepinephrine are released in the brain and the adrenal glands release a variety of hormones like adrenaline and cortisol. In a state of chronic stress, the body remains in this condition continually.

.Avoid Psychotropics

Alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, meth, benzodiazepines, SSRIs, Adderal or any other mind-altering substance all deplete neurotransmitters in the brain, and thus they will not be available to keep the autonomic nervous system in balance and perform there other critical jobs of moderating mood, behavior and thought. Although psychotropics will initially relieve your stress, it is because they mimic your natural neurotransmitters, but as soon as the substance leaves the system you return to an even more stressed out state than you were before because you now have fewer neurotransmitters. When neurotransmitters are mimicked by artificial substances, then the brain reduces production of the natural neurotransmitter and then one becomes dependent on the mind-altering substance to fill in for the depleted neurotransmitter. This is called addiction. (Note: in the case of benzos, its called dependence)  This is also true of nicotine, caffeine and chocolate.

Lots of these so-called "health coaches/counselors" out there waiting to pounce on vulnerable people.  I'd be very weary of anyone who is bold enough to claim they have "expertise" in everything from "neurotransmitter imbalances or deficiencies" (like, seriously?!) to "brain health" (?!!) to nervous system disorders, to autism, tourettes, IBS, CFS, ADD ... to name just a small sampling of her most impressive credentials.

In short, anyone who is arrogant enough to make these fantastic claims and charge through the roof to consult with her, is not someone whose articles I'd place any value on.

Just my two cents.

(This thread should also probably be moved to some other area of BB, rather than the News section, and the commercial link deactivated.  My third cent).

Thank you for this!!! I found it very interesting and informative. I suffer from dysautonomia, and it affects my blood pressure badly. It is improving but very, very slowly. I used to have very bad adrenaline issues and didn't know why.

I've researched other areas of the Internet and also found the information, so I know it's out there. Try telling that to a doctor, though. I wonder what they'd say. Would they believe it?

Wasn't too concerned about the "commercial" aspect of the website.... just the information concerning

Dysautonomia which I thought was rather complete.....a lot of which dovetails with what we are experiencing in the benzo experience. The description of Dysautonomia fits our situation to a T. Of course we know our situation is caused by a chemical damage to the brain and "life coaching" isn't going to fix that. Most of the content address an explanation of Dysautonomia and coping suggestions for which most of us are already familiar. Just interesting that there is a condition that parallels what we are experiencing and that has an actual name for it (Dysautonomia) and has causes other that prescriptions medications. This is a better description than what the "professioanals" have ever given me. Just thought the parallel to a conditon that is given a clinical name to what we are esperiencing might give us some insight into our situation with benzos.