How long can I keep water titration in fridge?

[wa...]

Hi Wantalife:

Unfortunately, this an extremely difficult question to answer, as I doubt anyone has waited long enough to assess the degradation of klonopin in a home-made solution.  I have stored my own Klon solution in the fridge (covered) for 12 hours at a time with no problems. I'm sure it could be stored for longer periods, but at what point it "goes bad" I have no idea.

best,

Draftsman 

I think I will have to stick to the one day storing just in case.

Kinda "funny" story:

I called a pharmacy 24/7 "help line" and asked this. The lady there said that absolutely maximum 1 day. Ok. I also asked her if I can trust that half a pill has half of the actual med in it or could it be unevenly in the tablet. She said "It doesnt matter in your process." WTF? I think it does matter if I make a liquid from half a pill and the med is mostly in the other half!

Well, she was almost arrogant and giving me advice for taper (which I didnt even ask for...). Her advice was this: "You are just making this hard on yourself by titrating. You could just dry cut 1/4 or 1/2 of the pill every week." She said she had been working with med taperers in some clinic, so she thought herself as an expert on this. Argh. I'm somewhat pissed off  :tickedoff:

She also said that titrating has only a psychological meaning for myself, cause I get to kinda have "a hobby" or an interest by doing it. For crying out loud! I would be more than happy if I didnt have to titrate.

I told her that it's hard to know who is right cause everyone has a different opinion (I have called there before). She said that it was only a problem for me because I had such strong opinions myself and it would be so much more easier if I would just trust the experts (like herself...) and go by their advice.

So once again I'm more convinced that the only person I can really trust in these is myself and u guys who have REAL experience on things.

Oh dear.  :P

Just had to vent...

Wantalife,

I am sorry you had to deal with that person...

I will tell you..my doctor gave me similar advice..when he cut me from 2mg to 1mg of K..this sent me into a 3 month tail spin...that was hard to recover from...I then started to titrate...and had I not....his next plan several months down the line was to cut my dose in half again.....I avoided another tailspin by titrating and I fired this doctor after I had enough pills to complete my taper...

As far as how long you can keep the titration milk.....I think you will get varying answers....I have seen people keep it for several days....and it worked out fine as long as it was refrigerated......I never kept mine for more than two days...I generally made two doses.....from each one pill....so I could turn 30 pills into 60 pills and not  have to go back to my doctor..this worked out well for me....

TC

Thats good idea TC.  Make two doses instead of dumping.  When i get low enough thats what I will do.  Thanks  Linder

I think I will have to stick to the one day storing just in case.

Kinda "funny" story:

I called a pharmacy 24/7 "help line" and asked this. The lady there said that absolutely maximum 1 day. Ok. I also asked her if I can trust that half a pill has half of the actual med in it or could it be unevenly in the tablet. She said "It doesnt matter in your process." WTF? I think it does matter if I make a liquid from half a pill and the med is mostly in the other half!

Well, she was almost arrogant and giving me advice for taper (which I didnt even ask for...). Her advice was this: "You are just making this hard on yourself by titrating. You could just dry cut 1/4 or 1/2 of the pill every week." She said she had been working with med taperers in some clinic, so she thought herself as an expert on this. Argh. I'm somewhat pissed off  :tickedoff:

She also said that titrating has only a psychological meaning for myself, cause I get to kinda have "a hobby" or an interest by doing it. For crying out loud! I would be more than happy if I didnt have to titrate.

I told her that it's hard to know who is right cause everyone has a different opinion (I have called there before). She said that it was only a problem for me because I had such strong opinions myself and it would be so much more easier if I would just trust the experts (like herself...) and go by their advice.

So once again I'm more convinced that the only person I can really trust in these is myself and u guys who have REAL experience on things.

Oh dear.  :P

Just had to vent...

Hi Wantalife:

Your experience with the 24/7 "control freak" line is both amusing and unfortunate.  It makes me want to vent!  In their professional capacity, that person has no right to make unsolicited editorial comments about your "psychological makeup".  They are likely breaching ethical principles of their own discipline, not to mention engaging in the expression of their own unresolved  issues involving control and lack of empathy. 

From what I understand through reading only, Klon is evenly distributed throughout the tablet, but not evenly distributed in the wafer form.  This makes sense because the tablets are scored and intended to be divided, whereas the wafers are intended to be ingested whole.  However, if you have concerns about Klon distribution in a tablet, or about the accuracy of your cut, you can just crush a whole .5 tablet and subtract from the solution (assuming you have enough tablets to do this).

If I can make a couple additional comments about my own titration experience....  I personally feel that the use of milk as a suspension vehicle is over emphasized.  Water suspends klon quite well and gives you the advantage of being able to see the suspension.  You just agitate the liquid as needed.  Crushing the pill adequately with the mortar and pestle is the key.  I find adding about 4 drops of water to the uncrushed pill in the mortar helps.  Poorly crushed klon will result in bigger particles moving faster towards the bottom of your container.

Titration is a great tapering method.  I get the feeling that lots of people (including myself in the beginning) are scared or intimidated use the the method.  Once you get it going though, it works great.  The ritual aspect of it may also serve as a confidence builder as one builds the sense that they are actively and successfully gaining the edge over this powerful medication.

Draftsman

Because I'm only titrating .25 mg of Klonopin at a time and the smallest pill is .5 mg, I prepare two doses/two days worth at a time. I've never had a problem doing this. However, this past Christmas, I got the "bright" idea to prepare six days worth of doses in advance. I didn't want to have to bring all of my titration equipment with me for an out-of-town visit. Around day four I began feeling worse than I should have for that point in my taper. That's when I realized the drug, once suspended in water, does have a shelf life, even when refrigerated. I never do more than two days' worth any longer.

Hope this helps.