Ativan for insomnia and afternoon withdrawal

[po...]

I take 4 mg of Ativan and 1 mg of Xanax for sleep. But in the afternoons I feel tired and sometimes yucky. Am I having afternoon withdrawal because of the short life of Ativan?

Hi powerball,

Yes, you may be experiencing interdose withdrawals if you're taking all 4mgs of Ativan in single evening dose.

While Ativan's half life is only ~12 hours, it's duration of action (the time it's effects are felt) is much less, more like ~6 hours (that will fluctuate, depending on one's metabolism).

I initially took Ativan only for sleep.  Once I began tapering, I divided my daily dose by 4 and now dose about every 6 hours or so.  Doing this has eliminated interdose withdrawals for me and made for a much smoother taper.  You might consider this approach.

Wish you the best,

sierra  :smitten:

My god - you got it! I had never heard of interdose withdrawal. The taper sounds scary. I can probably live with the afternoon affects, but I do want to taper back the 4 mg but still sleep. I want to go back to my natural sleep before ambien, although my sleep on ambien was perfect for 8 years at 10mg. Do you think I would still would be able to taper down to maintain sleep. My thought is if I got to 2mg, my afternoon withdrawal would be lessened? My psychiatrist knows how to put me on drugs but not so good to pull me off them.

My god - you got it! I had never heard of interdose withdrawal. The taper sounds scary.

So long as you properly prepare to taper by setting up a good support system, getting yourself mentally ready and taking your taper slowly, it should not be scary.  Here's the section of the Ashton Manual detailing how to prepare:  https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha02.htm#4

What's helped me tremendously is learning and using new coping skills to replace what the drugs were supposed to help with.  In our case, that appears to be sleep.  I've been learning and using good sleep hygeine every night - it takes a bit of set up and practice - plus meeting weekly with a cognitive behavioral therapist who helps coach me along without the use of drugs. 

I can probably live with the afternoon affects, but I do want to taper back the 4 mg but still sleep. I want to go back to my natural sleep before ambien, although my sleep on ambien was perfect for 8 years at 10mg. Do you think I would still would be able to taper down to maintain sleep. 

Your signature suggests these drugs are not working as well as they once did.  That means you're developing a tolerance to the drugs.  While tapering your sleep may be affected somewhat, but if you taper slowly, learn & use good sleep hygiene, you may find the quality of your sleep improves over time.  While I don't yet sleep 8 hours, the quality of my sleep is so much better than it was on higher doses.  The drugs may actually be interferring with your sleep now. 

While you taper, healing is happening as your brain readapts to its natural state.  The key is to taper at a manageable pace and listen to your body.

My thought is if I got to 2mg, my afternoon withdrawal would be lessened?

Your afternoon withdrawal would more probably be lessened by distributing your Ativan dose throughout the day.  You could try this slowly.  Perhaps initially try this by taking 1mg at noon and the other 3mg in the evening to see if that helps lessen your interdose withdrawals.  Ideally, for a smooth taper, your goal is to have consistent blood levels of Ativan.  I was initially hesitant to do this too, however, within a week I felt much better. 

My psychiatrist knows how to put me on drugs but not so good to pull me off them.

This is sadly the case for most of us here.  I've found far more expertise here at BB than in the medical community.  It's rather shocking and wouldn't be considered proper patient care by my standards.

Hope what I've shared helps you, powerball.  There's an amazing amount of information here (use the search function and look through the archives), ask questions and buddies will support and help you along the way.  You can do this!

sierra  :smitten:

Sierra, you have been very helpful. This week I might try the 3 and 1. I just worry about my sleep to see if I can sleep off 3 mg. But I will try. If it works, then what would I taper off -the 3 mg? You are correct! There is no one telling me any of this except BB and you in particular.  Powerball.