DLMT'd V from 15-12.75mg, nausea, need advice

[Ja...]

I've been tapering valium .04mg per day using liquid and pills. I started at 15mg and have gotten down to about 12.75mg. At my current pace I would be able to get to 10mg by the summer.

I'm starting to have bad days of nausea, exhaustion... I have to force feed myself. Sleeping about 5 hours a night without an additional sleep aid, although I occasionally take Remeron or Hydroxyzine to get more sleep.

Should I slow my taper rate? Hold the dose for a week or so? Or is it okay to taper through the kind of symptoms I'm having?

I'm a professor and my spring break is just ending. I start teaching again next week. I took a job as a supervisor at a summer camp that would start in June, but given how I feel now, I'm thinking I should pull out of the summer camp job. I would be living at the camp, working 6 days a week, 10 hours a day, overseeing 50 campers (with special needs) and 15 counselors in the Summer heat - probably the opposite environment you want to be in when in withdrawal.

Do a short hold, and take an OTC anti-nausea med.

Most tapers, no matter how well planned and executed, will occasionally cause some sxs.  Address them with common OTC meds, or Rx where appropriate.

Most tapers, no matter how well planned and executed, will occasionally cause some sxs.  Address them with common OTC meds, or Rx where appropriate.

Thanks, Builder. I will try a short hold...

I look at your signature lines and see it took you 2 years to go from 9-0mg. If that's the sensible pace to go by, I have 2+ years of tapering ahead of me. I was hoping to be done by June 2020, but I know I know throw the timeline expectations away and listen to my body - so goes the conventional wisdom on BB. It's just hard to reckon I'll be drinking this poison for so much longer. :-/

Thanks, Builder. I will try a short hold...

I look at your signature lines and see it took you 2 years to go from 9-0mg. If that's the sensible pace to go by, I have 2+ years of tapering ahead of me. I was hoping to be done by June 2020, but I know I know throw the timeline expectations away and listen to my body - so goes the conventional wisdom on BB. It's just hard to reckon I'll be drinking this poison for so much longer. :-/

My parameters were tolerability and functionality, over speed.  And there were probably periods in my taper I could have gone fasster.

And if you look a little more, there were actually about a total of 3 months where I was doing convenience holds.  I held at even tablet doses prior to scheduled travel plans so I didn't need to bother with my taper when travelling.

I probably could have done the whole thing in about 18 months, but as I said, that wasn't a priority.

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread you two, just what I needed. On Diaz Seroquel Pregabalin Mirtazipine ugggg

I am Diaz down from 17.5 taking 1.25 off daily per week to start.  I am not afraid to go slower.

Paradoxically I feel less anxious on less diazepam, but more somatic symptoms.

In extremis I take prochlorperizine 3 mg. 

The mirtazipine causes midday muscle tension so hope to drop that from 15 to 7.5 during a valium hold. I would not use mirtazipine for sleep as you can feel the serotonin surge unless it’s my imagination.

Keep up the good work Builder

Dickie

I have done CT thirty years ago from 30 to 6 mg without pain, but as Bob Dylan says

“I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now”