How much alcohol do benzotitratirs allow themselves.

[Fo...]

I’ve been looking at whether a unit of red wine is affecting my withdrawal.

I have learnt that it acts on Gaba A hence augments diazepam. But I didnt know it lifts dopamine and serotonin as well which means it’s increasing the effect of mirtazipine.

I never abuse alcohol as I hate being out of control. I never drink n drive.

Do other tapering folk have tipple with their omega laden haddock and chips. .?

Thanks

Dick

Hi: I can tell you are English, can you please translate what do you meant with 'omega lade haddock and chips' :)

All the things that I tried during my taper and even post jump, alcohol has been the worst. It has given me bad setbacks, so I don't recommend it during taper. Even at post jump one should be mindful about alcohol. I believe this is a substance that affects the same receptors as benzos so basically you are switching one drug for another

I can drink again 3 years off clonazepam but not too much. Like 1 glass of whiskey or 2 beers.

My problem is that alcohol causes insomnia and my sleep is already not that great. Alcohol lowers melatonin thus leading to less deep sleep and in some people like me to insomnia.

When i drink i wake up at 3 - 4am and can't fall back asleep.

• 1 month later...

Dick,

we love our local Irish pub - but they serve us omega laden cod an' chips  :)

to the point, i every so often have 2 or 3 sips of hard cider but it always messes up my sleep that night.  it's not good, i know it's not good and .. i don't recommend it to anyone.  I know there is no way i could have a glass of anything, it would mess me up bad.  :-[  my personal opinion is, it's just too dangerous to do.

I’ve been looking at whether a unit of red wine is affecting my withdrawal.

I have learnt that it acts on Gaba A hence augments diazepam. But I didnt know it lifts dopamine and serotonin as well which means it’s increasing the effect of mirtazipine.

I never abuse alcohol as I hate being out of control. I never drink n drive.

Do other tapering folk have tipple with their omega laden haddock and chips. .?

Thanks

Dick

I’ve spoken with other buddies that have been completely healed for over 6 months & went back to drinking. At first it didn’t have that drastic of an affect but shortly after it basically set them back & three them back into an acute like state. I don’t plan on consuming any alcohol until I’ve been AT LEAST 8-12 month’s 100% sx free. It’s just not worth it to me. Never been that big of a drinker so it really isn’t that much of an issue. Just doesn’t seem like the reward outweighs the risk IMO.

I had a glass of red wine with dinner a few hours ago and I feel fine. It was enjoyable. I do not feel any better or worse.

Professor Ashton says>>>Similarly with alcohol: a glass or two of wine is perfectly permissible (and even said by some to be advisable for health). Although it is important not to substitute increasing doses of alcohol for decreasing doses of benzodiazepines, there is no need to deny oneself small pleasures. Moderation is the key: there is no call to be puritanical.

I also had a glass of red wine for Mother's Day and it was delicious. I forgot how much I missed it. I had stopped for my post withdrawal; but now I think I will have it every once in a while. I am 15 months of my jump and I am still going through some waves and great windows; so I believe is safe to have the wine; however, listen to your body and moderation is key.

I also had a glass of red wine for Mother's Day and it was delicious. I forgot how much I missed it. I had stopped for my post withdrawal; but now I think I will have it every once in a while. I am 15 months of my jump and I am still going through some waves and great windows; so I believe is safe to have the wine; however, listen to your body and moderation is key.

I agree Solyluna! I do not drink often either but it is good to know that can can enjoy a drink every once in awhile if you want to.

I think that something that in moderation that gives us a modicum of pleasure during withdrawal is no bad thing.

Dickie

I do think it is different for everyone.

When I was feeling horrible on a too fast taper there were two times that I had a couple of beers. I felt really good in the moment and fell asleep when my insomnia had been dreadful. But, I paid the morning after both times. My s/e were back but much worse.

It really could have been a coincidence, but I've not had any more alcohol other than the few drops for titration. It just wasn't worth feeling so bad the next day if that was the reason.

After the taper is over and I've had time to heal, I'm sure I'll have a couple of beers, wine etc. now and again. I enjoy spirits, but I don't feel a big urge for them. It's just nice on occasion to relax and have some.

My sentiments exactly Lily. I will wait until I have been off awhile. I don't really think about alcohol that much. Dealing with all these painful, bizarre sx's is about all I can really handle ATM. :-)