Short Term user here 2 months out

[Ho...]

Hey, I was a short term user of Ativan, attempted a CT then tapered for 7.5 months.  My GP gave me absolutely no hint of what Benzos could do or any mention of a need to taper.  He basically gave me the impression that they were relatively harmless....saying "just don't eat them like Pez, they can make you drowsy." I didn't like they way they made me feel and they really didn't help much so after about 2 weeks of use I decided to stop taking them.  That turned out to be a mistake.

CT definitely was not something that I could have done, I would have wound up in the hospital and probably be given more Benzos and instructions to taper off them over the course of a few weeks.  Dry cutting did not work well for me either as it lead to near CT level symptoms.  I decided to give DLMT a try and it proved to be the way to go.  I was pretty much at 95% of my former self when tapering after starting DLMT.  I practically forgot that I was tapering.  I think quitting caffeine helped a great deal as well.  I exercised rigorously during taper and feel that and eating right also helped enormously.

There are many horrific accounts on this site and I think I did myself a disservice when first coming here by reading them.  I feel sorry for the people that are going through painful withdrawals and hope that they are all able to recover quickly.  However, I would advise those just coming to the site to stick to what pertains to you, don't venture into the boards that don't fit into your situation.  I was convinced that my taper was going to be painful and I was going to be plagued with issues post taper, neither has been the case.  Your taper is your taper, not someone else's, just because someone else has had a rough time does not mean you will as well. 

I jumped around .02 mg of Ativan.  The first couple of weeks I had some increased and anxiety and some sleeping issues, both relatively mild though.  I had convinced myself that something bad was going to happen, but it hasn't yet and I have pretty much shut the door on that prospect.

Everything appears to be pretty much back to normal.  I actually think that I feel a bit better than pre-benzo given the good habits that I have picked up.  Best of luck to everyone and remember that sometimes healing happens much faster than you think.

I’m so happy you have been spared the long agony that many of us have to endure. 3 weeks use of adivan destroyed me. Got cold turkeyd by my clueless doctor and suffered in agony for months. Stupidity lead me back to reinstate and I tapered for approx 3 months

here I am 32 months later and still in the shit show of many symptoms. Yes you are correct that everyone’s experience is different.

You now go live a long happy life and never touch another benzo again. 👍🏻

Horizon, awesome to see your success story here!! :) It’s encouraging to hear from folks who DON’T experience horrendous withdrawals!! Best wishes to you.

Congratulations, Horizon!  Thank you for coming back and taking the time to tell your story.  It's reassuring to hear you're doing well on the other side.  I also appreciate your caution that we needn't borrow trouble from the horror stories.  I needed to hear that message again.

I'm doing a direct taper from Ativan, as you did, and also haven't had horrible sxs doing an sxs based DLMT.  And, like you, I eat healthy, exercise and have eliminated caffeine.  Additionally, I don't drink alcohol, drink plenty of water, don't smoke, eliminated sugar & processed carbs, don't bother supplementing and use cognitive behavioral therapy to improve my sleep.

I do what's in my power today to mitigate against sxs once I jump.  It's not in my best interest to freak myself out.  I just do what I can and hope for the best.  So far, so good.

Thanks again for sharing your story, Horizon.  May your path continue smoothly and your life be fulfilling, free from the scourge of benzos!  :thumbsup:

xo,

sierra  :smitten:

I’m so happy you have been spared the long agony that many of us have to endure. 3 weeks use of adivan destroyed me. Got cold turkeyd by my clueless doctor and suffered in agony for months. Stupidity lead me back to reinstate and I tapered for approx 3 months

here I am 32 months later and still in the shit show of many symptoms. Yes you are correct that everyone’s experience is different.

I am sorry that you are still suffering at 32 months.  My doctor was absolutely clueless as to what this poison can do to a person and if I would have listened to him I would have wound up in a very bad place.  He made it seem as though the worst thing that could happen would be some drowsiness as he was prescribing them.  After returning twice to his office with my bp in the 151/110 range and breaking down crying (I haven't cried in front of anyone in about 30 years) he kind mentioned that "some people have a tough time".  >:(  Some informed consent would have been nice.  It would have been nice to know that he was handing me a loaded revolver and not "Pez".  I have made sure that every medical record that I know of states that I have Benzo allergy or that I experience extreme paradoxical reactions to them.  I didn't trust doctors much before, I do not trust them at all now, they all seem to be either oblivious or conspiring members of the Pharma sales force.

I hope that everything starts to take a turn for you soon for the better.  Are you able to exercise?  I found that even walking helped me when I experienced symptoms. 

Horizon, awesome to see your success story here!! :) It’s encouraging to hear from folks who DON’T experience horrendous withdrawals!! Best wishes to you.

Thank you, how are you doing now?

Congratulations, Horizon!  Thank you for coming back and taking the time to tell your story.  It's reassuring to hear you're doing well on the other side.  I also appreciate your caution that we needn't borrow trouble from the horror stories.  I needed to hear that message again.

I'm doing a direct taper from Ativan, as you did, and also haven't had horrible sxs doing an sxs based DLMT.  And, like you, I eat healthy, exercise and have eliminated caffeine.  Additionally, I don't drink alcohol, drink plenty of water, don't smoke, eliminated sugar & processed carbs, don't bother supplementing and use cognitive behavioral therapy to improve my sleep.

I do what's in my power today to mitigate against sxs once I jump.  It's not in my best interest to freak myself out.  I just do what I can and hope for the best.  So far, so good.

Thanks again for sharing your story, Horizon.  May your path continue smoothly and your life be fulfilling, free from the scourge of benzos!  :thumbsup:

xo,

sierra  :smitten:

It sounds like you are doing great things to ensure your taper and post taper go well.  When I was tapering I would take a gallon jug to our water fountain at work, fill it up and try to finish it over the course of the day.

You have to remember that millions of benzo scripts are written every year, and it appears that the vast majority of people that quit them do so without any noticeable negative effects.  It seems that those of us who are having symptoms were the "lucky" ones. So it seems that though we may have had the bad luck of having issues with getting off this crap, most of us will probably not face the rare prospect of being debilitated by them.  I have also seen that many have wound up in that situation have had complicating factors, such as poly drugging, multiple CTs, neurological disorders, and even head trauma.

Happy for you, HorizonZD. Like you, I also broke down in my doctor’s office with high BP after a very short duration of Klonopin and foolishly listened to my doctor’s advice to cut again even though I was dealing with symptoms after my first reduction. I show up in agony after quitting and her and the attending med student were dismissive I got dependent this fast. I go visit another doctor and she just thought I was depressed and wanted to script ADs.

I don’t understand how these drugs are legal. I trusted doctors, too.

Anyway, glad you made it to the other side. Enjoy life man.

I am sorry that you are still suffering at 32 months.  My doctor was absolutely clueless as to what this poison can do to a person and if I would have listened to him I would have wound up in a very bad place.  He made it seem as though the worst thing that could happen would be some drowsiness as he was prescribing them.  After returning twice to his office with my bp in the 151/110 range and breaking down crying (I haven't cried in front of anyone in about 30 years) he kind mentioned that "some people have a tough time".  >:(  Some informed consent would have been nice.  It would have been nice to know that he was handing me a loaded revolver and not "Pez".  I have made sure that every medical record that I know of states that I have Benzo allergy or that I experience extreme paradoxical reactions to them.  I didn't trust doctors much before, I do not trust them at all now, they all seem to be either oblivious or conspiring members of the Pharma sales force.

I hope that everything starts to take a turn for you soon for the better.  Are you able to exercise?  I found that even walking helped me when I experienced symptoms.

Yes I walk as much as my symptoms will allow. I’m exercise intolerant and if I push to hard then I’m back in hell. I’m doing better than several months ago but still going through the waves pretty bad. My clueless doctor was just wanted to keep prescribing more rather than get me off the poison. Enjoy your new life my friend.

Thanks RKO.  Yeah, I couldn't believe that I was sitting there in a doctors office crying uncontrollably....that is one of the last things that I ever thought I would do.  I have been reading and watching documentaries on the influence that big pharma has on the medical "industry".....eye opening stuff.  It seems that the practice of medicine's intersection with health and wellness is purely coincidental.

Yes I walk as much as my symptoms will allow. I’m exercise intolerant and if I push to hard then I’m back in hell. I’m doing better than several months ago but still going through the waves pretty bad. My clueless doctor was just wanted to keep prescribing more rather than get me off the poison. Enjoy your new life my friend.

Thank you, I'm sure things will continue in the right direction for you.

Congratulations Horizon on being free and never to go there again ! That's power right there ....

I look forward to the day when.....

And the medical system clearly has very little to do with healing. 

Good idea to have all your med  records say you are allergic ... We should all do that .

Happy living !

Miyu

Thanks Miyu,  One of the guys in the other boards told me that when he was in the hospital, specifically stating that he had a "paradoxical" reaction to Benzos shut them down.  Saying that you are sensitive or have had withdrawal issues triggers an argument but that there is a rare but known paradoxical reaction to Benzos that they don't mess around with.  Best of luck to you!

Thanks Horizon for this encouraging success story!  So glad for you!  You are absolutely right about not getting caught up in the fear factor.  Many, many people come off these beasts without going into protracted.  The vast majority!!!  Thank you for reminding us.

Much love and compassion to those who do not.  My heart is truly with you.

I'm roughly nine weeks out and am getting better right away.  Still healing to be done, but I am so happy to report that everything is heading clearly in the right and good direction.

(Hi Pete and Sierra!!!)  :smitten:

Horizon,

Congrats and sorry that you had to through this for such a short use.  I like how you said  "It seems that those of us who are having symptoms were the "lucky" ones".  A great way to look at this experience.

Thanks Horizon for this encouraging success story!  So glad for you!  You are absolutely right about not getting caught up in the fear factor.  Many, many people come off these beasts without going into protracted.  The vast majority!!!  Thank you for reminding us.

Much love and compassion to those who do not.  My heart is truly with you.

I'm roughly nine weeks out and am getting better right away.  Still healing to be done, but I am so happy to report that everything is heading clearly in the right and good direction.

(Hi Pete and Sierra!!!)  :smitten:

Thank you Welchie!  Great to hear that you are off and that everything is on the up and up!  :thumbsup:

Horizon,

Congrats and sorry that you had to through this for such a short use.  I like how you said  "It seems that those of us who are having symptoms were the "lucky" ones".  A great way to look at this experience.

Yeah, it wasn't fun but I continually remind myself of the fact that I was actually lucky in that I realized that this stuff was poison early on and was able to make it just a short term thing.  I hope you are doing well.  ;D

Your story is inspiring Horizon and you've helped a lot of people by telling it and coming back to share your journey. Very very stoked for you. I am so glad you caught the benzo beast early.

It gives me hope to hear stories like your's and Welchie's as I taper down from 1.8mg of V...I have really made it a point to avoid reading other things on the forum that will just scare the F out of me.

Having a positive attitude really is a game changer when getting off meds.

One day closer to being healed for ALL of us.

I am very happy that my story has helped and provided some positive perspective for others. 

A positive attitude and patience are vital to healing.  It is kind of hard to maintain those if you read some of the issues that people are having.  I hate to see people going through some of the hellish things described here. If you aren't having issues like they are however you have to stay away from them otherwise your mind starts to entertain all sorts of possibilities.

I am glad to see that you are finding your pace and moving on down.

@[Ho...]

Yes, your story is definitely inspiring and although I have a long ways to go, and a very long time of torture,  I think I am starting to come out on the other side (6 months post withdrawal now).  Thanks.

@Horizon,

Yes, your story is definitely inspiring and although I have a long ways to go, and a very long time of torture,  I think I am starting to come out on the other side (6 months post withdrawal now).  Thanks.

I'm glad that you are starting to come out on the other side....that's a good idea to cultivate and nurture with plenty of positive reinforcement.  When you tell yourself you are going to be fine and your mind tells you that you are lying, just answer back "I know, I'm giving you an instruction"