Brutal Airhunger

[Fi...]

Has anyone delt with airhunger?  This feeling of being smothered will not go away.  I don’t know what to do.  My o2 reader is 97.  However, my brain is telling me I can’t breathe.  This is scaring me beyond what I can handle.  What is Causing this?

This only a guess, but because your O2 sat is normal, it probably is a withdrawal symptom. If you truly were starved for oxygen, your O2 sat would be abnormal. However, just to be safe, you might want to talk with your doctor about this.

I have heard of this before as a withdrawal symptom but because it is your lungs, a medical opinion might be in order., let me know what happens, please.

east

I’ve had air hunger since the CT, 3+ months ago.  It is frightening, but I believe it is a withdrawal symptom as my Oxygen is at 96-97.

SS

I had air hunger really bad with just anxiety before benzos. It’s hard to say if it’s WD or chronic heightened anxiety contributing to the symptom. It is such an annoying symptom to say the least.

It definitely gets better & goes away. I had air hunger for over a year while in tolerance wd. It wasn’t a constant 24/7 air hunger but was usually caused whenever my sx were rev’d up. Now I get only get it while during the initial trigger of a wave. Lasts for about 20-30 minutes then goes away. It just seems to b shrinking in severity, intensity, & frequency along with all of my other sx as well. This stuff definitely goes away it’s just crazy how long it takes to slowly fizzle out. But yeah, I really don’t deal with it anymore unless I’m in a triggered wave or dealing with an occasional panic attack. All the best in healing.

It's one of my lingering symptoms. And it is pretty rough, easy way to spiral into a panic attack.

So Very true!!!    Hate it!!!

You might be breathing too quickly. This is normal during withdrawal. It will create this sensation. Just breathe normal and it should get better. That oxygen reader really made me feel better. 97! That’s great! Remember to keep your hand down when taking reading.

• 2 weeks later...

It's one of my lingering symptoms. And it is pretty rough, easy way to spiral into a panic attack.

I hope things are better for you? I had this a couple of days ago and it progressed into a panic attack after a run. I managed to calm down and take deep slow breaths which really helped. It's a scary thing to go through though, because you do think you might die (well I did). My throat felt like it was closing up  :(

I’ve had air hunger since the CT, 3+ months ago.  It is frightening, but I believe it is a withdrawal symptom as my Oxygen is at 96-97.

SS

Same here..I have a finger pulse oximeter and it always reads between 97-98. My air hunger went away this morning but was replaced by a difficulty swallowing / choking feeling. These SXs are terrifying.