Fear of being alone - any tips?

[Th...]

Hi Sue and Optimist

It looks as though you really work hard at making the best of each day, bless you.

In my own fear I do try to push the boundaries and it can come back at bite me on the bottom.

Today I want to hide away (I have reinstated and feel really sick so I understand Optimists fear of SSRI!)

I have managed to fill the bird feeders and fed the dog, and that will be it I think.

We crave to be well, and fulfilled—will it happen?

Well we aren’t giving up.

I know why I am in a tiz (messing with meds) so hope n pray for resolution. And my supportive daughter is off on well deserved break and I will miss her optimism.

Do we hate / reject meds too much?  I just dunno. Mary always talks sense as many do here.

I hope you both feel less phobic soon and chin up.

Dickie

Hi there forty,did you find an SSRI helped you? I am pretty sick so I just don't think I can handle anymore medication that upsets my stomach.

Optimist

I have no doubt SSRIS saved my life. I know it’s a love hate relationship but

In 1996/7 I had been in hospital for two admissions with probably Post Lyme disease depression

I lost my job as I could not leave the house and my wife had cancer and I couldn’t take her to chemo.

A change of psych put me on paroxetine 20 for ten years and oxazepam 10mg TDS. (short course)

I got back to work and looked after my wife til she passed in 2013.

Any SSRI needs benzo cover and lots of reassurance after starting a low dose. ( my experience)

Best wishes,  I am told citalopram is more anxiolytic but the first 3-5 days cause anxiety.

Dick

I’m happy to see you post.  I’m still walking twice a day, no further yet, but getting out.  I’m so sorry you are still struggling.  I believe each wd symptom to be a sign of healing for us.  I have 40+ sxs daily so I’m healing 40+ areas ... this month. 

Maybe you can get out more in your new and better weather.

SaraSueb :smitten:

SaraSue, I love that post and it is a great way to think.  It's hard for all to see anything positive in this, but that is a very positive position to take  :D. Thank you, Mary ♥️

@[th...]

I’ve been off for about 3.5 months now. I know it’s hard. Sending you my thoughts and good vibes! We are healing... slowly but surely.  :smitten:

Hi Optimist!  I hope you are having an easier time.  Honking of you.

Hi Mary, thank you.  If I didn’t believe the torture days weren’t healing, I couldn’t do this.  I know I am better each day.

SaraSue  :smitten:

Hi Optimist!  I hope you are having an easier time.  Honking of you.

Hi Mary, thank you.  If I didn’t believe the torture days weren’t healing, I couldn’t do this.  I know I am better each day.

That was supposed to say “thinking” of you!!!

@the optimist, I live alone and am a single mom to a 14 year old son. There are many days when being alone has been complete torture. Some things have helped me when I can’t leave the house are listening to podcasts (uplifting ones like TED talks) I’m listening to audio books, currently the Happiness Advantage (which is great, talks about the power of a positive mind). Yoga is a life saver for me and if I don’t feel up for exercise, I put relaxing music on, light candles, and do some light stretching. Bubble baths with Epsom salts helps me relax. Some days I’ll take out the cook books and try a new recipe. Gardening has also been extremely therapeutic. Funny movies also help if I feel like I just can’t get out of bed. If I’m having extreme anxiety (which is often) I channel it into cleaning and clean like a mad woman and there’s something so gratifying about a sparkling clean house.

I’ve been off for about 3.5 months now. I know it’s hard. Sending you my thoughts and good vibes! We are healing... slowly but surely.  :smitten:

You mean yoga isn't exercise  ;):laugh: :laugh:

@the optimist, I live alone and am a single mom to a 14 year old son. There are many days when being alone has been complete torture. Some things have helped me when I can’t leave the house are listening to podcasts (uplifting ones like TED talks) I’m listening to audio books, currently the Happiness Advantage (which is great, talks about the power of a positive mind). Yoga is a life saver for me and if I don’t feel up for exercise, I put relaxing music on, light candles, and do some light stretching. Bubble baths with Epsom salts helps me relax. Some days I’ll take out the cook books and try a new recipe. Gardening has also been extremely therapeutic. Funny movies also help if I feel like I just can’t get out of bed. If I’m having extreme anxiety (which is often) I channel it into cleaning and clean like a mad woman and there’s something so gratifying about a sparkling clean house.

Aww thanks for the advice Ever, I am trying to garden. I love the cooking idea, I have only been doing what I need to lately. Does your anxiety prevent you from getting out? It must be challenging for you on your own, do you have support?

I have two daughters and this has just been torture. They want to get out and see friends and I don't even want to talk to other people as I am so anxious. I have my husband but he is gone a lot. I just don't understand how after 6 months my symptoms have worsened. I hope things get better.

Optimist

I have no doubt SSRIS saved my life. I know it’s a love hate relationship but

In 1996/7 I had been in hospital for two admissions with probably Post Lyme disease depression

I lost my job as I could not leave the house and my wife had cancer and I couldn’t take her to chemo.

A change of psych put me on paroxetine 20 for ten years and oxazepam 10mg TDS. (short course)

I got back to work and looked after my wife til she passed in 2013.

Any SSRI needs benzo cover and lots of reassurance after starting a low dose. ( my experience)

Best wishes,  I am told citalopram is more anxiolytic but the first 3-5 days cause anxiety.

Dick

Hi Forty, I tried Citalopram and I could not stand the anxiety it gave me. After 3 days I couldn't take it anymore. Does anxiolytic mean cause anxiety or help anxiety?

My doctor won't give me benzos anymore, mydoctor says SSRIS don't give anxiety and its all in my head so not sure what to do?

Hi Optimist,

I don’t have any advice. Sorry.  Just want to say that month 6 has been brutal for me and I believe that better months are ahead for us!

Aww thanks for the advice Ever, I am trying to garden. I love the cooking idea, I have only been doing what I need to lately. Does your anxiety prevent you from getting out? It must be challenging for you on your own, do you have support?

I have two daughters and this has just been torture. They want to get out and see friends and I don't even want to talk to other people as I am so anxious. I have my husband but he is gone a lot. I just don't understand how after 6 months my symptoms have worsened. I hope things get better.

Hi Optimist, yes the anxiety left me house bound for MONTHS. I was extremely agoraphobic and there definitely days where (sad and shamed to say) I couldn’t even get out of bed to shower. This was not and is not indicative of my normal behavior at all. For me personally, I feel like I suffered worse through my 8 month taper compared to acute WD. I was barely functioning. Now I feel as though my anxiety has shifted and I feel like I want to be around people and out of the house and can’t stand to be alone. Living alone feels so damn hard right now, and I’ve lived alone with my son for 14 years and it never bothered me before. I think these ups and downs and morphing of symptoms is all part of the healing process and I believe all of our brains are unique and will heal in their own ways and in their own time. I’m just so glad to have that poison out of my body. I went and stayed with my brother and cousin for a few days and with my mom, it really has helped to have family support around. It’s such a blessing to have time off work right now so I can focus on my healing. I do notice that I feel better when I find things to do, even if I feel I can’t leave the house, I try and find things to do. I’ve started baking (which is new for me) and for some reason I’ve found cleaning very therapeutic right now. I’ve just started blaring music, rearranging furniture and cleaning out my closets. I’m trying to channel my anxiety into action and trying to exhaust my body and distract my mind. I know it’s hard and some days are definitely worse than others but when my symptoms morph or change I just try and tell myself it’s a sign that I’m healing, my brain is doing what it needs to do to heal. Hang in there Optimist, we can do this!!!