Has anyone tried Magnesium?

[Sp...]

I have an extensive post on CBD Oil for sleep, I am going through a stressful period and used Melatonin for sleep but it gave me severe digestive issues after using it for a week, wondered if Magnesium might help....anyone try it?

Some people occasionally will find it somewhat relaxing but rarely those in wd. Magnesium also has significant digestive issues. Always gives me diarrhea. I tried ionized mag for a while because it's supposed to be less upsetting to your system but it tastes so disgusting that the revulsion would wake me up. My perspective is that there are periods you just have to ride out. Exercise, eat well, avoid sugar (especially late in the day), avoid caffeine, and find some relaxation strategy (mediation, guided imagery, whatever) then learn to reframe not sleeping so it's not a disaster. It's unpleasant but it's survivable and it will pass.

Hello: That is unusual that Melatonin caused you digestive issues. I took Melatonin for three years with no issues; however, my doc suggested I switched to a lower dose from 3mg to 1mg. In fact during tapering and post jump, I developed GI issues all related to benzo belly; and in fact the Melatonin helped with the heartburn. Gaba downregulation affected my GI to the point that I had to be careful to take even magnesium because sometimes it would rev me up and others didn't. My doc prescribed Magnesium Lactate from Standard Process, but I found out it would exarcerbate the heartburn. Since I developed a bad case of IBS-C I decided to switch to a brand of magnesium called MagOX 400mg to see if it would help with the constipation,and fortunately it does. I just have to take one at night; if I take more than two pills I can develop lose stools which means you have taken too much. This is a side effect of taking too much magnesium. Magnesium is also relaxing for the most part. I sometimes on stressful days use Magnesium flakes in a hot bath with essential oils and drink a cup of chamomile tea. All of these do have some effect on the gaba receptors but I don't believe they damage them to the extent that benzos do. You have been off benzos for a long time so I wouldn't worry too much about taking magnesium. Melatonin should help, but everyone reacts different to different supplements. What was your dosage? MTfan is right in saying that you have the option to ride it out, but I understand that we get to a point that the stress is just too overwhelming. You considering doing some testing like cortisol levels, melatonin levels, estradiol levels or even neurotrasnmitters to find out what you may be deficient. For the most part in my case I am low in dopamine which can cause sleep disturbanes and high in cortisol so knowing that helped me to figure out what supplements  may help; otherwise one can end up peeing some expensive urine. Sleep hygiene is something that I realize I have to do for the rest of my life especially during very stressful times. I am very careful with coffee and stopped the alcohol and is helping. 

Good luck

Hello: I forgot to post on my previous reply an article about Dr. Carolyn Dean the author of "The Miracle of Magnesium"; here it is:

http://www.calmnatural.com/miraclemagnesium

I would like to clarify that I am no advocating the use of it. Clearly in Dr. Ashton recommends not to take any supplements (unless one is deficient), especially the ones that affect the gaba receptors during tapering. Dr. Dean states the amazing benefits of magnesium; however, one needs to get educated a bit because the type and ratio of taking is important. I am 15 months post jump and I have found it does help me and I haven't notice any adverse effect. I take it for periods at the time. Everyone reacts different to different things. Just be mindful!

I drink dissolved Mg every day.  It takes a little experimentation to find the amount you can tolerate without the digestive issues.  You will have looseness when you are taking too much.  I just drink 1/4 teaspoon of magnesium citrate dissolved in 8 oz of water per day.  Sipping throughout the day, or a small gulp every 3-5 hours.  It keeps my PVCs under control and my anxiety also.