Would melatonin affect the recovery ?

[mi...]

Hello everyone! I am new at benzobuddies. I was on benzos for 4 years, mainly to help the quality of my sleep. Tapered during January 2019, benzo free since January 31. Most days I sleep OK, 6-7 hours with many interruptions. That's OK though, I never was able to sleep through the night in one piece.

My main problem is falling asleep. Once I am out I will somehow get those 6 or 7 hours (patience is the keyword).

So, having said that I have a question: would melatonin disrupt my recovery ? Would it be safe to use it at this point?

Thank you in advance for your advice and help !

Hello everyone! I am new at benzobuddies. I was on benzos for 4 years, mainly to help the quality of my sleep. Tapered during January 2019, benzo free since January 31. Most days I sleep OK, 6-7 hours with many interruptions. That's OK though, I never was able to sleep through the night in one piece.

My main problem is falling asleep. Once I am out I will somehow get those 6 or 7 hours (patience is the keyword).

So, having said that I have a question: would melatonin disrupt my recovery ? Would it be safe to use it at this point?

Thank you in advance for your advice and help !

Well , we are all different but a lot of us use melatonin.  I only use it maybe 2 or 3 times a month because I get pretty good sleep usually.  I have read others posts though.  It's best if you start out at a low dose, that dose may be all you need.  I bought 3 mg pills and break them in two and take1.5 mgs.  I bought some off Amazon someone on here recommended.  If it helps but not quite enough, take the low dose a few days and then ease up the dose.  It doesn't seem to help everyone, but it helps me go to sleep which is what you are looking for.  This is all just a suggestion, I am not a Dr.  Good luck 🍀🍀Mary

I am still in recovery after three and 1/2 years and 40 years off and on for Valium/Diazepam use, Melatonin actually helped me sleep and chill out for a few days and then I got really nasty gastric problems....thought I had a bug but read that Melatonin can do that.  I am taking it as I have a lot of stress in my life right now.

I also take OTC melatonin, but only 1mg about one hour before bed. It does help and has the added benefit of helping with my LPR or silent reflux at night. I would take more but anything more than 1mg seems to give me nightmares.

• 3 weeks later...
I just went back on Melatonin, 1 mg each night, 1/2 tab twice nightly for a week.  It helped me sleep but I felt drugged during the day or at least the morning and then I developed cramping in my right leg which became very painful......was diagnosed with Sciatica but after stopping the Melatonin, pain went away.  I have read that after sixty this can happen, not a common side effect but I suspect it was the Melatonin, also had the same symptoms with my last two Lyme episodes, so not really sure.

I just went back on Melatonin, 1 mg each night, 1/2 tab twice nightly for a week.  It helped me sleep but I felt drugged during the day or at least the morning and then I developed cramping in my right leg which became very painful......was diagnosed with Sciatica but after stopping the Melatonin, pain went away.  I have read that after sixty this can happen, not a common side effect but I suspect it was the Melatonin, also had the same symptoms with my last two Lyme episodes, so not really sure.

That is really hard to answer Spazzie, seems different people have different responses.  I take 1.5 mgs but I don't have to take it often.  Could you cut the times down a week and see what that does.  Some good nights are better than none and may cut it enough you won't get cramps.  Just a suggestion.  Good luck, Happy Easter 🥕🐇🥕🐇🐣.    Mary 🌺