Depression link

[bl...]

I’m well aware of that people on this form do not like doctors and psychiatrists. I beg to differ there are some good doctors and psychiatrists” heather Ashton  was one”that will help you. Below is a link from doctor in New York who offer some advice on how to get out of the depression and it’s not using  psychiatric drugs. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have posted about this guy before.

I think he has some very good points however any UK physician would worry about the effects of over treating with thyroid ( atrial fibrillation, osteoporosis etc) or Lithium ( renal impairment and queers up thyroid utilisation. 

TMS is 600 quid a pop x about 6 and not Nhs funded.

But I guess he means well. And we must pick up on any positive things out there.

Prevention is better than cure and we have children growing up in dysfunctional, tragic or poor households with threefold increase in later depression—even higher than child sex abuse causes.

Thanks for the link though

Best wishes

Dick

I think he has some very good points however any UK physician would worry about the effects of over treating with thyroid ( atrial fibrillation, osteoporosis etc) or Lithium ( renal impairment and queers up thyroid utilisation. 

But I guess he means well. And we must pick up on any positive things out there.

Prevention is better than cure and we have children growing up in dysfunctional, tragic or poor households with threefold increase in later depression—even higher than child sex abuse causes.

Best wishes

Dick

Haha.....a GP never worries about over treating any one with anything. What a joke.

And where did you pull these "threefold in later depression" numbers from out of curiosity?

Psvt

My prescribing levels were on the whole very low in fact. Well below the national average. I preferred talking treatment, hypnosis and support. I saw troubled patients gratis in the evenings.

I also ran a detoxic clinic in my spare time.

The oath we took was to do no harm.  I would add to that a saying my mother had.-)))

“Never say or do anything to make yourself feel better that might someone else feel worse.

“Re psychiatric issues from childhood trauma — Three references below. Sorry I don’t know how to insert a link and it’s 4 am here.

Good references

John Read at "Pharmaceuticals – Risks and Alternatives," 15th of October, 2016.Robert Whittaker US Journalist. Several Y tube videos on Risks of pharmaceuticals.

“The adverse childhood research study” Dr Vince Fillitte

Best wishes

Dick

I didn’t get the impression his discussion could be seen as over treatment for depression.  His target population is a little different than a GP’s.  I thought it was more measured than most other psychs but I only have experience with US psychs and a lot of them seem to have a tendency to over treat.  He didn’t discuss possible side effects if I recall.  Was the information otherwise inaccurate do you think?  I don’t know anything about TMS so that part went by me.