Does diazepam withdrawal promote hypercoagulation...

[...]

Does diazepam withdrawal promote blood hypercoagulation, fibrin aggregation and increase inflammatory cytokine levels? I think it possible.

I think all the benzos have a propensity to cause blood problems. I have high platelets, and these can be caused by inflammation and anxiety, what usually happens in benzo withdrawal/recovery. They go hand in hand. This is my opinion only, but I think that's the case.

[80...]
Wow, I'm very interested in this as I had a stroke during very rapid taper off a 6 week Valium use, no previous cardiac issues whatsoever, hospital attributed stroke to adrenaline and glutamate storms causing rapid heart rate of 160 and sky high bp which resulted in atrial fib, but I always wondered why I got a clot. Any more information on this would be very interesting. Thanks for this question.

I have had high platelets for decades. Had a bone marrow biopsy and was diagnosed with Essential Thrombocytosis (Thrombocythaemia).

I have to take a ‘baby’ aspirin every day.

I saw my naturopath today, and he wants to research the issue of diazepam and hypercoagulation. He thinks there’s something to it. It may have to do with fibrinolysis.

Not only the blood coagulation, but high or low blood sugar fluctuations can be caused by benzos. One can even develop diabetes. I can't imagine that the blood would NOT be affected by benzos.

I'd be interested in reading what your naturopath says!

Not wishing to hijack thread-look forward to following it.

Re Clotting with thick blood though

Seroquel etc are dehydrating ---as may be many other things. MY HB used to run at 180 (18 in old money) until I started drinking 8-10 8 oz cups of water a day. Now normal.

Best w

D

Yes, I believe that dehydration can cause thicker blood. I've had high platelets ever since I started on this rocky journey with pills, yet I've been hospitalized twice for low sodium - my most recent hospitalization in November resulted in a sodium level of 106 due to a thiazide pill. Very scary, and I had no idea. I was blacking out and bp standing was 60. So there's a delicate balance in the body that I can't go beyond.

Platelets were at 1.8 million at one point, probably due to the excess pills I was taking and the dehydration from that as well as the benzo, I believe, having a "hair trigger" effect on my bloodstream.