Top five things to do to get rid of your anxiety

[bl...]

Distractions of all kind, stay in the present, don't worry for the future (hard to do though), don't regret the things that happened in the past....I think these are extremelly important when we go through the w/d or post w/d process...pushing the worries down the road is what we have to do now.

Im no expert, But I also found having a "go to" thought or memory/place to be a help.. Esp if I could get to it quick enough...

:)

Physical exercise.  I've dumped a ton of anxiety just by doing two sets of push-ups.  Also, you have to learn to just "sit" with your anxiety.  Don't judge it, don't fear it, just "be" with it.  That takes some of its power away.

Physical exercise.  I've dumped a ton of anxiety just by doing two sets of push-ups.  Also, you have to learn to just "sit" with your anxiety.  Don't judge it, don't fear it, just "be" with it.  That takes some of its power away.

WORD! imadavea

I get on my bike and ride. Some days I can only do 25 miles but most days I do 36 miles. I fight anxiety with getting my heart rate up.

My bike is my only vehicle...(if you were questioning how I do that daily).

I also agree to "sit with the anxiety" it might be uncomfortable but breathing deep and knowing the episode will last a few minutes.

Also, housework. My house has never been so clean and I am on game with the laundry...So Distraction is a good one too.

slow deep belly breathing will help also  not fill you lungs breathing fill you diaphragm and belly breathing it will calm you down

Guided meditations for deep relaxation on YouTube have been very helpful to me.  I use them mostly after work when I can really let go of my day and let my body relax.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone:

All great tips! I am still struggling with social/health anxiety after 15 months off Ativan; however, during my last four hellish journey I have learned a lot of coping skills to deal with this beast. I believe that whatever exercise you can tolerate and do with determination and discipline will have a positive impact in your mood and ioverall health. I have become a Yoga, Qi Qong, Tai Chi fan and do it almost every day at home or at gym. Also when I was at my worst with my cognitive decline due to benzo withdrawal, I took the risk of embarking on  learning a new skills that I always wanted to do, and that is how to play the piano and read music. At the beginning it was very hard just trying to read a music paragraph, and in fact it added to my frustration and anxiety; but I persisted and now I am at intermediate level and can play an enjoy beautiful pieces. I believe in neuroplasticity. Benzos have altered our receptors mimicking 'brain damage'; at least that is how I felt for a long time. Getting out of my comfort zone not avoiding the anxiety and giving my brain a workout is paying off. All my physical symptoms are gone, but I still have work to do to have better control of my thought patterns. Since I have been diagnosed with GAD, I know that this is something that I will have to deal with the rest of my life more likely; but acquiring some skills to deal with them will beat taking benzos anytime. I swear I will never take a benzo again...I hope not!

Skills that help me: Acceptance, embrace and understand your fears, work your thoughts through, mindfulness, meditation, yoga, swimming, nature walking, breathing techniques, praying (lots of it), an anti-anxiety diet and a calmer environment at home/lifestyle, music therapy, color therapy, pet therapy, art therapy, acupuncture, massage (whatever therapy may work for you), going to work (as much as you can withstand; fortunately I work freelance, watching funny movies, games, volunteering at your favorite non profit/church.

"I am breathing now consciously throughout my life, and it is wonderful", "The only person that stands against you is you",  Easton Hamilton, The Reach Approach"

Best wishes

Hello everyone:

All great tips! I am still struggling with social/health anxiety after 15 months off Ativan; however, during my last four hellish journey I have learned a lot of coping skills to deal with this beast. I believe that whatever exercise you can tolerate and do with determination and discipline will have a positive impact in your mood and ioverall health. I have become a Yoga, Qi Qong, Tai Chi fan and do it almost every day at home or at gym. Also when I was at my worst with my cognitive decline due to benzo withdrawal, I took the risk of embarking on  learning a new skills that I always wanted to do, and that is how to play the piano and read music. At the beginning it was very hard just trying to read a music paragraph, and in fact it added to my frustration and anxiety; but I persisted and now I am at intermediate level and can play an enjoy beautiful pieces. I believe in neuroplasticity. Benzos have altered our receptors mimicking 'brain damage'; at least that is how I felt for a long time. Getting out of my comfort zone not avoiding the anxiety and giving my brain a workout is paying off. All my physical symptoms are gone, but I still have work to do to have better control of my thought patterns. Since I have been diagnosed with GAD, I know that this is something that I will have to deal with the rest of my life more likely; but acquiring some skills to deal with them will beat taking benzos anytime. I swear I will never take a benzo again...I hope not!

Skills that help me: Acceptance, embrace and understand your fears, work your thoughts through, mindfulness, meditation, yoga, swimming, nature walking, breathing techniques, praying (lots of it), an anti-anxiety diet and a calmer environment at home/lifestyle, music therapy, color therapy, pet therapy, art therapy, acupuncture, massage (whatever therapy may work for you), going to work (as much as you can withstand; fortunately I work freelance, watching funny movies, games, volunteering at your favorite non profit/church.

"I am breathing now consciously throughout my life, and it is wonderful", "The only person that stands against you is you",  Easton Hamilton, The Reach Approach"

Best wishes

Well said  I took a hike yesterday for 4 miles that really helped me when I got home I felt better I’m in the same camp you are got to push yourself do new things get out eventually your brain will rewire itself from the Benzo damage

Very true bluepm

If someone tells us to "snap out of it" we feel agrieved but oddly if we do it for ourselves it takes the edge of the anx, but not the depression-- yet.

Tips for that equally welcome.

Dick

Hey Forty:

I understand how depression can be very debilitating to the point that drives people to take the own lives. I am not a doctor, but I have worked in the medical field for quite some time to have seen how horrible clinical depression; I have also seen the devastating effects of people who have been through terrible tragedies in their lives and have been able to 'come out' of it positively without antidepressants. I have also seen that prescribed antidepressant can be a successful treatment for some people; but for others it can bring more problems. Working in the 'conventional world of health care' I also see how poly drugging patients causes more havoc than anything else. I am a good example of that. Years ago I was given various drugs to treat my depression, even I had a treatment of ECT. Those drugs made me worse and I c/t; I don't know if one treatment of ECT had any impact on me, but I was too scared to follow up. I switched docs and this one prescribed Wellbutrin and that was the only drug that helped me greatly; maybe because it targets the dopamine levels in your brain. After a few months of this, I was okay and went off the drug until my most recent bout with a benzo/and other drugs four years ago.

My holistic psychiatry  prescribed me 300mg a day of Vit B6, folate, B12, omega3, calcium/magnesium, Vit C. It seems that my issue is not low serotonin levels which is believed to have an impact on depression (I took a test); but in my case is dopamine levels which were kind of low. I tried a supplement called Adrenal Life Force which has a combination of L-Tyrosine (works on dopamine) and the B vitamins and Rhodiola (and vitamins) and it worked like a charm for me. I believe that in my case, a good supplementation and ratios of all these combined vitamins help me greatly. I rather do this than ECT and 'drugs'. The latter might work for people who are truly clinically depressed or some have a more severe form of mental illness. However, people who are not in that level of disability should try an alternative way to deal with it. All those tips that I have acquired in the last years help me deal with my depression as well. It is a matter of some experimentation and getting to know ones body. Some people believe that one can get all the necessary vitamins/minerals through diet. I believe that, yes, food can be 'medicine'; but I don't have a perfect diet/nutrition; plus we live in a world that most of our 'natural' foods are so depleted of their nutrition because of modern agriculture; so supplementing is a good option.

Sorry, I forgot to post something that might help. I am trying this site to learn more about anxiety:

www.cbt4panic.org    I am learning that  we have a built in force that triggers our anxiety self-defense mechanism which is okay because we need it to save our lives from dangerous situations (so we actually don't want to get rid of it all together).  Stress doesn't really have an impact on anxiety; one can have anxiety out of the blue. What we want to get rid of is our pervasive, negative, inner voices/thoughts to deal with anxiety. Anxiety is a reaction of our perceived thoughts/world; so learning about CBT can help.

Good luck

Solo

Thanks for that I am on a similar regime

B1,B3,B6,B12, Magneium Vit E, Vit D , plant sterols and omega. All in sensible doses.

My depression is mainly reactive complicated  PTSD and the psychs say untreatable. But I live in hope.

Try to read Van de Kalk or watch his video on u tube.  Easy to see his points on anxiety.

Best wishes

Dickie

Solyluna… you have done what I  need to do.  I am early but am working on a plan to implement every day.  The Tai chi and qi jong have helped even in acute w/d.  Absolutely believe the science behind neuroplasticity.  Are you or anyone else familiar with DNRS with Gupta or Annie Hopper?  I thought this practice would be much more common on this site but can't seem to find much info or feedback.  Thanks for your input!

Hi:

I did buy the Gupta programme and

kept it for six months and returned it (he gives you a six month period to return with full refund). Actually I did follow some of his techniques; however, when one is in super acute, I am not sure if saying STOP, STOP, STOP! will work. I read about DNRS with

Sharon Wechsler, here is a link: https://sharonwachsler.com/  DNRS helped her and her story is amazing! Never heard of Annie Hopper but I will check her out.

I love Qi Qong/Tai chi, sometimes I combine it with some yoga. Wish you success in your plan and much healing your way!

I believe strongly in neuroplasticity.  Downgrading the amygdala is so important in anxiety.

Today was a bad day so I got cross with myself and mowed the lawn.

Very therapeutic, so I did some tree surgery which is good for the soul as long as the chain saw is carving a wake through the overgrown trees by the stream. !

Keep well folks

Dickie

Thanks Solyluna...I read Sharon Weschler and her amazing long journey.  She used Annie Hopper's DNRS.  Am trying to choose between Hoppers and Guptas.  I agree that in acute, I couldn't begin to focus or even care.  It was a survival mode for 3 months.  Learning to play and read music is the super cross training for the brain.  I don't know if I could pull this off.  I was thinking about getting a key board before the benzo rage.  Can't imaging reading music with the state of my brain.  Your story is inspiring.  Thanks again.

I agree with gats...what bluepm said is on every anxiety site. Every therapist words to you. It's general knowledge. It is not that simple and in the height of it. You cannot get your mind and body in sync. Though your words bluepm are true, but " hard to do " it can be impossible and not everyone has reached that state. It is not that simple for someone who is in the beginnings of either w/d or anxiety. I hate the use the term " baby steps ", but it is so true. I am unfortunately a veteran of the anxiety disorder. I can do those things, but there are times where you can force yourself to do those things, but they are impossible. Yes you get your butt kicked and you have to get back up.

You made it sound a little too simple. It is good advice for those who have realized what the problem is and are tired of being sick and tired, but a lot of people are not there yet and I see those same words on every site, but a new comer to the disorder cannot put the mind to the body.

No disrespect brother, but I really believe ore clarification was needed.

Remembering how I was in the first months of it. It is a hurricane, tornando, typhoon of emotional and physical category 5.

Peace, Love and happiness

Dave

• 2 months later...

The top 5 things that help my anxiety:

1. Exercise is the biggest! Yoga and kundalini yoga have been huge for me with the anxiety, or sometimes I’ll do cardio when the anxiety is extreme.

2. Guided meditations - I use the Calm app which has a few specific to anxiety

3. Deep cleaning - idk call me crazy but I find cleaning and decluttering very cathartic. I channel all that nervous energy into something productive, it physically exhausts me and keeps my mind occupied

4. Bubble bath with Epsom salts, light candles and play play a good audiobook or podcast to distract my mind

5. Journaling - getting what’s in my head out on paper sometimes helps. In extreme distress it can admittedly be hard to do, but I find it helpful.

My doctor recommend trying a weighted blanket, so I may look into that as well.

Sending positive thoughts and energy your way!

This is an important useful thread.  People have unique creative ways to get through the acute period and beyond.  For those of you early and suffering from dp/dr, without much thought, I removed all pictures of people and other visuals that bothered me.  I don't know why they bothered me because they were pictures of people and things I loved...but I couldn't connect.  I strategically placed pictures I had taken of nature and other beautiful outdoor scenes around my home.  I put them in the bathroom so I was staring at a desert scene.  I put Mnt scenes of wildflowers at my desk and many in the bedroom.  They had a calming effect when I would stare at them.  Strange, I know.  But it worked for me.  A small thing is a BIG thing in acute.