Author Topic: Fear of being alone - any tips?  (Read 1289 times)

[Buddie]

Fear of being alone - any tips?
« on: April 02, 2019, 05:00:15 pm »
Hi there,

Does anyone have tips on being more comfortable being alone? I am suffering with panic attacks and hate being alone when they hit. In fact just thinking about panic and nobody being there if it hits sets me off.

Yesterday I tried distracting myself with housework, watching tv, and it just wan't working. I would pace, back and forth - and I felt like a mad person!

4 months off and struggling - though I haven't lost [...]  :smitten:
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Fear of being alone - any tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 05:48:59 pm »
Have you tried walking or just being outside more? Gardening? Coffee shops, busy places, church, volunteering? Anything outside your home basically as a start.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 05:49:41 pm »
Hi [...],

When distracting fails me, I have my husband take me for a long drive or walk. The drive soothes some symptoms for me.  I canít distract all the time.

Hold on to your [...], I have [...] too! 

We will get through this!

SS :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 05:55:13 pm »
I have also had a very hard time being alone at my house. I basically developed monophobia because of this. I don't know if it's any better now though, as I haven't tested myself in a long time. Like Sara, my wife and I go on long drives and walks with our daughter. I find, the more I'm out of the house, the better I feel.

It's hard going from being comfortable in your house to being uncomfortable. I used to love time alone at home. I [...] this returns for us.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 06:09:39 pm »
Have you tried walking or just being outside more? Gardening? Coffee shops, busy places, church, volunteering? Anything outside your home basically as a start.

Believe me, I would love to do that, but I suffer from agoraphobia as well. I can do those things with my husband or a trusted relative. But thats it. Unfortunately everyone works. If I could do those things, I would probably be working too.

I am walking on my own a short way, but haven't been able to get further yet - sigh.

I really feel stuck. I am at home, because I had so many panic attacks at work, but now at home I have them here too. I [...] its a phase and it goes away.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 06:12:09 pm »
Hi [...],

When distracting fails me, I have my husband take me for a long drive or walk. The drive soothes some symptoms for me.  I canít distract all the time.

Hold on to your [...], I have [...] too! 

We will get through this!

Oh thank you so much for responding [...] :) My husband works all day so I am on my own :/ I am finding it so difficult. I do try to get out when I can though. Do you work?

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 06:15:44 pm »
I have also had a very hard time being alone at my house. I basically developed monophobia because of this. I don't know if it's any better now though, as I haven't tested myself in a long time. Like Sara, my wife and I go on long drives and walks with our daughter. I find, the more I'm out of the house, the better I feel.

It's hard going from being comfortable in your house to being uncomfortable. I used to love time alone at home. I [...] this returns for us.

Oh I know! I do feel better out, which is funny as I have agoraphobia as well. But I need someone with me. I have kids as well :)

I [...] we get better too - its so damned difficult!

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 06:55:39 pm »
[...],

I do have to wait for my husband to get home from work (he takes off early when I NEED to get out).  I donít walk without him, as I am usually in the ĎFloaty Boatí mode and concerned I will fall.  We walk each evening to keep my muscles going. 

Do you have a yard you could garden (plant container garden)?  Getting outside helps me tolerate sxs some days.

May tomorrow be better, healing canít come soon enough!

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 07:00:44 pm »
I would be in huge trouble if I had to work ... my brain and body are not functioning well enough to work :(

I know this level of functioning is temporary and look forward to my pre-jump brain and body returning!

Can you take your kids in a wagon?  Iím admire you being able to raise your kids while going through this horrible time.

We will get through this!  SS :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 01:55:54 pm »
I would be in huge trouble if I had to work ... my brain and body are not functioning well enough to work :(

I know this level of functioning is temporary and look forward to my pre-jump brain and body returning!

Can you take your kids in a wagon?  Iím admire you being able to raise your kids while going through this horrible time.

We will get through this!  SS :smitten:

Did you CT? I am ok physically, I just feel like a frightened child.

Re: gardening, its funny you say that because I looove gardening. I have two containers of tulips on my deck. I forgot to plant these in the fall so I am getting them to grow roots in the pots as the ground is still frozen. Its still cold here. It is about zero degrees Celsius (freezing mark). I can't wait until it gets warmer here. Last year we had our pool open a month from now!!

My kids are older now, age 12 and 9, much too old for a wagon LOL. Though when this mess started they were little and I took them out. Since withdrawing I have become much more frightened. Its very bizarre. I don't know if this is the new "me" or if it's withdrawal.

I sincerely [...] that its withdrawal!

Are you outside much during the day? I would spend almost the whole day out if it was warmer!! Its been so cold that no spring bulbs have popped up and everything is grey.